Antonina Shevy Won POTN Over Deiveson....

I was super impressed with Antonia's improvements. Deivason also impressed me but I'm not as surprised. He already makes six figures... spread the love

Didn’t catch the prelims but here’s some reasons off the top of my head

Well Figueiredo is champion and gets paid more so bosses may have want to give the prize money to the fighter lower on the ladder

Antonia lives in Vegas near UFC headquarters and trains at the PI so she likely has closer relationship with the UFC staff. So they are likely bias toward here

Sean and Mick could generally impressed at how much Antonia has been working on improving her ground game especially since she got dominated on the ground

Maybe they expected Figgy to dominate thus weren’t impressed. While on the other hand the brass were shocked at how well Antonia beat her opponent on the ground given her performance in her last fight

There are tons of reasons really. I think instantly jumping “ it’s because she is a woman” seems pretty paranoid.

While the reasons you listed do make some sense, none of them are supposed to be criteria for rewarding the best performances of the night. I realize there are no official criteria, not like there's a Unified Rules for UFC Performance Bonuses. But it should be self-explanatory

But I think it does fit a pattern. Back in June Tanner Boser had a really emphatic and impressive 1st round KO over Philipe Lins. Easily the most impressive KO of that card. Didn't get POTN. Who did? That Kay chick who had a submission in the 3rd round after performing very sloppily up to that point. I realize that statistically speaking 2 is not a trend, but the UFC really likes to push how they're the only sport that pays women equally. I think it's naive to believe that this doesn't factor into their decisions to hand out bonuses. And I also think that's bullshit. But UFC has never been a meritocracy, so I suppose it shouldn't be surprising.

While the reasons you listed do make some sense, none of them are supposed to be criteria for rewarding the best performances of the night. I realize there are no official criteria, not like there's a Unified Rules for UFC Performance Bonuses. But it should be self-explanatory

Okay, so why get bothered about this them?

These things are basically “employee of the month“. They are handed out on a whim

I was super impressed with Antonia's improvements. Deivason also impressed me but I'm not as surprised. He already makes six figures... spread the love

I can understand the pay disparity argument. I usually root for prelim fighters to get bonuses over the big earners....when their performances are on par. Not when there's a wide-ass gap between what went down.

Perez has the shortest average fight time in UFC FLW history and was coming off a finish of the only guy to beat the champ. That finish was slick as fuck.

Lipski is an absolute can. If I didn't like looking at her so much I'd say she should be cut. Antonina got lit up the brief times it was on the feet and had a very weak finish.

The two performances weren't even comparable and the disparity between them exceeds the pay-gap consideration. Especially when that is applied incredibly inconsistently. Makes me think the gender disparity (which is applied more consistently) was the deciding factor here.

Okay, so why get bothered about this them?

These things are basically “employee of the month“. They are handed out on a whim

Because I have been drinking. And I think I'm making very good points lol.

But I think it does fit a pattern. Back in June Tanner Boser had a really emphatic and impressive 1st round KO over Philipe Lins. Easily the most impressive KO of that card. Didn't get POTN. Who did? That Kay chick who had a submission in the 3rd round after performing very sloppily up to that point. I realize that statistically speaking 2 is not a trend, but the UFC really likes to push how they're the only sport that pays women equally. I think it's naive to believe that this doesn't factor into their decisions to hand out bonuses. And I also think that's bullshit. But UFC has never been a meritocracy, so I suppose it shouldn't be surprising.

Oh about Kay winning the POTN that was more about her age than anything. This 20 something year old girl did well on her first day at a new job so they gave her bonus. Nothing heinous here.

Oh about Kay winning the POTN that was more about her age than anything. This 20 something year old girl did well on her first day at a new job so they gave her bonus. Nothing heinous here.

Was a less impressive performance than other performances on the card. Is my only point.

Palatnikov was the underdog coming in at 2 weeks notice. He finished Cosce brutally after being almost finished himself in Round 1. Both guys took heavy fights throughout the fight, and the momentum went back and forth. Eventually, Palatnikov caught Cosce with a a cross, dropped him before finishing him off with several uncontested shots to the head. Great performance by both fighters.

Buckley kept his streak hot with another sensational KO. Outclassed his opponent and took almost no damage.

Tim Means almost got choked out by Mike Perry in the first round, but he showed heart and fought off the sub. Went on to piece Perry up with crisp jabs and elbows for the next two fast paced rounds and snatched a decisive decision despite the younger Perry being the favourite + had the advantage of missing weight.

Valentina defended her title by beating a BJJ black belt at her own game. Dominated 4 out of 5 rounds against a dangerous opponent. Maia also did well by winning a round against a +2000 favourite champ. Took some heavy hits like a champ.

I just don't see how Antonina deserves POTN by any reasonable metric. Her fight was slow and plodding, and she didn't exactly show off any more skills, fight IQ, chin or heart compared to the other fighters on the card. You can't even go by the other arbitrary reasons mentioned on this thread like giving lower card fighters a chance , fueling a pro-feminist angle etc. because there are both low card fighters and female fighters who did better than Antonina tonight.

Not that I particularly care who wins these awards. But if you go by logic, this is complete BS.

No she's mediocre her cardio,tdd/bjj and fight Iq are pretty bad.

Look at her fights against roxy and the blonde soccer mom

And you didn’t see her fight completely differently here? People improve fast remember Conor vs diaz 1-2?
And Cain vs jds1-2-3?
Those were against the same guys.
There she looked kind of decent agaisnt lower level competion

Those were against the same guys.
There she looked kind of decent agaisnt lower level competion
Well jds had a fight in between himself and Cain rematch vs hunt and be demolished him.
People improve quickly man especially when learning something new.

They often withhold a POTN from the champ fight, Little Sister v Chookagiian for example.

But keep crying, frankly you're just pissing into the wind at this point.

They often withhold a POTN from the champ fight, Little Sister v Chookagiian for example.

But keep crying, frankly you're just pissing into the wind at this point.

If it's a "popular" champ they sure as fuck don't. When it's someone they really wanna market/push, they give them all the bonuses so they can can use those POTN's as promotional/hype tools

An unknown champ like Deiveson there's less benefit to handing one out than there is to a female (an extremely undeserving one at that), so they look just so damn progressive.

Didn’t catch the prelims but here’s some reasons off the top of my head

Well Figueiredo is champion and gets paid more so bosses may have want to give the prize money to the fighter lower on the ladder

Antonia lives in Vegas near UFC headquarters and trains at the PI so she likely has closer relationship with the UFC staff. So they are likely bias toward here

Sean and Mick could generally impressed at how much Antonia has been working on improving her ground game especially since she got dominated on the ground

Maybe they expected Figgy to dominate thus weren’t impressed. While on the other hand the brass were shocked at how well Antonia beat her opponent on the ground given her performance in her last fight

There are tons of reasons really. I think instantly jumping “ it’s because she is a woman” seems pretty paranoid.

You never answered the question though. Whose performance did you find more impressive?

Joaquin Buckley should have also won performance of the night in addition to the KO of the night.

Back