Anderson Silva vs Shogun Rua - Who has the better top 5 wins?

Sakurai was a top 3 P4P fighter when Anderson beat him; the Maia win doesn't even come close.

Anderson also beat him at Sakurai's best weight of 168lbs, where Anderson was awfully drained.
Anderson was a WW back then he really didn't start packing on the weight until around his Cage Rage days

Vitor should be top five considering the stage of his career silva fought him at, including wins over hendo and Franklin. Sucks we never got to see shogun vs vitor or silva

Anderson is undefeated against Forrest Griffin and Hendo while Shogun is not.

Yet he still ducked Shogun.

Overeem, Machida, Rampage, Lil Nog and Chuck are way better wins overall

Not really. The only ranked fighter Maia beat at MW was Shale. His next best win was Jorge Santiago who was a pretty good fighter and was ranked before Stann knocked him out cold right before. Otherwise youre looking at names like Dan Miller, Jason MacDonald, Ed Herman, Mario Mirando........lol. He pretty much lost to all the top MWs he fought (Anderson, Marquardt, Munoz, Weidman) besides Shale

Marquardt would be a much better choice for Andersons top wins than Maia

And even better than that, Okami, who actually beat Marquardt

I have the top 5 wins like this...

Anderson
Hendo
Vitor
Rich
Forrest
Sonnen

Mauricio
1. Lyoto Machida
2. Quinton Jackson
3. Alistair Overeem
4. Chuck Liddell
5. Forrest Griffin

Both have a very good win list. I would have to say it's pretty even considering at the time they beat those guys. I can't pick.

I have the top 5 wins like this...

Anderson
Hendo
Vitor
Rich
Forrest
Sonnen

Mauricio
1. Lyoto Machida
2. Quinton Jackson
3. Alistair Overeem
4. Chuck Liddell
5. Forrest Griffin

Both have a very good win list. I would have to say it's pretty even considering at the time they beat those guys. I can't pick.

Alistair Overeem and Chuck Liddell weren't in their primes when Rua beat them. Rua beating Nogueria and Arona is much more impressive.

Also, Chael Sonnen over Sakurai??

Alistair Overeem and Chuck Liddell weren't in their primes when Rua beat them. Rua beating Nogueria and Arona is much more impressive.

Also, Chael Sonnen over Sakurai??

Overeem surely was in his prime at that point, come on man. Rua beat Reem in 05 and 07. Reem was coming off wins over Belfort and Igor prior to the first loss and then around the second loss Reem had wins over Belfort again and Sergei at HW. Chuck was in 09, he was passed it at that point. But Chuck was still a very good win. I would say beating Rogerio was better than Reem, but Chuck over Arona.

Yah, I'll take Sonnen over Sakurai. Chael had some solid wins surrounding the Anderson fight and was towards the top of the division. Sakurai win was really early 2000s. Mach had a ncie record but not really many worthy names on there.

Yet he still ducked Shogun.

Overeem, Machida, Rampage, Lil Nog and Chuck are way better wins overall
The fight was never attempted to be put together. Can't duck anyone that you weren't tried to be matched up against.

if you have some actual proof that it was, please post it here.

Not really. The only ranked fighter Maia beat at MW was Shale. His next best win was Jorge Santiago who was a pretty good fighter and was ranked before Stann knocked him out cold right before. Otherwise youre looking at names like Dan Miller, Jason MacDonald, Ed Herman, Mario Mirando........lol. He pretty much lost to all the top MWs he fought (Anderson, Marquardt, Munoz, Weidman) besides Shale

Marquardt would be a much better choice for Andersons top wins than Maia
Yeah Nate the great was a beast. I really wanted the AS rematch.

Yeah Nate the great was a beast. I really wanted the AS rematch.

Only Hendo had closer odds to beat Anderson during his UFC run (pre-Cormier as that was the 1st fight he was an underdog in a decade). Pretty crazy that the odds were even closer for Nate than the Weidman rematch, even after Chris KOd him

It’s really close , hard to decide

I wish they fought each other at some point

Hell I’d still pay to see it

I thinks shoguns wins in the pride gp thwart every andy dub

Shogun did have to panic wrestle Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos. He was getting picked apart on the feet.

Mauricio
1. Lyoto Machida
2. Quinton Jackson
3. Alistair Overeem
4. Chuck Liddell
5. Forrest Griffin
I'd put both prime Diet Nog and prime Arona well above past-prime Forrest and even Chuck

100% Shogun, and he beat Hendo in the first fight also

prime Shogun would have wrecked prime Anderson, thats why Anderson refused to fight after the Brazil TUF, Shogun said he was game.

I'd put both prime Diet Nog and prime Arona well above past-prime Forrest and even Chuck

lil nog who folds every time he gets hit over chuck who only started losing after his chin cracked?

Back