Another title changed hands tonight due to an undeserved title shot

http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/c4938baf92d2dc31

They were separated by fewer than five significant strikes across five rounds.

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/6740/Dominick-Cruz-vs-T.J.-Dillashaw

The entire mma community was split on it. If that isn't a razor thin fight I don't know what is. I'm of the belief that there was no real wrong answer on who one scored it for. There's an argument to be made on almost every round, for either fighter.
all strikes are not created equal. and im not saying the fight wasnt contentious to the public, im saying to me, it wasnt. that's my opinion; i thought it was clear cruz won at least 3 rounds (though if im being completely honest i dont remember exactly how i scored it live.)

Look Dom was way ahead of the game but he isn't beating Cody in a rematch. His knee's failed him in that fight. Cody was just lightning quick with everything. I hope Dom get's a nice couple fights and retires nicely but Cody showed another level tonight.

Or Maybe we watched different fights. I wanted Cruz to win but two minutes in I saw he had nothing for Cody sadly.

I didn't say he would beat Cody in a rematch. I'm just saying he didn't look like a shell of himself by any stretch. Cody just looked amazing tonight. Cut and dry.

I don't care how many are passed up in the process, one is too many IMO.

Explain what qualifies TJ over Cody, then. What about TJ's fight with Assuncao made you think he was more deserving, and clearly so, than Cody?

I didn't say he would beat Cody in a rematch. I'm just saying he didn't look like a shell of himself by any stretch. Cody just looked amazing tonight. Cut and dry.
i have been saying cody looked invincible

i have been saying cody looked invincible

I didn't say anything to the contrary. Just that Dominick didn't look like he lost a step is all. That looked like the same Cruz I've seen for the last 7 years to me. He just ran into someone who was essentially the perfect guy to take him down.

I didn't say anything to the contrary. Just that Dominick didn't look like he lost a step is all. That looked like the same Cruz I've seen for the last 7 years to me. He just ran into someone who was essentially the perfect guy to take him down.
Besides Dillashaw the guy who has that division on lock if he can repeat his performance but that;s the thing with MMA only true greats have title consistency.

Explain what qualifies TJ over Cody, then. What about TJ's fight with Assuncao made you think he was more deserving, and clearly so, than Cody?
You've basically made the argument yourself ITT. TJ gave Cruz all he could handle and arguably never lost his belt. An immediate rematch would not have been inappropriate. After avenging a loss against an established contender he definitely deserved it. Cody had no truly significant wins to his name. Assuncao was a bigger win than anyone on Cody's record.

You've basically made the argument yourself ITT. TJ gave Cruz all he could handle and arguably never lost his belt. An immediate rematch would not have been inappropriate. After avenging a loss against an established contender he definitely deserved it. Cody had no truly significant wins to his name. Assuncao was a bigger win than anyone on Cody's record.
Preach JR SMITH gif.

Assuncao was not a bigger name than Mizugaki or Almeida. Assuncao wasn't ranked when he fought Dillashaw at UFC 200(at least he shouldn't have been, having been out for a year and a half and all).

I don't disagree that on it's own merit as rematch wouldn't have been obscene, but that isn't to say TJ deserved it over Cody. It was basically between Cody and Caraway, and I don't think Caraway is ready.

Assuncao was not a bigger name than Mizugaki or Almeida. Assuncao wasn't ranked when he fought Dillashaw at UFC 200(at least he shouldn't have been, having been out for a year and a half and all).

I don't disagree that on it's own merit as rematch wouldn't have been obscene, but that isn't to say TJ deserved it over Cody. It was basically between Cody and Caraway, and I don't think Caraway is ready.
Who cares about the rankings? Assuncao was a bigger name and more established in the division. That's precisely why he was ranked ahead of Cody coming into tonight despite losing his only fight since his return to TJ. Are you arguing just to argue at this point?

So if a rematch would have been OK without another win, he definitely deserved it after beating a top contender. How hard are you really gonna make someone that never clearly lost their belt work? I could possibly understand it if there was a logjam of contenders, but as mentioned, Cody had only beaten gatekeepers and up-and-comers.

Back