Anyone one else bored with MMA and move back to boxing?

I'm sure there are tons of non-relevant fighters that can bang, but the problem is the high-profile fights, rarely satisfy, which is killing boxing. You can't deny this.

Sure, the hardcore fans are probably following some good up and comers, but if the mainstream fighters are killing the sport, there will be nothing to "up and come" to.

Boxing as a spectacle, is way behind MMA, in terms of delivering.

I didn't mean to say boxers are a joke, just the industry.

Some high profile fights don't deliver of course... Mayweather's infamous (somewhat unfairly) for that, Vitali and Wlad suffer from being far too good for their opponents while also having a methodical style. But then again... Pac (outside of the Clottey fight where Clottey just shut up shop and refused to do anything) hasn't really had a boring fight since the rematch with Barrera, Cotto's been in some great bouts, Martinez/Williams was great, Juanma and Gamboa have been exciting, the Super 6 has produced some great (as well as some average) fights... I could go on.

High profile MMA fights have the same problem. GSP's bouts are technical masterclasses... but are rarely enthralling. Anderson Silva's had a series of less than scintillating performances, Grey Maynard could well be the next UFC LW champ and he's not exactly tearing the house down, Mousasi/King Mo, Kimbo/Alexander (which is one of the most high profile MMA fights ever despite the lack of skill), Rashad's style has its critics, the previously mentioned Randy/Vera... I could also go on.

Some high profile fights don't deliver of course... Mayweather's infamous (somewhat unfairly) for that, Vitali and Wlad suffer from being far too good for their opponents while also having a methodical style. But then again... Pac (outside of the Clottey fight where Clottey just shut up shop and refused to do anything) hasn't really had a boring fight since the rematch with Barrera, Cotto's been in some great bouts, Martinez/Williams was great, Juanma and Gamboa have been exciting, the Super 6 has produced some great (as well as some average) fights... I could go on.

High profile MMA fights have the same problem. GSP's bouts are technical masterclasses... but are rarely enthralling. Anderson Silva's had a series of less than scintillating performances, Grey Maynard could well be the next UFC LW champ and he's not exactly tearing the house down, Mousasi/King Mo, Kimbo/Alexander (which is one of the most high profile MMA fights ever despite the lack of skill), Rashad's style has its critics, the previously mentioned Randy/Vera... I could also go on.

Meh, chalk it up to me being biased.

MMA, regardless of how predictible, is always engrossing, just for the split second turn-arounds that are always a possibility. When I watch boxing, and one guy is clearly outclassing the other, I never get that "you never know" feeling, like with MMA.

Sonnen/Silva is the most recent example I can think of, of a fight turning around so quickly. It's been a while for boxing to give me the same emotion.

Last edited:
I've noticed, in about the past six months, I've kind of grown out of MMA. I'm sick of it.

NOT the actual sport, all the bullshit - I don't and never have given a fuck about TUF or the dumb high school drama that runs through the sport. (That's not to say boxing is some bastion of intelligence and class, its obviously not)

Starting like 5 years ago or so, I became a boxing fan, then a couple years later saw some MMA and became a big fan of that sport too. Now, I'm so sick of the "atmosphere" around MMA I'm done with it. Granted, over the past year I also built myself a small boxing gym in my basement so I became re-obssessed with watching boxing to help improve my training.

But in watching tons and tons of boxing again, I realized I just kind of got sick of MMA. I don't and never will care about the drama and BS with Dana/Koscheck/Sonnen/Rampage and whoever. I love the sport, its the most dynamic sport in the world, but when you read boxing websites, its about the sport, all MMA sites deal with equal parts drama bullshit and talking about actual fighting.

And the history of boxing! Man, there is some amazing, incredible history to the sport of boxing, just watch this video:

The best of all time A to Z: Burley

Also, on fight nights, I enjoy watching boxing more now than MMA. I can't stand listening to UFC or Strikeforce fights. Goldberg MUST TALK LOUDLY ABOUT EVERYTHING AND TALK AT ALL TIMES WITH NEVER MORE THAN A SPLIT SECOND OF SILENCE. And if you've ever listened to more than 1 second of a strikeforce show, you know how fucking horrible those dumbfucks are. I fucking hate those guys with a passion. I suggest watching the Diaz vs. Zarameckis fight with the audio off, its a totally badass MMA fight that is ruined by the fucking stupid and awful moronic commentary.

One of the things I like about boxing, is that the commentators actually shut up from time to time and actually just let the action play out. And if its boring or a fighter is being a douche they say so. Just listen to any fight called by Tony Atlas or Jim Lamprey or Max Kellerman. All can be dumbasses sure, but overall they're very good, and compared to goldberg, or gus johnson they're fucking gods gift to combat sports commentary.

As someone who had the potential to be a fighter either in boxing or mma, I have to agree with you. I still like being around boxing people, do everything I can to avoid martial artists or MMA people. I been following MMA since the beginning but after the first couple years I became very sporadic with what I watch. Then too, been around a million of those kinds of guys, even more time than I have with boxing people, I don't really like them or feel comfortable around them. Part of it's cultural, I come from a lower socioeconomic background and I am a simple person, all the graniosity which is part of everything MMA people do is a turn off. I mean how many times can you deal with a person who thinks the whole universe spins around them? I train alone when I do these days, avoid everyone else, mind you, not because I don't have any skills, but to me the craft, work and art of it comes first. It would be nice to have some good sparring partners or whatever but it can't happen so I do what I can alone.

At the moment, I am really bored with boxing. I'm sure that will change. I tend to swing back and forth.

I'm a big fan of both sports, boxing being my first love, and number one for me. What turns me off about MMA shows is the lack of professionalism often shown not necessarily by the fighters, but those associated with it, like Dana White. Dropping the f-bombs constantly is just not something I could imagine bosses or commentators at HBO doing. As annoying as Arum and King can be, could you ever picture them throwing out curse words every sentence like him? No, because even they have some sense of class. As a sport, boxing seems to have a more dignified atmosphere to it, even though I'm well aware that boxing has had its share of bad moments, too (fouls, riots, etc).

same here never turned away from boxing and love mma but HATE dana and over hyped ufc bullshit.i miss nhb fights

Last edited:
Did anyone catch UFC 119?

Almost as boring as Mosley/Mora

Mosley Mora was terrible but the undercard was nice
Saul Alvarez,Ponce De Leon and Victor Ortiz all scored some great KO's that night.But yeah the main event was pitiful.

To be truthful, I'm getting a touch fed up with both, with boxing it's more political - i.e. the Mayweather/Pacman non event.

I'm sure it's just a phase.

Its always interesting to read the mainstream reaction to boxing and MMA shows.

After last nights UFC there was a mild reaction to a bad PPV show, and ESPN (not from sherdog) ran an article basically telling the fans 'tough luck, not every show can deliver'.
While after the Mosley-Mora PPV we got the usual screaming heads from yahoo and ESPN saying 'boxing screwed you again, PPV has ruined the sport, the sport is dying'.

Boxing suffers from terrible PR, while the UFC has convinced every mainstream writer that its above criticism (outside of the few MMA is too barbaric sensationalism).

It doesn't help when a guy like Lou DiBella, who is as much a part of the current problems in boxing as anyone else, crying like a woman every chance he gets in interviews and saying how he wants out of the sport. Boxing needs to stop shitting on itself.

Its always interesting to read the mainstream reaction to boxing and MMA shows.

After last nights UFC there was a mild reaction to a bad PPV show, and ESPN (not from sherdog) ran an article basically telling the fans 'tough luck, not every show can deliver'.
While after the Mosley-Mora PPV we got the usual screaming heads from yahoo and ESPN saying 'boxing screwed you again, PPV has ruined the sport, the sport is dying'.

Boxing suffers from terrible PR, while the UFC has convinced every mainstream writer that its above criticism (outside of the few MMA is too barbaric sensationalism).

It doesn't help when a guy like Lou DiBella, who is as much a part of the current problems in boxing as anyone else, crying like a woman every chance he gets in interviews and saying how he wants out of the sport. Boxing needs to stop shitting on itself.

PPV has been incredibly detrimental to Boxing.

But its ok to cheerlead 15+ Zuffa PPVs? Thanks for proving the double standard.

Nope...not at all. I didn't buy this PPV, nor did I rush to go see henderson vs Franklin.

It's becoming more and more embarrassing to admit that I like MMA.

Waaaay too douche-baggy. These hyper-aggressive frat boys with backwards baseball caps are all over it.

Boxing has classier people as fans.

Back