Another title changed hands tonight due to an undeserved title shot

What was Jons rank at that point. Was he top 10 ranked? I only ask because I can not remember for sure but I'm pretty confident he was not. I stand with the firm belief that if you are in the top ten in your weight class and the opportunity presents itself, you deserve it.

Not saying anyone has to agree, but that what I believe.

Jon was ranked #5 I believe. He had just beat #6 ranked Bader if I remember right. He also didn't get the title shot in the conventional sense. He got offered the fight on like 2 weeks notice because Rashad blew out his knee.

You know what's embarrassing? Losing to the person who got the "undeserved" title shot

its always been this way, match-ups are usually very arbitrary in fighting

Dom has always mixed the two pretty seamlessly. And for a little while it was going well tonight. Cody missed a few shots early on, but when he found his groove he flat took over.
Dom in his prime would have played with cody but as a both knee's ACL recon guy I see him losing it. It sucks. Dom at prime speed beats Cody he has lost a step. It sucks.

Deserved based on what?

This isn't a legit sport. It is entertainment.

Title shots are based on the bottom line, not based on wins and losses.

So Beneil Dariush is fighting Mcgregor next?
Is he? I had not heard that was going down.

Did McGregor deserve the shot in a weight class he had never fought in before? By your standard no, but look who's champ, so I guess he did.

Is he? I had not heard that was going down.

Did McGregor deserve the shot in a weight class he had never fought in before? By your standard no, but look who's champ, so I guess he did.
Salt on Salt on Salt<cheer>

Jon was ranked #5 I believe. He had just beat #6 ranked Bader if I remember right. He also didn't get the title shot in the conventional sense. He got offered the fight on like 2 weeks notice because Rashad blew out his knee.
I was referring to when Jon debuted, but you are correct. Thank you for dropping some knowledge.

Salt on Salt on Salt<cheer>
raw

I was referring to when Jon debuted, but you are correct. Thank you for dropping some knowledge.

No problem. That was a crazy time in the sport lol. Shogun beating Machida in the first after the war they had, then goes on the shelf for a while, Bader had just had his way with Minotoro and Jardine, Jones had busted Vera's face and put the boots to the Janitor. Strikeforce and WEC both alive. Plus MFC and Shark Fights for a couple shows on Friday night Sometimes I miss the landscape of mma circa 2011.

Dillashaw isn't a normal case, though. He was champion when he fought Cruz, and that fight was so razor close it isn't even funny. I do agree with it usually, just not necessarily in this case given the specifics.
i can agree with that, except that i didnt think it was razor close. close for sure, but i definitely had cruz winning it.

Dom in his prime would have played with cody but as a both knee's ACL recon guy I see him losing it. It sucks. Dom at prime speed beats Cody he has lost a step. It sucks.

I don't know that that's the case. Dominick looked as good as ever against TJ just 11 months ago, and just as good against Faber 6 months ago.

Just because someone finally got the better of him, and clearly so, doesn't mean he lost it.

No problem. That was a crazy time in the sport lol. Shogun beating Machida in the first after the war they had, then goes on the shelf for a while, Bader had just had his way with Minotoro and Jardine, Jones had busted Vera's face and put the boots to the Janitor. Strikeforce and WEC both alive. Plus MFC and Shark Fights for a couple shows on Friday night Sometimes I miss the landscape of mma circa 2011.
Yup, helluva run Jon put on. Really put a stamp on FOTY that year. It was good times.

If you are going to bring up Woodley, you have to mention how he should have fought for the title in January instead of Condit.

Don't be disingenuous.
I wasn't being "disingenuous", it wasn't meant to be a comprehensive review of the history of all the titles, I was just typing on the fly and it didn't even cross my mind. I don't fully recollect the title picture at that time, but I'd definitely agree he deserved it more than Condit. And I thought Condit beat Robbie, which further strengthens my argument.

i can agree with that, except that i didnt think it was razor close. close for sure, but i definitely had cruz winning it.

http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/c4938baf92d2dc31

They were separated by fewer than five significant strikes across five rounds.

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/6740/Dominick-Cruz-vs-T.J.-Dillashaw

The entire mma community was split on it. If that isn't a razor thin fight I don't know what is. I'm of the belief that there was no real wrong answer on who one scored it for. There's an argument to be made on almost every round, for either fighter.

TJ is one fight removed from fighting Cruz. There was only one other possible contender for the shot, and that was Caraway. I only rule out Lineker due to the weight issues, otherwise he'd have been on the short list. Can we stop pretending these "undeserved" title shots cut a bunch of contenders already?
I don't care how many are passed up in the process, one is too many IMO.

I Believe it is very hard to
Be so well rounded that all your flaws are protected by transitions into your strenght, so specialty eventually fails.

As well, smart champs lIke Cruz or couture study film. Film is rarer for generational newbreed fighters. (Less to pick up on). Body and mind ages and techniques dévelop.

True balance is hard to encompass and surprise is important

This was a very incomplète list of factors and to remain champ, your training process has to draw from those principles and more as well as to adapt to the particular tendencies and growth of your opponents.

In other words, who am i to judge?

I don't know that that's the case. Dominick looked as good as ever against TJ just 11 months ago, and just as good against Faber 6 months ago.

Just because someone finally got the better of him, and clearly so, doesn't mean he lost it.
Look Dom was way ahead of the game but he isn't beating Cody in a rematch. His knee's failed him in that fight. Cody was just lightning quick with everything. I hope Dom get's a nice couple fights and retires nicely but Cody showed another level tonight.

Or Maybe we watched different fights. I wanted Cruz to win but two minutes in I saw he had nothing for Cody sadly.

Come on, bro.

That shit isn't accurate. In fact... It sounds salty as fuck, to me. This wasn't a late replacement fight. Cody called Cruz out. A wise decision...Channel that inner Conor, and make a big stink. Cruz went FULL DOUCHE. Talked EPIC shit about Cody... And everybody else. He was fucking DUE to catch a beating.

Did Cody just start running from TJ ? Wow... I just saw it on FS1.

There are ZERO legit reasons, to re-match that fight. I'd be pissed if they went that way.

Shit, and Dana was just asked about Ronda...

" I've been with her all this time "

Jeebus...

I have ZERO doubt... Ronda is retired... FOREVER.

Back