Anyone ever couchsurfed?

Sounds like a great way to do some involuntary organ donations.

Risks such as waking up in an ice bath with your kidney removed? Or what

No that as such but you're extremely vunerable in communist and or 3rd world countries. The girl I stayed with was a colonels daughter and as such made sure I stayed at arms length even though I felt opportunities were shown deliberately. If she had wanted to hurt me it would have been extremely easy to do so with a word to the police, worse yet if the father wanted to.

I might do it again for the hell of it but it's not something I would use instead of airbnb/motels. I would rather spend more and get more than pinch pennies do everything on the cheap. For me it was also an easy way to meet a local that could advise me on Vietnam. After wards I made 2 friends coming back from Sapa and travelled with them.

I've had multiple 'that guy on the couch' at my house, helping friends out, but never done it personally myself

I found a transgender who says he prefers to host men and says unknowing victims can sleep on the bed with him. o_O
I know where I'm staying lol
In his bed because I'm naughty
<Gordonhat>

I'm staying mostly in hostels but I think couchsurfing would be an interesting experience to do a couple times. In hostels I feel like I'd be mostly around other travelers so I would like to meet the locals too.

Fixed your post.

Ah I remember in my early 20s I let many people couch surf at my place. Ended up meeting a lot of cool people that played in bands just touring around. Miss those days when being careless wasnt such a big deal.

Dude have threads about eating pigeons.
The being a bum train left the station years ago.
kFd58J8.gif

Heard about it years ago, never tried it. Dunno if I'd be comfortable doing it but it might make for some interesting experiences, provided you don't get stabbed or stuck in someone's basement or something, hah.

Heard about it years ago, never tried it. Dunno if I'd be comfortable doing it but it might make for some interesting experiences, provided you don't get stabbed or stuck in someone's basement or something, hah.
Lol at people worried about my kidneys or getting kidnapped. I'm a sherdog redbelt. They don't want these hands bro.
giphy.gif

Lol at people worried about my kidneys or getting kidnapped. I'm a sherdog redbelt. They don't want these hands bro.
giphy.gif
{<redford}

Truly inspirational man. I believe the road to any sort of growth, success, and betterment is full of scary, uncomfortable moments. But it also opens me up to opportunities and lessons I can take with me for the rest of my life. I believe it's unlikely, but I may open myself up to risk of waking up in a bathtub with my kidney missing, but I also open myself up to meeting wonderful people and lifelong friendships. I know I'm not going to get anywhere by staying comfortable in my little bubble
This is a great mindset. I'm making a big move soon. I saw an opportunity and went for it (didn't allow myself to overthink it), and I don't plan on it being the last time, either.

Did it 1 time with 3 other guys from work. Went to a concert back in '11 or '12 a couple of states away, and decided couch surfing might be cool and a cheap alternative. Of course, whichever one of us was looking tried to find the hottest chick possible. Went there, brought a few bottles of liquor as a gift, and this girl was fucking wacko. She just randomly talked about how she was basically gang-raped in Brazil, and for some reason told one of my buddies that while she wouldn't fuck him, he could jerk off on her chest. That's about all the highlights; so yeah, I guess it's pretty neat

So this Thai guy in Bangkok just messaged me to hang out when I arrive. I'm down to hang out with a local for sure.
What do you think?
Am I going to get raped?
Should I just bite my lips and try to enjoy it?

So this Thai guy in Bangkok just messaged me to hang out when I arrive. I'm down to hang out with a local for sure.
What do you think?
Am I going to get raped?

Yes, they like it when you bite your lip. It's sexy.

I would never do it. My buddy did for a year and had issues. My buddy let a Woman from India crash on his couch, had to throw the couch out from the smell. Two weeks later he had a guy from Dominincan Republic crash and got bed bugs.

Is it so improbable that a serial killer might be a guest or a host? Let's say 1 percent chance still means you will hit the lottery when you surf a hundred times.

Seems like a recipe for disaster to me

By now it's pretty normalized and I haven't heard any horror stories - at worst just a bit strange and creepy stories. so I'd say just do it as long as the host has a good record.

I've been so apprehensive over the past 10 years about it....but I have met many travelers who offer to give me an endorsement on couchsurfing:

"Ah just sign up and don't worry too much....I'll write a review on your account saying you aren't a psychopath"

That's the gist of my experience....sorry I can't offer more besides hearing odd couchsurfing party events. If I didn't have friends in the more expensive European countries with houses or apartments to crash at....I'd probably have done it (and I met those friends in hostels in other countries when I was between ages 28-31). It just isn't feasible to travel 6 months in Northern Europe by staying in hotels in 2019 unless you're loaded.

Last edited:
Is it so improbable that a serial killer might be a guest or a host? Let's say 1 percent chance still means you will hit the lottery when you surf a hundred times.

Seems like a recipe for disaster to me
Well 1% isn't that bad. You're probably more likely to get hit by a car tomorrow. Or my plane could crash on the way.

By now it's pretty normalized and I haven't heard any horror stories - at worst just a bit strange and creepy stories. so I'd say just do it as long as the host has a good record.

I've been so apprehensive over the past 10 years about it....but I have met many travelers who offer to give me an endorsement on couchsurfing:

"Ah just sign up and don't worry too much....I'll write a review on your account saying you aren't a psychopath"

That's the gist of my experience....sorry I can't offer more besides hearing odd couchsurfing party events. If I didn't have friends in the more expensive European countries with houses or apartments to crash at....I'd probably have done it (and I met those friends in hostels in other countries when I was between ages 28-31). It just isn't feasible to travel 6 months in Northern Europe by staying in hotels in 2019 unless you're loaded.

Luckily I have two references, both from chicks talking about how nice of a person I am. One is my friend and the other girl is her friend whom she met through couch surfing. My friend just told me to be careful and be smart about it but otherwise I haven't heard of any major issues. It's probably good to talk to the person you're going to host/visit to get a vibe. There are also events where you can actually meet the people there to see if they're not psycho.

It's fun reading the profiles and I found a guy in Cambodia I would totally hang out with. Based on the profile dude is obviously a hippie stoner and I would kick it with him.

What do you think?
Am I going to get raped?

"Now bangkok has him"

My friend says this scene always reminds him of bangkok(he was high as a kite there lol)

I think you should read the book The Beach before you go.

Just be honest with yourself you want to bang a hot euro chick in paradise while you pretend to be cultured.

So couchsurfing is a gay dating platform?
I've posted publicly that I am traveling to certain cities and I have been getting swamped with messages from dudes. It's impossible to tell through the internet, but a lot of these guys give off a gay vibe. Which is fine, but it makes wonder if they are expecting more than just a hang out. One dude from Vietnam sent me a bunch of tips to do in his city and I responded with a "Thanks, bro! Let's grab a beer or something if you're free." And he talks about how good I look and that I have a "beautiful smile." Yup, this guy is hitting on me for sure.

On another note, one guy offered to host me and I said I'm open to it. He's an American who lives in Thailand with his wife. The thing is he writes like this: ...lots of dots...no capital letters...some grammar and spelling mistakes... Maybe a weird thing to notice but this guy doesn't text like a normal person. He asked for my whatsapp so we can communicate better and the guy only gives me one word responses. He claims he's a fun person but that's not the vibe I'm getting at all. I'm not sure. Even if he turns out not to be a creep, I'm afraid it may just be a very boring, awkward experience. I'm rethinking this whole couch surfing thing.

Good song.

Back