Anyone still collect or listen to Vinyl records?

Maybe its dumb but i actually just buy vinyls of smaller bands that Ive been listening too, whether off the record label site or from their shows to support them, but i dont actually listen to the vinyl.

I don't see anything wrong with that. It's like buying a poster or t-shirt; lp artwork is so much better than CD. And if you don't open the packaging, they may be extremely valuable one day.

I still buy the odd one here and there. Mostly blues, Jazz or old rock-a-billy stuff. The only new vinyl I've bought is the odd Misfits single.

Ouch dude I thought that was going to be a feel good story for a bit.

LOL! Sorry for the Debbie Downer post.

To add a positive spin to it. For his 60th bday I bought him a mew turntable and a few lp's that he used to listen to when we were kids.

My pops had a huge vinyl collection when I was a kid. My mom used to rip on him for how much space it took up in the house. When they divorced he was forced to sell it all. I had to help him box it all up and take it to the guy who was buying it.

To this day I still remember the feeling I had that afternoon. I never hated my mother more.

This isn't the same scenario but I was just watching a Judge Judy and basically the lawsuit was a guy was suing his ex-girlfriend for $5,000 because she sold his vinyl collection while he was in jail(she said it was to pay the money to feed his dog). The problem was the girl sold his entire collection of about 500 records for $600 which was basically a windfall for the record store. He got awarded $600.

I have quite a few. I guess I should see if they're worth anything.

My dad's collection is legendary. I'd like to start collecting soon

Yes. I have some tube amps and a nice hi-fi system. Newer pressings actually sound better. I have more than a few that go for 200+ on the market. I still like CDs too.

I wish. Gonna a get a good player and start collecting one day tho.

This isn't the same scenario but I was just watching a Judge Judy and basically the lawsuit was a guy was suing his ex-girlfriend for $5,000 because she sold his vinyl collection while he was in jail(she said it was to pay the money to feed his dog). The problem was the girl sold his entire collection of about 500 records for $600 which was basically a windfall for the record store. He got awarded $600.

Ouch. Judge Judy must not be a crate digger. :icon_lol:

Yes. I have some tube amps and a nice hi-fi system. Newer pressings actually sound better. I have more than a few that go for 200+ on the market. I still like CDs too.

I still listen to CDs and WAV files 95% of the time for the convenience. It gets to be a hassle flipping the vinyl after 10-15 minutes for extended listening sessions while I'm on my computer.

I still listen to CDs and WAV files 95% of the time for the convenience. It gets to be a hassle flipping the vinyl after 10-15 minutes for extended listening sessions while I'm on my computer.

I know what you mean. I convert them all to Lossless for everyday listening. I love a good recording though(96k bonus points!) I am not above contacting the engineers to probe them for the details on the recording. I have about 7 copies of Meddle alone.

UUkk0Rs.jpg

Just added this to my collection. Mastodon - Crack The Skye. Quality vinyl for only 10 bucks :D

I still buy vinyl mainly for 7" releases.

My dad also had a killer collection....which he gave to me and my bro when he moved in with his new wife. Amazing records, I let my brother have them but sometimes I kick myself, and I crank them every time I go over there. Probably over 1000 records in total. I love the way they sound and I love the artwork. Some of my favourites after digging in the crates:

Dr Hook and the Medicine Show - Sloppy Seconds

The Charlie Daniels Band - Fire on the Mountain

ZZ Top - Tres Hombres

The Allman Brothers - Eat a Peach

The Band - Northern Lights, Southern Cross

He has all the Zeppelin albums, the Stones, Hendrix, Sabbath, everything. Lots of blues and country, James Brown, Stevie Wonder, even obscure shit like this album called "Reefer Madness" which is a collection of old jazz songs from the 20s and 30s about weed. Even the Cheech and Chong album that looks like a Zig Zag pack which supposedly came with a massive rolling paper in it, which of course was long gone by the time he gave it to us. He even has an album by Mick Jagger's brother (Chris Jagger maybe?), which I tried listening to once but it was terrible lmao.

Bought this last week for my collection.

H2O-dont-forget-your-roots.jpg

Bumping this thread due to the fact that I've spent about $250 on 3 albums for my brothers birthday next week and it's sorta making me want to start my own collection.

Also, fuck is eBay asshole for not mailing one of my albums yet. I paid for it three days ago.

Bought this last week for my collection.

H2O-dont-forget-your-roots.jpg

Really jealous of ya.

i have a modest collection of punk, blues/jazz, and classic rock, but my record player is currently broken. Latest additions were a pair of Sub Society 7" records

Back