any thoughts on silva challenging jones jr

on the otherhand, i'd pay to watch it, you better believe it.

You would pay to see Jones beat up on a nobody with a 1-1 record? As great as Silva is in MMA, he's a fucking nobody in boxing. Might as well get me to fight Roy. IF it goes down, I'm downloading that shit.

They could have an exhibition. Tysons peeps were trying to get Savon to do it back in the 80's

The sanctioning issue bothers me too. I don't think promoters could just do a runaround by billing it as an exhibition, could they? Maybe with headgear? Does anybody know about this?

Silva seems to take a lot of flush shots for someone with good head movement. For example, during Silva Franklin I Rich trapped Silva in a corner and landed a couple of punches. Silva then shook his head a couple of times, not in a taunting way but as if to say, "Shit, that guy's got some power". Rich then landed a couple of legkicks and that's when Silva went for the Clinch. In the second fight, Rich seemed to get the better of the boxing exchange, and even clipped Silva a couple of times right before Anderson went into the Matrix Routine (well, that's what his fans call it). Many of Sliva's early punches seemed slow and telegraphed. I also recall Chonan landing a punch right on the button, prompting a wild flurry from Silva.

From what I've seen, Silva hasn't incorporated his movement into an effective defense -- there's a lot of wasted motion. His combos seem wild and undisciplined, and lack punch variety.

I know Silva has to watch for many things during a match, but according to his supporters he doesn't mind being taken down and it's not like you can't see MMA punches coming from a mile away.

Silva doesn't rely on effective boxing as much as some of his supporters think.

You would pay to see Jones beat up on a nobody with a 1-1 record? As great as Silva is in MMA, he's a fucking nobody in boxing. Might as well get me to fight Roy. IF it goes down, I'm downloading that shit.

i love to see people get smashed down to reality.

silva is a star and a great athlete, not a nobody. but to me, he needs alittle humbling if he's to call out rjj, and i'd download that ppv in a second lol.

but honestly, i really think they are just in this for the money, and the towel will be thrown in by round 3, when rjj starts showboating and landing pitterpatter left hooks in rapid succession just for fun.

if they dont, i'd be surprised if silva didn't leave the ring with a busted right eardrum

its' like comparing the NFL to the CFL. if you have the skills and belief in yourself your going to strive to be on the big stage making the big bucks. even though boxing and MMA are somewhat different , the underlying traits for all fighters are very similar. anyone who is serious about soccer, football, or fighting, wants to play in the big leagues, infront of the most fans, for the most money. ( i guess that's the point that kid was trying to make). if silva was any good at boxing then he would of stuck with it, but he clearly did not belive that his skills would take him any further, so he bailed.

haha, too bad he doesnt seem to believe that anymore.

Silva needs to take a page out of GSP's books and get a proffesional boxer to Spar with (gsp has joachim alcine) instead of bignog and see how he feels about taking out boxing champions after that.

its' like comparing the NFL to the CFL. if you have the skills and belief in yourself your going to strive to be on the big stage making the big bucks. even though boxing and MMA are somewhat different , the underlying traits for all fighters are very similar. anyone who is serious about soccer, football, or fighting, wants to play in the big leagues, infront of the most fans, for the most money. ( i guess that's the point that kid was trying to make). if silva was any good at boxing then he would of stuck with it, but he clearly did not belive that his skills would take him any further, so he bailed.

It looks that way, yup.

While I agree that boxing's talent pool is much larger than MMA's, and that's at least in part due to the financial advantage of making it big in boxing, I think that we play up the economics too much sometimes when analyzing why an athlete goes into a certain sport. MMA has been around long enough now for kids to grow up watching the first UFC events and decide that THAT'S what they want to do. It's doubtful that they were considering which sport was going to make them the most money if they decided to turn pro at some distant point in the future.

Same way that people who start playing soccer in the US dont consider that they could probably make more money if they ended up being pro basketball or football players.

Sure enough true

Silva wants to step into the Big Show, I say let him have at it.
Jones would enjoy it, and the under 20 fight fans gravitating toward MMA would get an education on standing up and fighting like a man, which this generation needs more than any prior.

Why does this generation need a boxing lesson?

I asked the wrong question. What I meant to ask was why does this generation need a lesson in fighting like a man? I don't think boxing is any more manly then MMA or any Martial Art taken indivdually.

Anyways, I don't think anyone actually thinks that Silva would stand a chance. I chalk posts like the one you linked up to people trolling.

I wish I could be as confident as you that people saying that Silva might actually win this are simply trolling.

That

Respect, boy, respect.

Kid McCoy is a legitimate Boxing historian, but I think Kid McCoy also knows as much about MMA as he does about Boxing, not just the UFC history beginning in 1993 either, but combat-sports in general going back a few thousand years.

Pancrase with the early Greeks for god's sake.

Kid McCoy is a fountain of knowledge, has the sense-of-humor, and is perhaps the best you'll ever find on these Sherdog boards.

If you have any class at all or any semblance of what respect is, you ought to pm him with an apology or even a public apology right here. Isn't your hero, Anderson Silva, supposed to be all about class and respect? What about you?

Debate him if you will, McCoy enjoys good debates, but don't disrespect him in the debate.

Me? I'm content to sling $#!t with ya...

+1 aboutKid. Read over his posts. Hes no shit poster and actually brings more to the table than anyone on Sherdog.

holy shit you are boxing's number 1 nuthugger

"And yet, here is Anderson Silva, arguably the number one star in all of MMA today, still aspiring to greater heights as a Boxer."

are you fukin kidding me? it has nothing to do with reaching greater heights it has to do with shutting up boxers and boxing nuthuggers such as yourself by proving MMA is a technical sport... anderson is clearly trying to prove that boxing isn't a more technical sport, WTF are you talking about?

Silva DOES NOT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT proving he can be technical just like a boxer.

Hell, boxers such as Teddy Atlas, De La Hoya, Max Kellerman all speak highly of MMA. Silva is doing this for a payday.

holy shit you are boxing's number 1 nuthugger

"And yet, here is Anderson Silva, arguably the number one star in all of MMA today, still aspiring to greater heights as a Boxer."

are you fukin kidding me? it has nothing to do with reaching greater heights it has to do with shutting up boxers and boxing nuthuggers such as yourself by proving MMA is a technical sport... anderson is clearly trying to prove that boxing isn't a more technical sport, WTF are you talking about?

Yes, he's gonna abandon his own sport to go into "dying" sport against a former world champ who is a top draw and risk getting brain damage to shut us all up. Yes, I believe that's his real motive. Its not about money at all!

Yes, he's gonna abandon his own sport to go into "dying" sport against a former world champ who is a top draw and risk getting brain damage to shut us all up. Yes, I believe that's his real motive. Its not about money at all!

he's abandoning his sport? HOLY SHIT you people kill me

risking brain damage? you're talking about someone that fought muay thai their whole life! LMFAO @ you

if you knew anything about anderson you would know he's been a fan of his for years, back in pride he called himself the roy jones of mma, he obviously looks up to him and wants to fight him to prove mma is technical as well as the payday that comes along with it

you boxing elitest people are sickening really, i mean no offense to anyone on here but some of the shit you guys say i just like "wow"

"he's aspiring to greater heights" LMAO you're so smug about your sport of boxing

he's abandoning his sport? HOLY SHIT you people kill me

risking brain damage? you're talking about someone that fought muay thai their whole life! LMFAO @ you

if you knew anything about anderson you would know he's been a fan of his for years, back in pride he called himself the roy jones of mma, he obviously looks up to him and wants to fight him to prove mma is technical as well as the payday that comes along with it

you boxing elitest people are sickening really, i mean no offense to anyone on here but some of the shit you guys say i just like "wow"

"he's aspiring to greater heights" LMAO you're so smug about your sport of boxing

You know, you don't have to stay here. You're always welcome at the HW forum.

Back