Anyone here just start watching MMA in the last 24 months?

I hurt my back over 10 years doing judo and it's still fucked up. I also fucked up both of my feet doing some non-martial arts exercise and they are still problematic, too.

It sucks, but I just seem injury prone. Considering that and the fact that I have neither the money nor the inclination to deal with being hurt I just stay away. Maybe one day I'll go back to traditional martial arts and do a low impact karate class or something just to stay in shape and have a bit of fun.

Man I don't know how anyone does Judo honestly. We would do some Judo throws in BJJ and I fucking hated it. Every single time it would feel like I'm almost going to get the wind knocked out of me. I would slam my arm across the mat as hard as I could cause that's what they taught me was the best way to avoid that. It helped but you still kind of felt it and I don't like that feeling. Sometimes I would show up late just so I could skip all of that and go straight into drilling BJJ technique.

I never understood the disrespect for new fans, I know sometimes they may tend to say ignorant things.
As a die hard fan I'm glad to see new fans making the sport as a whole more popular.

Agreed I never understood it either.

Man I don't know how anyone does Judo honestly. We would do some Judo throws in BJJ and I fucking hated it. Every single time it would feel like I'm almost going to get the wind knocked out of me. I would slam my arm across the mat as hard as I could cause that's what they taught me was the best way to avoid that. It helped but you still kind of felt it and I don't like that feeling. Sometimes I would show up late just so I could skip all of that and go straight into drilling BJJ technique.

Being thrown sucks. I got lucky because the place I trained at had a spring-loaded mat to soften the blow, but if you're being thrown onto regular mats or, even worse, just the ground then I wouldn't blame anyone for being like, "This is bullshit, I'm going home!"

I pretty much started watching avidly late 2014. I remember the two fights that really got me interested were Aldo v.s Mendes 2 and Dillashaw vs Barao.

Been watching since I was 5. Still got the world's most dangerous man VHS.

shamrock.jpg

I pretty much started watching avidly late 2014. I remember the two fights that really got me interested were Aldo v.s Mendes 2 and Dillashaw vs Barao.

So what was it that even inspired you to watch those fights? Like, what was the impetus that made you say, "Hey, there are some guys fighting on TV, I need to watch that!"

Nah bruh, I been traneing ufc for a while now

So what was it that got your attention and made you want to start watching? And what was it that kept you watching?

I don't remember exactly but I think it was Bas Ruttens self defense video's. After watching that I googled Bas and found out he wasn't a kickboxer. I had heard of freefighting (MMA) before even so a video but that didn't trigger me. What the fuck were those guys doing on the ground??
But after Bas' video's I started to google bjj, MMA rules etc. and started to watch ufc.

Being thrown sucks. I got lucky because the place I trained at had a spring-loaded mat to soften the blow, but if you're being thrown onto regular mats or, even worse, just the ground then I wouldn't blame anyone for being like, "This is bullshit, I'm going home!"

Hmm I wonder how much difference the spring loaded one makes. We had a regular mat. I would have said hell no if they just did it on the ground.

I have been watching UFC for about 3 months. My friend showed me a highlight video of Connor McGreggor on Facebook and i instantly become hooked. I think that Connor and Jon Jones should fight eachother to see who the better fighter is. I think that McGreggor got more fluent movement and bigger knockout power. Aren't they like 1-2 weight divisions apart anyway?

@Rex Kwon Do

Hmm I wonder how much difference the spring loaded one makes. We had a regular mat. I would have said hell no if they just did it on the ground.

It makes a lot of difference. I've been thrown on both. Being thrown on a regular mat sucks, but on a spring loaded mat there's enough give that it's really not that bad.

A spring loaded mat is basically like a wrestling ring with a soft surface.

I have been watching UFC for about 3 months. My friend showed me a highlight video of Connor McGreggor on Facebook and i instantly become hooked. I think that Connor and Jon Jones should fight eachother to see who the better fighter is. I think that McGreggor got more fluent movement and bigger knockout power. Aren't they like 1-2 weight divisions apart anyway?

@Rex Kwon Do

59c.jpg

Gotta be me. I'm less than a year.

I think I saw UFC 4. Definitely saw some little guy in a gi wrestling some huge guys and winning.

To be frank, I never became a fan. I did some boxing and I always thought the "striking" in UFC was subpar. Kicking was something girls do. Whatever was going down on the ground was just too homoerotic for words.

It was only after beginning bjj about 10 months ago that I began to watch. I became a fan as I began to understand the ground fighting.

I now tape just about everything, but I still think the striking is mostly subpar (although I've become good with kicking). Many times I'll fast forward through a fight until it hits the canvas. Then I'll go back and forth trying to pick up tips.

Understandably, I tend to be a fan of the bjj, sambo, and wrestling based fighthers as opposed to the boxers, karatekas, and muy thai fighters (although Michelle Waterson's head and shoulder throw and transfer to the back was something to appreciate).

The last 2 people that I have met that regularly watch the UFC have only been watching for the past couple years. They are both Mcgregor fans and started watching it around UFC 189.

Back