Anthony Pettis future Champion??

Did you watch the whole fight? It was nothing like the Guida fight. He was up on Bendo before the showtime kick but it was very close.

Very very close I woulda been quite happy to see it go either way before the kick heard around the world.

Pettis last two fights : ko head kick and punches lauzon
UD stephens

Cerrone last two fight: ko head kick and punches guillard
UD stephens

should be a good one

For sure he's gonna be a future champion. He beat Henderson the first time and has all the tools to beat any contender. If he works on his wrestling even more he'll be a beast and I think the Guida fight made him realize that. He's gonna beat Cerrone and then he's gonna beat Maynard to be the #1 contender

Nah son. Bendo 2.0 got his number. Maynard would put a whooping on him too.

Very very close I woulda been quite happy to see it go either way before the kick heard around the world.

You would be wrong. Pettis clearly won 3 rounds even without the Showtime kick and you can argue for a 4th. This is a common myth but Pettis was easily winning the 5th even before the kick. He had already rocked Bendo with the most significant strike of the fight to that point, a flying knee on the way in for a takedown and was badly outstriking him

You're making up stuff. He got like 3 TD's in 5 rounds and Pettis stood up or swept pretty soon after all of them. Pettis was comfortably winning the 5th round before the Showtime Kick. This is one of the biggest myths in MMA that Pettis needed that to win. It only sealed the win. Bendo would have needed a strong flurry, which he was too spent and beaten to mount, at the end. Pettis drilled Bendo with a flying knee, 1-2 that knocked him backward, hook, body punches, and got him to trip over his own feet. All Bendo did was take him down for 40 secs and take his back briefly, only to soon get swept, and Bendo got his back taken briefly as well. You look at a highlight package of the 5th round, and a high majority of the highlights are Pettis', not just the Showtime kick. Pettis actually won 4 rounds according to a good portion of people, including a judge, and Fight Metric had it 3.5 to 1.5. Pettis was in pole position before the kick. That's the reality. Stating otherwise is revisionist history.
Nailed it

UD stephens

UD stephens

should be a good one

Will be an extremely exciting fight. Ill be at the event on my 21st birthday. He needs to make me proud.

Pettis came in over-exuberant in the Guida fight, that being his octagon debut, tried to finish Guida from every position, who was just trying to get him down and defend, and it cost Showtime. He learned his lesson. He countered Stephens after he talked all this shit about how he was going to take his head off, then tried to Guida/Fitch him because he saw it worked in the previous fight. When Pettis saw he was full of it, he adjusted, and won. Then he came out more selective with his strikes against Lauzon and picked the one that knocked his head in the rafters. Now he'll paint a masterpiece on Cerrone's face.

Well it is possible however I think unlikely.

Maynard, Miller, Bendo, Edgar could beat him. If his wrestling matched his Striking than that's a different story.

With the exception of Frankie and Cowboy, I'd love to Pettis whoop them all.

^Didn't Guida LnP? I missed most of the fight as I was extremely drunk.

Iirc he wasn't tooling Pettis and Pettis wasn't making magic happen from his back either. Was a case of both guys canceling each other out and Pettis getting the L because he was basically on defense the entire match.

Which is exactly why I give him little chance to add UFC gold to his name. If you watch the Stephens fight again, he was about dead even with Jeremy in the first round on the feet and probably lost it to the TDs of Stephens (known as a striker, I'm sure you're aware). Pettis would then come out to out Stephens Stepens and Guida him to a UD win. Legit win in my book, but I do remember him (or his manager?) whining about the Guida loss and then taking a page out of his book in his very next fight.

And don't buy some crap people like to spew that Pettis starting taking Stephens down in retaliation for the first round. He said specifically after the fight he was going in to wrestle.

He had a bad 2011, the loss to Guida, and that horrible (IMO) performance against Stephens. He's one of my favorite fighters as well, but it's gonna take more than a head-kick KO of Lauzon to get me pumped for him. His fight against Cerrone should tell a lot.

Nailed it

Well stated my man. I don't see how anyone that watched that entire fight closely could think Pettis wasn't winning before the showtime kick.

Edit: I meant to quote JonSnitchPhones but glad you also agree.

wrong. Guida diddnt lay n pray he was as busy as he could be Pettis had pretty good wrist control (was about the only thing joe could say in pettis's favor the whole night.

If all you are able to do is pissweak shoulder slams because your wrists are being controlled then that's what you gotta do Guida wasn't throwing GNP with fists by choice he was locked up. So he did what he could.

He took Pettis down at will and enforced his game plan and was busy enough to not be stood up. Pettis went for 1 sub the whole night and it was 0 chance of comming off.

:rolleyes:

Are you sure you watched the same fight?

Apparently not.

Pettis tried for more than one submission, and he had a pretty tight armbar at the end of the second round. Anthony won every single striking exchange of the fight too.

Clay knew he wasn't good enough to beat Anthony in a fight so he made it a wrestling match instead, a a incredibly boring one at that.

UD stephens

UD stephens

should be a good one

But Lauzon submitted Guillard... and MMA math is never wrong!!!

Lol at whoever said Bendo LnP'd Pettis. That fight was awesome almost the whole way through, and the showtime kick put it over the top.

Maynard and Bendo would be very tough fights. He'd tool Melendez and is going to tool Cowboy. I think he'll look better than ever in 2013.

kinda thinking this minus the melendez tooling. idk what I personally expect there...

Guida beat him homeslice.

I still can't believe he pulled off what he did on Bendo considering how their post WEC stints have gone. Maynard vs Pettis would be a sick no. 1 contender match and I see Pettis losing that one decisively.

Pettis is clearly the future of the division.

BTW, Guida is the 'example'? Guida has lost, recovered, improved, and, subsequently, threw himself back into title contention. And Pettis is 10x as talented. H-i-s-t-o-r-y.

Come on, man...

Last edited:
Back