Anyone one else bored with MMA and move back to boxing?

I dont want to say that Im bored with MMA, but I am really selective as to what fights/cards I watch. If anything, I've tuned out the Dana White/Joe Rogan hype machine a long time ago.

You can enjoy both sports, but I do prefer a big boxing fight over MMA fight any day.

I'm a big fan of both sports, boxing being my first love, and number one for me. What turns me off about MMA shows is the lack of professionalism often shown not necessarily by the fighters, but those associated with it, like Dana White. Dropping the f-bombs constantly is just not something I could imagine bosses or commentators at HBO doing. As annoying as Arum and King can be, could you ever picture them throwing out curse words every sentence like him? No, because even they have some sense of class. As a sport, boxing seems to have a more dignified atmosphere to it, even though I'm well aware that boxing has had its share of bad moments, too (fouls, riots, etc).

Any fight fan who says that they like MMA but hates boxing/kickboxing/bjj, is not a fight fan. They are UFC fans and were most likely WWE fans before TUF was invented.

There is a massive difference in an intelligent fight fan and someone who chooses one sport over the other with such contempt.

I just wish that the skill level was higher in mma....i've always thought that the potential for the true best FIGHTers was in mma, but the athletes just aren't there. It's probably because mma fighters are paid so much less that the better fighting athletes go to boxing. man I wish it wasn't the case, but it just seems like my favorite mma guys are just sloppy, and i'm getting over the ground wars....sure there's an art to it but jesus christ, I want to see a fight and a wrestling match

Do you really think that?

at this point saying that MMA could possibly be a dying trend is a little ridiculous imo. I'm sure even you find it very unlikely for it's popularity to just taper off, right?

at this point saying that MMA could possibly be a dying trend is a little ridiculous imo. I'm sure even you find it very unlikely for it's popularity to just taper off, right?

In Japan MMA (and even more kickboxing) went from a huge money maker pulling in record audiences and being a deep-seated part of the culture to now deeply struggling and in a situation where the main MMA and kickboxing groups are dependant on outside investors to even be able to put on shows.

The circumstances that brought that about don't necessarily apply to the US market but it should still be a sobering lesson to MMA fans. Add in that Western popular culture has a history of building something up and then discarding it... Poker was huge 4 or 5 years ago and while still existing on the fringes of the mainstream it's badly faded since.

All it takes is one major thing to go wrong and MMA could find itself collapsing. Outside of North America MMA isn't as big as people like to imagine it is... and even then a lot of it is built on the UFC brand. What if Carwin had beaten Brock... and then the UFC had to deal with their champion being implicated in a steroid scandle? What if Sonnen had beaten Silva and then been busted? What happens if God forbid we have a death inside the Octagon or on another major show?

Boxing, due to it's history, can rid the tide of events like that happening... its popularity will rise and fall but it will always be a part of the cultute and mainstream. MMA, with it's brief life as a major concern in the US and the West can't necessarily.

well when you put it like that....

no I'm just joking. you made some valid points.

In Japan MMA (and even more kickboxing) went from a huge money maker pulling in record audiences and being a deep-seated part of the culture to now deeply struggling and in a situation where the main MMA and kickboxing groups are dependant on outside investors to even be able to put on shows.

The circumstances that brought that about don't necessarily apply to the US market but it should still be a sobering lesson to MMA fans. Add in that Western popular culture has a history of building something up and then discarding it... Poker was huge 4 or 5 years ago and while still existing on the fringes of the mainstream it's badly faded since.

All it takes is one major thing to go wrong and MMA could find itself collapsing. Outside of North America MMA isn't as big as people like to imagine it is... and even then a lot of it is built on the UFC brand. What if Carwin had beaten Brock... and then the UFC had to deal with their champion being implicated in a steroid scandle? What if Sonnen had beaten Silva and then been busted? What happens if God forbid we have a death inside the Octagon or on another major show?

Boxing, due to it's history, can rid the tide of events like that happening... its popularity will rise and fall but it will always be a part of the cultute and mainstream. MMA, with it's brief life as a major concern in the US and the West can't necessarily.

Well put. Boxing is up and down depending on what fighter is getting in the ring as opposed to MMA where the whole sport is up and down depending on promotions like the UFC or Pride.

The UFC might run into some problems a few years from now because every show is promoted and produced exactly the same, Rogan and Goldberg say the same canned lines over and over again. It looks cheap and tries to appeal to those who are looking for shock value, ZUFFA should realize that they have a dedicated fanbase now and maybe try to run it you know as a...sport!

As a fight fan I can look past all that, my biggest gripe is the unified rules. The reason why Pride was so epic was because of their rules + ring made for much better fights. I really couldn't care less about the fancy entrances, in fact I fast forward all that stuff when I watch Dream events now.

Just skip all the bullshit and watch the fights. The packaging shouldn't detract from the product, no matter how laughably bad it is.

on paper mma is the ultimate combat sport. in reality it falls well short of that for a number of reasons. but as long as they market to young white kids, I guess it really doesn't matter.

i have became the same way kinda in my training.... i quit my mma training and just box now....plus i hate men laying on me... I HATE IT !

I still love MMA.

The way I see it, mma discussions on boards are usually just the latest bits of news and gossip. With boxing you see a little bit more in depth discussion because it goes back to, well, I'll say John L Sullivan simply because that's where most people start caring. Boxing has dream matches between different decades, while the first MMA decade to truly matter is barely over.

So in short, boxing forums interest me more.

UFC is good at making every single fight on the card seem important.

lol, very true. While Max Kellerman and Jim Lampley tear apart all the prospects before they ever get a chance to shine.

Back