Anyone Have a Break-Down of the "Sassangle" from UFC 120?

peidro223

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I wanted to wait a couple days to avoid spoilers, so could anyone explain to me the setup Sass used at UFC 120? It looked like he reached across his body and kinda forced the triangle with a 2 on 1 grip but I couldnt really tell and have only seen it like twice.
A gif would be fantastic too as I can't find one to study.
Thanks.

it looked just like ryan hall's triangle to me.

He used the Gable grip as leverage to dig his elbow under the arm and connect it to his knee. Knee slides thru, shin on bicep to control that arm. Didn't see if he grabbed the wrist or elbow of the trapped arm to push it and make space for his foot. Once the foot is free, it's lock it up, build the angle and presto.

And the good thing about the gable grip is that it keeps the opponent's posture broken down, too.

Ya I own the Ryan Hall series and the triangle looked new to me. Thats why it piqued my curiosity.

He used the Gable grip as leverage to dig his elbow under the arm and connect it to his knee. Knee slides thru, shin on bicep to control that arm. Didn't see if he grabbed the wrist or elbow of the trapped arm to push it and make space for his foot. Once the foot is free, it's lock it up, build the angle and presto.

i have yet to see a replay of the event so i didn't catch all that during the broadcast. thanks.

here is the gif showing the setup

CaptureWiz004-1.gif

Beautiful. As Rogan said, it's even more impressive that he got the triangle because it was so obvious that he was going for it.

Great use of the gable grip setup too. Beautiful finish. Love seeing guys in MMA who know what they're doing off their back.

Nice setup, cheers for the gif, gif provider! And TS, your sig just made me howl :icon_chee

Back