Anybody have insight on the ATOS Strength and Conditioning Program?

I've seen college age guys go up a weight class in muscle just from a lifting program - in 6 months. It's not really unusual.

Come on man. He is a growing boy that has just entered manhood. You didn't look like that at 20 years old?

He was a child in the first pic and started lifting and training full time. Have you seen teenage freshman football players and how they look by the end of their high school career?

You're just trolling. I hope you are banned (again).

He was a child in the first pic and started lifting and training full time. Have you seen teenage freshman football players and how they look by the end of their high school career?

You're just trolling. I hope you are banned (again).

I was 6'4 165 at 19. that summer worked hour about 1-1.5 hours per day 5 days a week. ended up at 195 by end of summer

this was with smoking wee every day and doing coke at least once a week.

these dudes live as athletes.

but yeah, hopefully town biz goes away.

I was 6'4 165 at 19. that summer worked hour about 1-1.5 hours per day 5 days a week. ended up at 195 by end of summer

Haha must of been a good summer!

i went to bootcamp when i was 17 year old and 3 months later i went from 140 lbs to 155 lbs (15 lbs of muscles). this is just from doing pullups, situps, pushups, running 5-7 miles a day, and consuming massive amount of calories.

I don't think the gaining of muscle/mass is due to PED use necessarily, but rather training really hard and having a really good diet. I think the ability to train that frequently at such a high intensity without getting injured is the somewhat suspicious part. Maybe I'm just fat and lazy and can't relate, I'm not sure.

Either way, I don't care. I like seeing athletes perform at the highest level. It's more interesting and entertaining.

A kid in the prime of his life training full time and eating right is going to have a massive physical transformation.

Full time athletes in combat sports like BJJ and MMA often use Testosterone, HGH, IGF-1 and a host of other PEDs. There are no actual statistics on how many and how much, but lets be honest. There is no way to know who is using them and who isn't, but its safe to assume it's a lot, probably most. These are the most competitive people in the sport, the ones that have elite level talent and the desire to be the best in the world. The difference between the best and an also ran at this level are infinitesimally small. You really think these are the type of people to pass up on an edge? Especially when the assumption is that the majority of the competition is doing it.

The testing in BJJ is a joke, and in MMA its slightly less of a joke, but still laughable. If you know when the test will be it is trivial to cycle off in time. Even in sports where there is random testing all through out the year use is still rampant and the athletes figure out ways to beat them. Soon there will be gene doping and other even more advanced methods of improving athletic performance. It is much easier to assume everyone does something at this level to get an edge and move on.

A kid in the prime of his life training full time and eating right is going to have a massive physical transformation.

Full time athletes in combat sports like BJJ and MMA often use Testosterone, HGH, IGF-1 and a host of other PEDs. There are no actual statistics on how many and how much, but lets be honest. There is no way to know who is using them and who isn't, but its safe to assume it's a lot, probably most. These are the most competitive people in the sport, the ones that have elite level talent and the desire to be the best in the world. The difference between the best and an also ran at this level are infinitesimally small. You really think these are the type of people to pass up on an edge? Especially when the assumption is that the majority of the competition is doing it.

The testing in BJJ is a joke, and in MMA its slightly less of a joke, but still laughable. If you know when the test will be it is trivial to cycle off in time. Even in sports where there is random testing all through out the year use is still rampant and the athletes figure out ways to beat them. Soon there will be gene doping and other even more advanced methods of improving athletic performance. It is much easier to assume everyone does something at this level to get an edge and move on.

I think the issue here is JustTheTip accusing Atos guys of doping and their opponents are squeaky clean. That's why Atos guys perform so well at major tournaments.

It's anecdotal, but I've been working out every few days for the past 3 weeks and I've noticed some serious changes to my body. I noticed in the shower yesterday. I was pretty flabby with no definition but all of a sudden I can now see my muscles bulging underneath all my fat.

I'm going to start working out everyday soon and I bet if I trained like the Atos guys (3x a day) I'd see some huge changes.

BTW I've been doing the bas rutten shadow boxing routine (all-around fighting, ten 2-minute rounds).

Yip getting the munchies from smokin regularly can lead to weight gain.

Do they actually have a dedicated S & C coach ? or do they devise their own training plans ?

I know the $$ likely isn't there to be investing into a full on sport science team but I'd be keen to know to what extent do the teams employ external staff who contribute to their

Yip getting the munchies from smokin regularly can lead to weight gain.

If you're a serious athlete I don't know how you could ever choose alcohol over vaped weed.

It's anecdotal, but I've been working out every few days for the past 3 weeks and I've noticed some serious changes to my body. I noticed in the shower yesterday. I was pretty flabby with no definition but all of a sudden I can now see my muscles bulging underneath all my fat.

I'm going to start working out everyday soon and I bet if I trained like the Atos guys (3x a day) I'd see some huge changes.

Or you'll burn out.

How much money do you people think there is in jiu jitsu?

Think there's room in the typical high level BJJ player's budget for rent, food, family, plane tickets, awful hotel rooms, insurance for car/health, coaching, minimal social gifts/gatherings and steroids? That doesn't include the time and money lost from recovering from injuries, having plans fall through and random costs of life.

There's not that much money in this sport - despite whatever LI and Avellan brothers tell you.

The biggest reason why I doubt that many people in BJJ are on steroids all the time is because it's somewhat expensive to keep doing that - and most high level players can't afford that. This sport isn't a moneymaker for most people, even at the top.

I've seen a few people mention sleeping 10 hours a night. Does anyone actually do that?

I've seen a few people mention sleeping 10 hours a night. Does anyone actually do that?

I've heard 7-10 hrs thrown around for athletic recovery , all of which is dependent on the individual.

I guess those are getting with 7 hrs are those that'd only need 4 or 5 hrs sleep a night if they weren't pro athletes (I know a couple of people like this and would love to be like it myself)

I don't think 10 hrs is unreasonable to ask a pro athlete to do ...but whether they are actually doing it who knows ?

You can only train so much in the day anyway. If you were having 3 x training session per day I'd be inclined to think they aren't all balls-to-the-wall sessions and when they are super intense they aren't everyday. You'd hope someone had some foresight to periodize how things were going to happen.

Think there's room in the typical high level BJJ player's budget for rent, food, family, plane tickets, awful hotel rooms, insurance for car/health, coaching, minimal social gifts/gatherings and steroids? That doesn't include the time and money lost from recovering from injuries, having plans fall through and random costs of life.

There's not that much money in this sport - despite whatever LI and Avellan brothers tell you.

The biggest reason why I doubt that many people in BJJ are on steroids all the time is because it's somewhat expensive to keep doing that - and most high level players can't afford that. This sport isn't a moneymaker for most people, even at the top.

It'd be interesting to see a breakdown of this.

How much are they getting as prize money ?

Surely seminars, and privates must be nice earners ...though in saying that I guess you've spent quite a bit by the stage you get yourself to having a decent rep.

Do teh high profile comps pay for your flights and accommodation ?

Steroids are cheaper than creatine in Brazil. And they're not that expensive here with a prescription, they've been generic for years. They're only expensive if you get them under the table from some dude at the gym, and I doubt that's a problem Atos has.

It'd be interesting to see a breakdown of this.

How much are they getting as prize money ?

Surely seminars, and privates must be nice earners ...though in saying that I guess you've spent quite a bit by the stage you get yourself to having a decent rep.

Do teh high profile comps pay for your flights and accommodation ?
There's probably 20 people who really make a good living from seminar tours. Most of them have "Gracie" in their names somewhere and are old, yet still active enough to teach.

For the rest of those who do earn a decent chunk of money from seminars (maybe 50?), it's likely a sporadic thing that they dedicate one or two weeks to every six months to a year and make enough to cover two or three months worth of bills.

For just about everyone else that makes any money (maybe 200 people), it's a weekend of teaching that probably covers your travel costs and gives you decent pocket money/charity donations.

Most high level tourneys outside the Arab-money funded ones won't fund travel. There might be some prize money or waiver of entry fees involved. But those likely don't add up to much beyond recouping costs. I remember Vinny Magalhaes explicitly laying out how much he'd spend to travel to the Metamoris event and how much he'd make - and they were equal numbers (although, I bet he could figure out how to get a couple hundred in savings from that).

The money maker is when people come to you - as in you live in a major hub city, have a stellar reputation and have people lining up at your gym to buy private lessons from you. Not too many people in BJJ have that. I would say most black belts, even the very good ones, don't have that kind of a private lesson line-up.

I'm always amazed when people say they're going full time MMA or full time BJJ in the United States. They are going to have to rely on a really nice support network and/or scrounge for money for a long time. It's not a great decision for most people and for any women, it's essentially insanity (only until Gina/Cyborg/Ronda came along did women fighters make any money and even then, it's still financially awful for most WMMA or WBJJ players).

Back