Anyone here just start watching MMA in the last 24 months?

This. I watched a couple of the original UFCs on VHS from the local video store that my dad rented. I was far to young to really appreciate it though. I guess i truly started watching when chuck was smashing people. Watched him beat Vitor and then a few fights later heard them say he was going oversees to fight in Japan with some fight organization called pride. At the time i didn't know anything about pride, but upon seeing chucky get smashed by Rampage i continued to watch them both and now here i am. has been quite the ride.

I had a similar journey. When I was 12 I rented the first handful of UFCs from Blockbuster but they didn't really hold my interest and I eventually got bored and quit watching.

It took about 12 more years before I started giving a shit again and paying attention. It was right around the time of Serra's win over GSP that I came back to the sport. Within a year I was watching every event and have been a fan ever since.

Watching since january 2014, almost 24 months and I am not even a Conor fan.

Yea I started during the Nate Diaz season of TUF. I couldn't believe this skinny fuck was beating everyone it made no sense to me. It also made me realize I really really want to learn BJJ.

So Nate Diaz was your Royce Gracie?

I did it for 2 years though and realized I'm not into my body hurting all the time and I'm not into losing my body building frame for this (not to mention i couldn't afford it anymore). I've thought about going back but I'm looking jacked right now and I'm not giving that up for BJJ.

I've had an on again off again relationship with actual martial arts practice most of my life, but the concern over getting injured pretty much always pushes me away.

Watching since january 2014, almost 24 months and I am not even a Conor fan.

So what was it that got your attention and made you want to start watching? And what was it that kept you watching?

I saw stats for sign-ups on here a couple of years ago during the 'UFC is dead' talk period which peaked at 08/09 iirc.. no idea where that data came from though. Maybe the senior mods have access to those numbers?

@jeicex, I know you're a data guy. You should hook us up on this.

Though I guess you never do know how many sign ups are previously banned users or long-time lurkers.

Somewhere around 2008-2009 for me.

I started watching it last week, before that I only watched WCW,

So Nate Diaz was your Royce Gracie?

Yea except I didn't like him. His attitude just wasn't something I thought was good and felt like he was trying to hard. His fighting style though is what really impressed me. Me and my cousin used to wrestle a lot and get into positions like BJJ but we just didn't know WTF we were doing. So once I saw it I was like shit I think I'd catch on quick. I wasn't wrong I learned quick and did really well. Having years of lifting weights under my belt helped as well everyone was weaker then me unless they out weighed me by like 50+ pounds.

I've had an on again off again relationship with actual martial arts practice most of my life, but the concern over getting injured pretty much always pushes me away.

Yep I listen to Rogans podcast and he always talks about all his injuries from BJJ and it really makes me never want to do it again. I always like the sport cause you could go all out and never really get injured or worry about that but I see now you don't get injured I've just been lucky. Thinking back now I even had some injuries that would last like 6+ months before the pain would go away completely.

The first event I watched live was UFC 98, Machida vs. Rashad. Little did I know, that I would be witnessing a piece of MMA history...the birth of the ShadFace.

I have yet to start watching mma. I'm just here for the twitter wars bruh

@jeicex, I know you're a data guy. You should hook us up on this.

Though I guess you never do know how many sign ups are previously banned users or long-time lurkers.
I may be able to figure something out there. I know this year our numbers are up up up, which is a great thing.

Yep I listen to Rogans podcast and he always talks about all his injuries from BJJ and it really makes me never want to do it again. I always like the sport cause you could go all out and never really get injured or worry about that but I see now you don't get injured I've just been lucky. Thinking back now I even had some injuries that would last like 6+ months before the pain would go away completely.

I hurt my back over 10 years doing judo and it's still fucked up. I also fucked up both of my feet doing some non-martial arts exercise and they are still problematic, too.

It sucks, but I just seem injury prone. Considering that and the fact that I have neither the money nor the inclination to deal with being hurt I just stay away. Maybe one day I'll go back to traditional martial arts and do a low impact karate class or something just to stay in shape and have a bit of fun.

The first event I watched live was UFC 98, Machida vs. Rashad. Little did I know, that I would be witnessing a piece of MMA history...the birth of the ShadFace.

Great event. I still remember watching it live.

I was in a bar and when Machida KOd him me and my friend were so excited that we gave each a big hug and everyone looked at us like we were weird.

I just started watching within the last 24 hours
Wanted to invest in some precious metals for the new year so I Googled platinum and I ended up here
How'd that work out for you?

I may be able to figure something out there. I know this year our numbers are up up up, which is a great thing.

So if you were just to take a wild guess, what percentage of active Sherdog users would you say are new (~24 months or less) fans to MMA?

I never understood the disrespect for new fans, I know sometimes they may tend to say ignorant things.
As a die hard fan I'm glad to see new fans making the sport as a whole more popular.

I never understood the disrespect for new fans, I know sometimes they may tend to say ignorant things.
As a die hard fan I'm glad to see new fans making the sport as a whole more popular.

I agree with you. Like I said earlier, everyone has to start somewhere. We all had a start date and for most of us it wasn't in 1993.

In 2006 I was flicking channels and stumbled across Ultimate Fighter 3.

It was goodbye boxing and I've watched practically every UFC since.

Back