Andre Galvao with Kevin Howell - Drill To Win - First Impressions

Mala

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Softcover, BIG book. There is a brief introduction, stating Galvao's history in the sport, how to use the book; etc; etc. I will try to divulge as little information as possible, but even if you don't want to read a couple paragraphs, I will say that I HIGHLY recommend this book.

It follows a 12 month course, there is a section on diet, stretching, strength and agility drills (solo and partner). Each section, for example, "Month Two: Strength Matters...Balance Does Too" is broken down into weeks, then into days, focusing on a couple of drills a day. The pictures of each drill (showing the sequence of each drill) are clear and concise, I don't see how it could be done better without video. Each drill is accompanied by an ample amount of text, giving you an idea why you are doing the drill and how to actually do the drill as well situations where the drill is useful, sprinkled with anecdotes of how Galvao came upon the move. Each drill is accompanied by a suggested frequency to do the drill, for example "5-10 minutes" or "3 sets of 12-20". Each section is followed with a review for that month.

This book covers pretty much ALL bases, from stretches, rolls, wrestling takedowns, judo takedowns, grip fighting, escapes of all kinds, passes of all kinds, side, knee on belly, mount, back drills, guards, guard maintenance, guard movement, etc, etc.

One of the best BJJ books I have read, useful for ALL skill levels, and even if you don't follow his daily recommendations (which would take less than 30 minutes a day), there is something useful for EVERYONE in this book.

10/10

thanks for the review...I wasn't aware of his book

i should have it in my hands any day now, i feel like a kid waiting for christmas!!

really excited about this book

i like books and will get this, but wondering....is it too much info for dvd? why is it not video?

you make me weak ... your review make me order it

i like books and will get this, but wondering....is it too much info for dvd? why is it not video?

I can't answer that question for them.

What I will say is that it would have made a long DVD with all the explanations.

Book form is better, the way I see it. Anytime you want to look back at some drills, it's right there for you.

Was waiting for this book. Not in stock at amazon.ca yet but it should be soon. Was already looking forward tot his book but your review make me eager even more :D

Just placed my order, should have my hands on it in a week. Highly looking forward to it.

Here's my very big question:

Is there enough content for solo drilling and practice? Guys at my gym can't get off the mat fast enough after class so there is no one to really drill with. I can probably corner someone for about ten minutes a week.

how much is solo and how much needs a partner?
do you need any extra equipment for a lot of the drills? (weights, ropes, etc.)

Lots of solo drills you can do on an exercise ball- lots more he doesn't show as well (specific to exercise ball drills- SOOOOO much BJJ information though.

How did you get it already?

I had a pre-order for amazon.com but they don't have it yet. So I canceled and got my order in to Budo a couple days ago when they first announced it.

It's on the truck now...but I won't get it till around 8/4....which sucks butthole.

I've been waiting for this book for quite sometime now, and it sounds like it WON'T let me down!

I would say the majority are partner drills, probably slightly above 2/3rds. Most of the solo drills are in the strength, speed, and flexibility area. There are others sprinkled throughout all of the sections.

Some of the solo (and even some of the partner) drills require a swiss ball, but only a few.

A couple call for a balance board.

Ideally, you would want a partner. I'll use boxing, for example. Aside from sparring, which is the most important aspect of putting everything together, you can shadowbox/heavybag work, but there is a big benefit in doing partner drills, padwork, just to have a better feel for your technique.

There is an example of Terere, who Galvao said would work on a single pass over and over while everyone else in the gym rolled, and when it came to competition, he would kill everyone with that pass.

How would you rate this in relation to Saulo's book? I'm not very big on jiu jitsu books, as I find that most of them are very repetitive and don't contain much new info.

Maybe some time soon, we will make a DVD version. First, we had to focus on a book, the great things about a book as you can really get into the details as to why someone does things the way that they do. Also, I love books for the convenience and travel factor. A lot of the guys at Fight Zone bring Saulo, Peligro, and Galvao books to class to try things from it after session.

I appreciate the kind words... these books are a labor of love and I appreciate the support, it makes our sacrifice well worth it and encourages me to finish Leo's book!

Kevin Howell

How would you rate this in relation to Saulo's book? I'm not very big on jiu jitsu books, as I find that most of them are very repetitive and don't contain much new info.

Hey Jersey, though I am the MOST biased guy on here. I think the two books are completely different on many levels. Here's how I see the two: Saulo is providing you with what he feels you should know at every belt and why doing so will develop your game in a certain fashion. Andre is providing you with a plan to develop your movement so that you can attain the skill set, timing, and attributes to become a champion level grappler.

When it arrives in NJ, check it out!

Back