Anyone one else bored with MMA and move back to boxing?

I used to watch mma for the newness and novelty factor, but after a while, all of the fights have become similar.....boxing is definitely stomping it out as far as i'm concerned, i hope mma survives but it's pretty unlikely

the UFC is like Facebook. It will die soon!

is anybody else pissed off that Muay Thai and Kickboxing haven't caught on in the states yet?
I saw the contender Muay Thai recently and thought it was great.Boxing is by far my favorite combat sport but I'm sick of these other disciplines not getting the recognition they deserve.

is anybody else pissed off that Muay Thai and Kickboxing haven't caught on in the states yet?
I saw the contender Muay Thai recently and thought it was great.Boxing is by far my favorite combat sport but I'm sick of these other disciplines not getting the recognition they deserve.

That's a good point because it seems people want to see high end striking but yet for some reason we only have boxing in the US. I would love to see more Muay Thai in here but for some reason people (not all) disregard it with the attitude "They aren't as good a boxers..." I don't know if there is going to a shift in that thought anytime soon.

lol, very true. While Max Kellerman and Jim Lampley tear apart all the prospects before they ever get a chance to shine.

Yeah. Part of that is because Goldy and Rogan are on UFC's payroll. They have to hype the prospects and UFC fighters up.

Lampley/Merchant and etc don't have that obligation.

mma is NOT ufc, and acutally i was bored out of mind with last weeks ppv boxing event, and to think i shelled out $50 for that junk.

Boxing is as dead as dead can get. There are a handful(and I'm being generous), of exciting boxers, but all the BS politics of the sport ruin any chances for good match-ups.

When Mosley still has some of the spotlight, and is percieved worthy of PPV sales, something is wrong with Boxing. It'd be like if Ken Shamrock was still considered a top level fighter, and they were still feeding us Shamrock/Ortiz 17, as if it was relevant.

Boxing is an absolute joke these days. I will probably never get interested in it ever again.

Boxing is as dead as dead can get. There are a handful(and I'm being generous), of exciting boxers, but all the BS politics of the sport ruin any chances for good match-ups.

When Mosley still has some of the spotlight, and is percieved worthy of PPV sales, something is wrong with Boxing. It'd be like if Ken Shamrock was still considered a top level fighter, and they were still feeding us Shamrock/Ortiz 17, as if it was relevant.

Boxing is an absolute joke these days. I will probably never get interested in it ever again.

:icon_lol: just bleed :icon_lol:

I've been kind of the same way, turned back to boxing a year or two ago after seeing all the gay ass LNP in MMA being called a legitimate way to win

I echo your sentiments, TS.I thought I was a dedicated fan of all MMA, but recently, I realized I actually loved, and long for, the days of PrideFC. The UFC is getting stale to me; I long for the days of 10 min 1st rounds, soccer kicks, and yellow cards for lay and pray fighters.

Do you really think that?

And one other thing to mention...I've read several of your posts and threads trashing MMA.

You come off as another boxing elitist douche who can't stand that fact that there is another marquee combat sport.

I seriously don't understand people like you, (boxing only) or (mma only) types of mindsets..

you are no different than the fu*ktards in Heavies who say "boxing is dead blah blah"

I agree with some points.. in MMA i see alot of unconditioned athletes with Zero boxing skills. Dont get me wrong i like MMA but since i train in a good Boxing gym im leaning towards the second one.

It surprises me, definitely.

Not so much that k1 itself isn't highly popular in America, but I'm surprised someone hasn't taken advantage by creating an ultimate striking contest. Make a perfect set of rules for kickboxing, muay thai, san shou, karate, etc and I don't see how it can lose.

I never left Boxing....but I agree with TS....MMA is starting to bore me lately....wrestling is scored more than striking...and all this lay and praying is just boring....

I rather watch a K-1 than most MMA cards....

Yea, it doesn't have to be one or the other. I've always been a fan of boxing and just as big of a fan of MMA. It's ok, it's like liking soccer and football, I don't understand why it has to be mutually exclusive to some people. But I get what you're getting at though, sometimes you're just craving more than the other.

Oh God... this again.

Yes... only a handful of exciting boxers across the whole world. A handful (if he's generous!). Cant this be included along with "there's no prospects in boxing" and "there's no fighter to carry boxing after Oscar/Mayweather/Pac" as quotes that pretty much spell out that whoever says them has no idea what they're talking about.

And can you give me all these big fights that BS politics are preventing? I'll be generous and really stretch the definition to give you the biggest list I can.

Vitali/Haye
Wlad/Haye
Bradley/Alexander
Mayweather/Pac
Gamboa/Celestino
Juanma/Celestino
Ward/Dirrell (and that's not politics it's friendship)

That's what, 7 fights? I can think of 7 fights in the LW division of MMA that "BS politics" is preventing from happening... so unless you think that MMA is even worse at putting together match ups then it means you don't really have a leg to stand on.

Let's look at the headliners of recent MMA PPV's.

We had Keith Jardine (on a 4 fight losing streak, last seen losing to an average LHW who had a freaking staph infection) going up against Trevor Prangley (a natural middleweight who was last seen getting destroyed by a decent but not spectacular 185lbs fighter)

We had Drew Fickett (a fighter who not so long ago was removed from a fight because he was drunk) vs Carlo Prater (a journeyman who had lost already that evening who's last appearance on a big show involved him getting blitzed by Brock Larson).

OK... OK... those were small shows. Let's look at the UFC.

Two of the UFC's PPVs in the last 8 months have had Randy Couture in the (co-)main event. Now Randy's a legend... but he hasn't beaten a top level opponent since 2007... and prior to that it was 2003/4 (depending on where you ranked Vitor). The nearest he came is a controversial and close decision over Vera.

But still legend.

Let's see who his opponents were.

Oh Jesus.

A 0-0 James Toney who hasn't been a relevant threat in his own sport since 2006, came in at his joint highest weight ever and, as reports come out, may not have even bothered to train for the bout outside of the promotional items. But OK I guess... it had a hook, it had an angle. At least lets hope that Randy's headline slot was against a top level opponent.

Yeah... in 2001.

Mark Coleman.

*Shakes head*

Outside of a fortuitous victory over Shogun in 2007 Coleman hasn't beaten a top fighter since his win over Igor in the Pride HW GP in late 2000. The fact he was done as a top level competitor was rammed home with his comprehensive loses to Cro Cop, Nog and Fedor (although to be fair he did give Fedor a bit of a challenge early on). What in got him this prestigious bout against Randy? Beating Bonnar. Bonnar...

Mosley was clearly past his best coming into the bout... but one of the questions was quite how much he had left. That said the loss he was coming off was to one of the 2 best P4P boxers on the planet and he hurt Mayweather early. None of the fighters I just mentioned could claim anything like that.

Once again... unless you think something is equally wrong with MMA then you're argument is just noises in the wind.

Considering you only think there's a handful (if you're generous!) of exciting boxers I doubt you were very interested anyway...

Considering you only think there's a handful (if you're generous!) of exciting boxers I doubt you were very interested anyway...

I'm sure there are tons of non-relevant fighters that can bang, but the problem is the high-profile fights, rarely satisfy, which is killing boxing. You can't deny this.

Sure, the hardcore fans are probably following some good up and comers, but if the mainstream fighters are killing the sport, there will be nothing to "up and come" to.

Boxing as a spectacle, is way behind MMA, in terms of delivering.

I didn't mean to say boxers are a joke, just the industry.

Back