Anyone ever couchsurfed?

P

Pugilistic

As a way to reduce costs and meet people while traveling, I've decided to couch surf. The very idea of sleeping at a complete strangers house seemed weird but I'm thinking, what the hell, I should just try stuff. I've been looking at some listings and some people seem cool while many give creepy vibes from the get go.

A lot of women have very strict conditions which is understandable as I imagine they get a lot creepy dudes trying to stay with them. But at the same time they don't give off very friendly vibes. Some male hosts don't even accept men which is amusing.

Has anyone here done it? Did you meet cool people? Cut down on accommodation costs?

So what you pay to crash on peoples couches?

How old are you? I'd say past 28 you're probably too old for hostels, and definitely too old for couch surfing.

I would imagine a lot of guys host hoping hot chicks will stay there and bang them, and also try to stay at chicks' places. Guys staying at girls' places seem kind of creepy.

Saw a guy driving his couch down the road once.
Couch Driving.jpg

This has "great idea" written all over it. I'm legitimately surprised Clippy didn't come up with it first.

So what you pay to crash on peoples couches?
Nah it's free.
How old are you? I'd say past 28 you're probably too old for hostels, and definitely too old for couch surfing.

I would imagine a lot of guys host hoping hot chicks will stay there and bang them, and also try to stay at chicks' places. Guys staying at girls' places seem kind of creepy.
I'm 32 but too poor to stay at anything else. I'm a manlet and look young so I can pass off for being much younger than i am.

What country u plan on doing it in?
South East Asia. Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia. They seem to have a lot of western expats willing to host people.

Complain about their lack of HBO. And demand better snacks. Be a horrible guest.

As a way to reduce costs and meet people while traveling, I've decided to couch surf. The very idea of sleeping at a complete strangers house seemed weird but I'm thinking, what the hell, I should just try stuff. I've been looking at some listings and some people seem cool while many give creepy vibes from the get go.

A lot of women have very strict conditions which is understandable as I imagine they get a lot creepy dudes trying to stay with them. But at the same time they don't give off very friendly vibes. Some male hosts don't even accept men which is amusing.

Has anyone here done it? Did you meet cool people? Cut down on accommodation costs?
"Has anyone here done it?" I was most recently a CS host for about 5 years. I wanted to pay it forward because I'd couchsurfed a lot as a guest when I was younger. Back when I did it as a guest there were 3 Internet orgs - Hospitality Homes, Couchsurfing, and Global Freeloaders. When I started hosting couchsurfing.org had become by far the most popular org of that sort, so I was just a CS host.

I did it as a traveler for about 7 years, off and on, then as a host for about 5 years as I mentioned above.

"Did you meet cool people?" As a guest every host I met was cool. That was my attitude. They were giving me a free place to stay after all. As a host I liked some guests more than others, but I never had any bad experiences. Well, once as a host I was in a bad mood because my wife and I were not getting along, and I sort of took it out on my CS guests, without explaining to them why I was acting like such a dick, not that it would have mattered. They just up and left without saying goodbye. Fortunately they didn't leave me a bad reference.

"Cut down on accommodation costs?" Yes of course. I saved a ton.

To address some of your comments:

"I've been looking at some listings and some people seem cool while many give creepy vibes from the get go." At some point many people caught on that Couchsurfing would be a good way to meet sex partners. It slowly started shifting from 99% an org which got legit world travelers and sincere traveler hosts together, to a dating service more and more. The creepy vibe has not gone away since. Having said that, I'm sure that there are many great people still using it the way it was meant to be used. You can sort of tell by the profile, and by the references. Haven't been a CS user for a while now; hope it hasn't gone downhill too much. When I used it it was great.

"A lot of women have very strict conditions which is understandable as I imagine they get a lot creepy dudes trying to stay with them." Correct.

"But at the same time they don't give off very friendly vibes." You have no idea what they've been through. I don't think it's a good idea for a young single woman to be a CS host unless she only accepts couples or single female travelers. Otherwise, she should expect guys to come onto her. That's what many of us do. Doesn't mean we're assholes and rapists though. If the idea of a guy being turned on by her repulses her, she should not be a CS host. If she doesn't mind it, and can take care of herself if it happens, then she might be more likely to have a friendly vibe on her CS profile.

"Some male hosts don't even accept men which is amusing." These are the ones looking for a sex partner.

Last edited:
Couch surfed back in the day ....... wouldnt do it again as the wipeouts can be brutal.

Yes but never at a strangers. You're going all the way.

Its oddly liberating. Not being tied down to anything, free to do as you please.

"Has anyone here done it?" I was a CS host for about 5 years. I wanted to pay it forward because I'd couchsurfed a lot when I was younger. Back when I did it as a guest there were 3 Internet orgs - Hospitality Homes, Couchsurfing, and Global Freeloaders. When I started hosting couchsurfing.org had become by far the most popular org of that sort, so I was just a CS host.

I did it as a traveler for about 10 years, off and on, then as a host for about 5 years as I mentioned above.

"Did you meet cool people?" As a guest every host I met was cool. That was my attitude. They were giving me a free place to stay after all. As a host I liked some guests more than others, but I never had any bad experiences. Well, once as a host I was in a bad mood because my wife and I were not getting along, and I sort of took it out on my CS guests, without explaining to them why I was acting like such a dick, not that it would have mattered. They just up and left without saying goodbye. Fortunately they didn't leave me a bad reference.

"Cut down on accommodation costs?" Yes of course. I saved a ton.

To address some of your comments:

"I've been looking at some listings and some people seem cool while many give creepy vibes from the get go." At some point many people caught on that Couchsurfing would be a good way to meet sex partners. It slowly started shifting from an org which got legit world travelers and sincere traveler hosts together, to a dating service. The creepy vibe has not gone away since. Having said that, I'm sure that there are many great people still using it the way it was meant to be used. You can sort of tell by the profile, and by the references. Haven't been a CS user for a while now; hope it hasn't gone downhill too much. When I used it was great.

"A lot of women have very strict conditions which is understandable as I imagine they get a lot creepy dudes trying to stay with them." Correct.

"But at the same time they don't give off very friendly vibes." You have no idea what they've been through. I don't think it's a good idea for a young single woman to be a CS host unless she only accepts couples or single female travelers. Otherwise, she should expect guys to come onto her. That's what many of us do. Doesn't mean we're assholes and rapists though. If the idea of a guy being turned on by her repulses her, she should not be a CS host. If she doesn't mind it, and can take care of herself if it happens, then she might be more likely to have a friendly vibe on her CS profile.

"Some male hosts don't even accept men which is amusing." These are the ones looking for a sex partner.
Great stuff. Thanks for the info. Having looked at the site for a couple hours, it doesn't that bad. Some people with weird vibes for sure but all in all they seem friendly enough. Luckily the references I got so far are from chicks.

I've couchsurfed a few times. Hosted a couple of people myself, one of whom was a young 23 yo Murican chick I banged and another was a young Israeli dude.... Who I didn't bang (wasn't my type) .

Me and my buddy got hosted by a guy over in Israel for a few days too, lovely wee fella who just gave us the keys to his apartment and let us breeze in and out as we pleased. Also couchsurfed over in Berlin too.

Was an interesting life experience but not sure if I could be arsed with it again.

Great stuff. Thanks for the info. Having looked at the site for a couple hours, it doesn't that bad. Some people with weird vibes for sure but all in all they seem friendly enough. Luckily the references I got so far are from chicks.
Good luck.

I added a bit to my answer if you'd like to re-read it at some point.

I used to "couchsurf" in peoples stairways back in the day.

That being said try it ,theres also a lot of "do work, get somewhere to sleep" deals going on.

Though this thread was going to be about babies before they start walking. Anyway I know someone that did it in Sausilito (just north of San Francisco). They actually stayed in a super nice house with a view of the bay. Apparently it was some super rich dude.

Back