Anyone here just start watching MMA in the last 24 months?

I'd say the peak of my MMA viewing enthusiasm was from 2007 to 2012 or so. During that time if there was ANY MMA on TV I'd be watching. UFC, WEC, EliteXC, MFC, Strikeforce, Affliction. . . I'm watching that shit.

But in the past few years I admit I've backed off a bit. I don't really watch WSOF. I watch Bellator only occasionally. I watch most UFC events, but I sometimes will skip the TV cards, and I'm very hit and miss about watching any of the prelims anymore.
Those were some of the best years that you were watching. Some of my favorite years as well. GSP and Silva in their prime, successfully defending their titles time after time. It was awesome. I didn't really watch the smaller shows like you did aside from maybe Strike Force because I'm huge Diaz fan and I loved seeing him as champ. But I did really get into K-1 kickboxing and K-1 heroes for a while.

Those were some of the best years that you were watching. Some of my favorite years as well. GSP and Silva in their prime, successfully defending their titles time after time. It was awesome. I didn't really watch the smaller shows like you did aside from maybe Strike Force because I'm huge Diaz fan and I loved seeing him as champ. But I did really get into K-1 kickboxing and K-1 heroes for a while.

The smaller shows were actually one reason I thought that time was so interesting.

The UFC was the king, but it seemed like there were a lot more start ups trying to gain some power. EliteXC was the first MMA show ever to get a prime time slot on one of the big non-cable networks when they landed the CBS deal in 2008. Strikeforce had a long history of promoting kickboxing before they got into MMA. Affliction had Donald Trump money behind it.

It just seemed like a lot of interesting things were happening beyond the UFC.

Now it feels like everyone has just kind of settled into their role. UFC is the big dog. Bellator is the solid #2. WSOF sucks and isn't even worth talking about.

Saw UFC 17 on VHS in 98 or 99, my buddies' older brothers were watching it. I thought Tank Abbot was really good.

Was aware of but didn't watch UFC 47 in 2004. Tito Chuck was a big deal.

Started watching Sakuraba highlight videos in 2004/5.

Really started watching with TUF in 2005.

Really started watching all the prelims and researching fighters about two years ago. The sport has never been better than it is now.

I started watching around the time Ronda got knocked out. So back at UFC 193. Haven't missed an event or fight night since

And no just because I'm a newer fan I'm not a Conor nuthugger. Suprisingly my favourite fighter is Pettis, Iv gone back and watched every previous event on fight pass and man Pettis was slick

I started watching around the time Ronda got knocked out. So back at UFC 193. Haven't missed an event or fight night since

And no just because I'm a newer fan I'm not a Conor nuthugger. Suprisingly my favourite fighter is Pettis, Iv gone back and watched every previous event on fight pass and man Pettis was slick

So you saw all of Pettis's WEC stuff then? I hope so. The Showtime kick was a Top 10 moment in MMA history for me.

And I'll ask you the same question I've asked a few others: What was it that inspired you to actually start watching MMA? What brought it to your awareness and why do you think you were like, "Yeah, I need to check that shit out"?

So you saw all of Pettis's WEC stuff then? I hope so. The Showtime kick was a Top 10 moment in MMA history for me.

And I'll ask you the same question I've asked a few others: What was it that inspired you to actually start watching MMA? What brought it to your awareness and why do you think you were like, "Yeah, I need to check that shit out"?
Okay first off yeah Iv seen a bunch of WEC stuff it's awesome!

So basically funny enough I was a huge Brock Lesnar fan. I didn't like WWE or anything but I was just in awe of this athlete so I read his book and saw he tried UFC. I wanted to see for myself how he could cross over so I watched his fights and then I started seeing a lot of hype on this Ronda Rousey girl on YouTube so I watched her. By this point I was a casual it was around July 2015. Then on YouTube there's a bunch of Conor McGregor stuff so I look him up.
I'm still a casual at this point.

So after looking at a bunch of Conor McGregor stuff, there's this guy called Anderson silva on the "recommended" section of YouTube I fall in love with. I thought the stuff he did was just so cool, so by the end of 2015 I'm a full time fantatic. I did buy the UFC fight pass to go back and watch Anderson fight in February and Iv kept it ever since. MMA is now a part of my life and I haven't gone a day without it. Iv seen almost every past and present event now from rampage knocking out Chuck Liddell, rashad winning the ultimate fighter to Diaz and McGregor.

It's funny how Conor, Brock and Ronda exposed me to this sport, I loved them as a casual but now dislike all 3. I however have a respect for them and will always appreciate how they hooked me in as a full time fanatic because MMA is a huge part of my life now

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum: I've almost entirely stopped watching MMA over the last 24 months.

Okay first off yeah Iv seen a bunch of WEC stuff it's awesome!

So basically funny enough I was a huge Brock Lesnar fan. I didn't like WWE or anything but I was just in awe of this athlete so I read his book and saw he tried UFC. I wanted to see for myself how he could cross over so I watched his fights and then I started seeing a lot of hype on this Ronda Rousey girl on YouTube so I watched her. By this point I was a casual it was around July 2015. Then on YouTube there's a bunch of Conor McGregor stuff so I look him up.
I'm still a casual at this point.

So after looking at a bunch of Conor McGregor stuff, there's this guy called Anderson silva on the "recommended" section of YouTube I fall in love with. I thought the stuff he did was just so cool, so by the end of 2015 I'm a full time fantatic. I did buy the UFC fight pass to go back and watch Anderson fight in February and Iv kept it ever since. MMA is now a part of my life and I haven't gone a day without it. Iv seen almost every past and present event now from rampage knocking out Chuck Liddell, rashad winning the ultimate fighter to Diaz and McGregor.

It's funny how Conor, Brock and Ronda exposed me to this sport, I loved them as a casual but now dislike all 3. I however have a respect for them and will always appreciate how they hooked me in as a full time fanatic because MMA is a huge part of my life now

That's a good story, thanks for sharing.

It's interesting to see the domino effect and how things just snowballed for you. If you've seen Rashad winning the Ultimate Fighter then you've even seen shit that I never took the time to go back and watch. Anything pre-2007 is very spotty for me.

I'd be curious to see how things play out for you. In 10 years, where will you be in terms of your fandom?

That's a good story, thanks for sharing.

It's interesting to see the domino effect and how things just snowballed for you. If you've seen Rashad winning the Ultimate Fighter then you've even seen shit that I never took the time to go back and watch. Anything pre-2007 is very spotty for me.
Yeah thanks! I feel like as a newer fan people look down on me a lot especially since I'm on sherdog and I wasn't a part of the "pride era" which is sad because we all have to get into this sport somehow

I will say 1 thing. McGregor, Rousey and Lesnar might cop criticism, but the way all 3 exposed me shows they are great for this sport because I have bought every PPV since UFC 193 and I am a fanatic.

I would suggest to any new people to watch TUF. It will give u a great understanding of the level these fighters are on

Yeah thanks! I feel like as a newer fan people look down on me a lot especially since I'm on sherdog and I wasn't a part of the "pride era" which is sad because we all have to get into this sport somehow

I will say 1 thing. McGregor, Rousey and Lesnar might cop criticism, but the way all 3 exposed me shows they are great for this sport because I have bought every PPV since UFC 193 and I am a fanatic.

I would suggest to any new people to watch TUF. It will give u a great understanding of the level these fighters are on
Heh, haven't purchased a PPV since 194, was boycotting till Aldo got his rematch. May break my stint on the 30'th.

i heard alot of people are now watching mma with sticks.

Fuck 'em. Everyone was a new fan at some point or another. It sounds like you've really done your homework anyway so your opinion is valid.

As for being part of the Pride era, I came in almost at the exact moment that Pride died so I missed out on that too. I wished I haven't but it is what it is.

I've enjoyed watching all three fight. MMA needs big, polarizing personalities like that. They keep things entertaining and, as you say, they bring new fans in.

I remember being a relatively new fan and watching TUF 6. I was legitimately excited every week when that shit would come on. Good times.

My TUF viewing is really hit or miss these days, but I enjoyed TUF 20 and 24 quite a bit.

Heh, haven't purchased a PPV since 194, was boycotting till Aldo got his rematch. May break my stint on the 30'th.

I used to order every UFC PPV. Didn't matter who was fighting, it was a monthly ritual for me.

I still would if my money situation were a little better but finances are too tight to shell out $60 a month if the cards aren't stellar. Hopefully soon I'll be able to get back to it though. There's something to be said for a reliable, excellent quality HD broadcast.

I started watching ~17 years ago but I lost so much interesting when the TUF thing happened, I don't know any of the new/current fighters. I've basically gone full circle and become a noob.

Back