• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

An American Werewolf in London or The Howling

American Werewolf in London, for sure.

American Werewolf for the Nudity, (why I went to see it.)

e32cc47537c18b93760ba1990564d18e.jpg

And the music:

Best thing from Howling was it was instrumental in getting Rob Bottin into production for THE THING

wKbzSV1.jpg

I prefer AWiL, but I think a lot of people itt either never saw Howling or don't fully remember it, because it's a classic horror movie, and quite unsettling at parts imo. It's scarier than AW and had a great ending.

I prefer AWiL, but I think a lot of people itt either never saw Howling or don't fully remember it, because it's a classic horror movie, and quite unsettling at parts imo. It's scarier than AW and had a great ending.

Yeah it did.

Title says it all. I am a fan of both movies and believe they are the best the werewolf genre has to offer. Which do you like more and why?

American werewolf in London by a mile.

Howling was godawful. The car exploding for no reason sets me to laughing everytime.

Howling 5 was the only one of the series I really enjoyed, mostly for the mystery in ancient castle aspect, but it was still terribad with NO budget.

My favorite of the genre is Dog Soldiers, budget flaws and all, it was great.

Silver Bullet is a close second for "older" werewolf movies.

AWIL takes it for me. Very good use of only showing a bit of the wolf.

I also really liked Dog Soldiers. The soldiers trying to hole up in the house was awesome.

Wer was pretty decent to o.

American werewolf in London by a mile.

Howling was godawful. The car exploding for no reason sets me to laughing everytime.

Howling 5 was the only one of the series I really enjoyed, mostly for the mystery in ancient castle aspect, but it was still terribad with NO budget.

My favorite of the genre is Dog Soldiers, budget flaws and all, it was great.

Silver Bullet is a close second for "older" werewolf movies.

I would actually take Silver Bullet over both.

As to the subject of the thread, I think American Werewolf edges out The Howling, but it has its flaws. The acting from everyone except Jenny Agutter is questionable. Still a memorable piece of work, though.

Last edited:
I think AAWIL is considerably better. A perfect blend of horror and comedy and I much, much prefer Rick Baker's wolf to Bottin's.
Rick Baker did special makeup effects for both An American Werewolf in London & The Howling
Hello, person from 2013. Rob Bottin took over when Rick Baker left to do AAWIL. The Howling was much more Bottin's baby than Baker's.

American Werewolf in London by far.
It does not hurt that Rik Mayall is in it.

An American Werewolf in London is superior, the Howling is slow and somewhat consulted story wise but the ending and werewolf more than make up for it. I do enjoy both movies

The Howling was great but American Werewolf in London was even better.

An American Werewolf in London-my vote.

Good story

Great affects

Decent score

Back