Andre Galvao with Kevin Howell - Drill To Win - First Impressions

You know, I think intensive drilling is the biggest thing that's missing from my training. I get great technical instruction and hard rolling, but I think it would be great for me to pick up this book and just spend an hour drilling during open mat. I might pick this one up.

Just bought it and I'm impressed. The thing that gets me is how many of the drills I actually do already..just not as frequent as Andre does em. I'm all for drilling and sport specific workouts and this book is right up my alley.

Is the consensus still positive about this book? I'm looking to pick it up and drill at home for supplementing gym training. Four months out: do you guys still recommend it?

Is the consensus still positive about this book? I'm looking to pick it up and drill at home for supplementing gym training. Four months out: do you guys still recommend it?

The drills you can do without a partner are greatly limited. If you cannot get access to a training partner in order to drill, it may be best to steer away. Otherwise, this book is better than any instructional I have watched.

A majority of our class is drilling and specific training. He practices what he preaches. In all ways.

I have the book and while I can't train right now it it totally keeping my mind sharp.

I say get it!

i stumbled upon this book in a borders thats closing in a month in seattle today, i had heard a little bit about it based on the bit he did in the second isssue of jiu jitsu magazine (awesome mag by the way) and didnt pick it up even though it was 25% off. think im gonna wait a week or two and let the price drop a little more.
thanks for the awesome review though. wasnt sure that i was gonna buy it until i read that!

My main question is after you learn something in Month 1, do you still do little drills to retain it or are you doing something different Month 2? In the 1 year there is so much information, does he recommend what drills to stay with that really help? Andre must only do a set of drills when he trains, does he mention those?

I ordered the book regardless. I need to further my drilling.

Is this book really over $100? I've been looking for it lately and it seems it ranges from 100 - over 400 bucks on Amazon.

Is this book really over $100? I've been looking for it lately and it seems it ranges from 100 - over 400 bucks on Amazon.

It's out of print.

I don't know if it will be printed again. My guess is probably not, but you never know.

It's out of print.

I don't know if it will be printed again. My guess is probably not, but you never know.

Victory Belt doesn't publish BJJ stuff anymore, now they're all about Paleo cookbooks and stuff of that nature.

Holy Crap! The cheapest used is almost $150. I might consider selling my copy.

Back