any thoughts on silva challenging jones jr

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
i think he is doing it because a)jones is past his prime and he thinks he can exploit something and secondly cus of the fact jones is out of his price range; but real talk, noone in mma or casual fan or boxing fan can think a guy who is 1-1 as a pro beats the fmr p4p champ-fmr hw-lhw-smw-mw champ and silver medallist

i dnt think silva could beat pavlik-taylor-dawson-forrest-judah-mosley-mayweather-de la hoya-kassim ouma-cory spinks or anyone else even w/the weight adv; i know he is a striker, but he is not a boxer and in a boxing match most anyone tools him.

he might be fast and fluid; but everyone on this list has sparred tougher comp and see guys w/better ability and boxing; an p/t boxing does not overcome years of superior amateur and pro exp.

do mma guys think that little of boxing

I just think they're ignorant fools.

When I go to the HW forum, I feel that our education system needs to stress critical thinking skills more.

I just think they're ignorant fools.

When I go to the HW forum, I feel that our education system needs to stress critical thinking skills more.

I saw a guy post something like this- If Rich Franklin, Travis Lutter and Nate Marqurdt couldn't knock Silva out, how is RJJ going to do it?

No shit.

Those people in the forum just do not understand boxing. They think Silva throwing a jab is what boxing is all about.Problem is, they all have to act like they are experts on the topic just to stick up for their favorite fighter, which really makes them look worse than ever.

The thing with Silva is that boxing trainers have told him that with 6 months of training he could beat RJJ. I think it is a stupid idea. I own a restaurant and I am very good at it. I couldn't trade places with a guy who, say, owns a car dealership and expect to do as well--at least not a successful one. We are both business owners but it is two different games.

Btw, the forums haven't been good for probably over three years now. that is when guys saw Leben piss in somebody's bed and change MMA history forever.

The thing with Silva is that boxing trainers have told him that with 6 months of training he could beat RJJ. I think it is a stupid idea. I own a restaurant and I am very good at it. I couldn't trade places with a guy who, say, owns a car dealership and expect to do as well--at least not a successful one. We are both business owners but it is two different games.

what trainers? MMA trainers always exaggerate skills.

I am just telling you wehat Silva believes. I agree withthe threadstarter and the points you guys are making. It's sort of like when RJJ thought he could play in the NBA. He was good but NOt that good. Jordan playing baseball, etc....

Fighters can cross over, and if the money is right, that

Good points kid. I think though the article you linked us to is not telling the whole story though. The Fertittas lost anywhere from 30 to 40 million the first few years and were about to sell in 2004 before Dana made a last minute deal with Spike (with Vince McMahon's blessing btw, but that is another story.) They have to pay all their promoting costs themselves, They do not have a backer like HBO to foot the bill for anything at all. I am not a UFC apologist but I as a busines owner I can understand that they need to make money. I would love to pay my employees more but until my business loans are paid off they will have to take whatever I give them (I try my best to take care of them, though.)
Comparing pay scale with a sport that has been successful for well over hundred years and a sport that has been successful for 2 and a half years really isn't fair.
The Fertittas have huge loans out that are due in 4 years. Let's give the sport time before we bash it.

Good points kid. I think though the article you linked us to is not telling the whole story though. The Fertittas lost anywhere from 30 to 40 million the first few years and were about to sell in 2004 before Dana made a last minute deal with Spike (with Vince McMahon's blessing btw, but that is another story.) They have to pay all their promoting costs themselves, They do not have a backer like HBO to foot the bill for anything at all. I am not a UFC apologist but I as a busines owner I can understand that they need to make money. I would love to pay my employees more but until my business loans are paid off they will have to take whatever I give them (I try my best to take care of them, though.)
Comparing pay scale with a sport that has been successful for well over hundred years and a sport that has been successful for 2 and a half years really isn't fair.
The Fertittas have huge loans out that are due in 4 years. Let's give the sport time before we bash it.

i think it is fair. Someone like anderson, sefo, and others have TRIED boxing and didnt cut it. So with their potential, they turned to other sports to maximize it, because in boxing they couldnt. Doesnt mean sefo wouldnt ko haye in k-1, but boxing wasnt for him. Just like boxing isnt for silva. It is fair, because all the people in these "combat sports" are trying to make enough to survive and retire on. If you could make 5000000000000000000 in boxing and 100 in MMA, of course you'd do boxing, unless you couldnt cut it.

If i had a phd in psychology, why would i work for you? oh wait, i dont know shit about psychology.

a. silva is extremely talented athlete , his speed is incredible , his feet are great , he has a huge reach . who knowns how good of a boxer he could be .

a little off the topic , but skelton was able to cross over and become a contender

Semmy Schilt was able to cross over from mma to k1 at 29,

a. silva is extremely talented athlete , his speed is incredible , his feet are great , he has a huge reach . who knowns how good of a boxer he could be .

a little off the topic , but skelton was able to cross over and become a contender

semmy started with k-1, then tried a little mma, then went back.
his background/base is karate

Wasn't Skeltons crossover boxing to K1? Not the other way? He has a boxing career before K1 didn't he?

And Schilt was always a kickboxer fighting in MMA.

People see Silva KOing all these decent MMA fighters but seem to forget hes using kicks and knees and elbows.

Koing Rich Franklin and going 12 with Roy Jones are a different game.

Remember how ridiculous Franklin looked when he was trying to land on Silva and Silva did some swaying and moving from the waist? Thats what Jones/Silva would look like IMO.

While I agree that boxing's talent pool is much larger than MMA's, and that's at least in part due to the financial advantage of making it big in boxing, I think that we play up the economics too much sometimes when analyzing why an athlete goes into a certain sport. MMA has been around long enough now for kids to grow up watching the first UFC events and decide that THAT'S what they want to do. It's doubtful that they were considering which sport was going to make them the most money if they decided to turn pro at some distant point in the future.

Same way that people who start playing soccer in the US dont consider that they could probably make more money if they ended up being pro basketball or football players.

While I agree that boxing's talent pool is much larger than MMA's, and that's at least in part due to the financial advantage of making it big in boxing, I think that we play up the economics too much sometimes when analyzing why an athlete goes into a certain sport. MMA has been around long enough now for kids to grow up watching the first UFC events and decide that THAT'S what they want to do. It's doubtful that they were considering which sport was going to make them the most money if they decided to turn pro at some distant point in the future.

Same way that people who start playing soccer in the US dont consider that they could probably make more money if they ended up being pro basketball or football players.

those soccer players dont have the essential tools to be top NFL or basketball players though. They are athletes who trained in soccer to maximize their potential. I never said silva would lose a MMA or a kickboxing match. But just like i think those soccer players have no reason to be in the NFL... i dont think anderson has a reason to be in a BOXING ring with RJJ.

btw, the tools i mention are based on EXPERIENCE. The type of experience that someone gets frmo having almost 200 boxing matches, or playing football since 6th grade. There are little things someone can only learn from experience.

Good point, Jeff but I still think I am right. My post was to point out that the story that kid linked to was not telling the whole story. Other than that I pretty much I agree with what he wrote. There is a large pay scale difference between MMA elite and boxing elite. I think it is way too soon to say that the UFC is short changing it's employees.
If you started a company that was similar to Microsoft but was different, would you expect after two years to make as much money as Bill Gates?
The money is in boxing for the elite athlete. I can tell you this, though: there were a ton of guys in the 60's who worked for Charles Tandy at Radio Shack who could have made more money at the time working elsewhere but they fell in love with Tandy philosphy and stayed with him through the bad times and then retired as millionaires. (At one time Radio shack made more millionaires out of it's employees than any other company.)

those soccer players dont have the essential tools to be top NFL or basketball players though. They are athletes who trained in soccer to maximize their potential. I never said silva would lose a MMA or a kickboxing match. But just like i think those soccer players have no reason to be in the NFL... i dont think anderson has a reason to be in a BOXING ring with RJJ.

btw, the tools i mention are based on EXPERIENCE. The type of experience that someone gets frmo having almost 200 boxing matches, or playing football since 6th grade. There are little things someone can only learn from experience.

I think you're missing my point. I'm not saying that the soccer player has any business being on the court with NBA players or being on the field with the Patriots, and neither does Silva have any business in a boxing match with RJJ.

But it seems like the argument keeps coming up that MMA competitors are lesser athletes than boxers, because if they werent, they would obviously be boxing where the money is.

I believe that it takes more talent, at least in a general sense of the word, to make it to the top of the heap in boxing, but thats because there is more competition. On an individual basis, I'm sure that there are guys competing in MMA who are just as athletic as top guys in boxing, but they went the MMA path instead of the boxing path. I doubt that that decision was based on economics way back in the day when they were deciding what sport they wanted to participate in.

Just in case we aren't clear on this- I think RJJ would destroy Silva in a boxing match. I also think Silva would beat RJJ in an MMA match in under two minutes.

Back