Opinion America's National Park DM&R backlog balloons to over $22 billion, US Congress Proposes More Cuts

Crescent City has also started to attract rich San Fransicans looking to build vacation homes up there, which isn't great.

No, it sucks.

See: Jackson, Wyoming where the elites have done their best to destroy the authenticity and character it once had. It was alright when Harrison Ford had the good sense to settle into a Teton county ranch in the 1980s, but now the wealth and income inequality is just obscene. It is actually by far the richest area in the entire country, though I doubt many people know it.

The billionaire class decided they love the Tetons (plus Wyo tax rates) and has fully arrived, the middle class can't afford to actually live there anymore. Some of the uber-wealthy migrant dorks in Jackson are reminiscent of Dumb and Dumber when Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels go shopping for new clothes. 🤣😭

I'm not trying to sell one park over another, but I am a bit biased from having worked at Redwood. It also depends on what your looking for in your visit.

Yellowstone is unmatched in what it offers. A chance to see an incredible variety of large mammals up close, and geothermal features that you can't find anywhere else in the world. It is the most iconic national park in the US for good reason.

Redwood has the tallest tree in the entire world, a pristine river full of wildlife, and a rugged coastline that is it's own different kind of beauty.

I noted your point about the contrast between the states. All true. The irony is that if you're looking to avoid the crowds these days it's going to be tough in Yellowstone. The state may only have 500,000 people that live there, but the park gets millions of visitors. I believe somewhere around 5 million last I saw. Whereas Redwood gets somewhere in the 500,000 range each year and is much less crowded. Pretty crazy how that works, haha.

Go to both of you get the chance. You won't be disappointed.

It is a serious problem, and I was going to get to that issue if and when the convo with @koquerelle crossed over to it. He's got the advantage of being middle-aged without young children though, so the visitation window is inherently larger for him to avoid peak season. Cam apparently doesn't want to implement restrictions or a reservation system.

I'm greatly looking forward to this October, only 5% of annual visitation.

42% of the population must be gargling those government nuts.

God those crowds lol

Here you got like 5 cars at remote parks and everyone is like fak that too many people

I've been there in July, but we camped inside the park and got early starts to successfully circumvent the horde of vehicles trying to get in. That's almost half the battle won; the other is getting up for an early start. Thankfully, we're talking about a place comprising well over two million acres. A lot of my favorite areas and spots in Yellowstone see very few people no matter the time of day or year. I'm not camping on the trip this October, but it won't matter. The visitation drops off an absolute cliff after peak season concludes in September when the international tourists are gone and the school year starts.

You should walk into the bedroom and very matter of fact-ly announce to your wife where the once in a lifetime holiday destination is going to be.
Already talked to her and she loves the idea. She's going to have way more fun with this type of trip anyway. The Wisconsin-Minnesota trip was more to please me.

It is a serious problem, and I was going to get to that issue if and when the convo with @koquerelle crossed over to it. He's got the advantage of being middle-aged without young children though, so the visitation window is inherently larger for him to avoid peak season. Cam apparently doesn't want to implement restrictions or a reservation system.

I'm greatly looking forward to this October, only 5% of annual visitation.

We always avoid peak season. We take our vacations at the beginning of June and near the end of September.

Already talked to her and she loves the idea. She's going to have way more fun with this type of trip anyway. The Wisconsin-Minnesota trip was more to please me.

We always avoid peak season. We take our vacations at the beginning of June and near the end of September.

You're already setting yourself up for a great fucking trip. The only thing that could mar a vacation there aside from peak season crowds (and the numerous idiots amongst them) is not giving yourself enough time to take it in. It's also never too early to start researching and planning. The five park entrances and their associated gateway towns actually merit serious consideration.

^^ Gardiner (North) is the original gateway with the famed Teddy Roosevelt arch at the entrance; West Yellowstone (West) is by far the busiest and most tourist trappy (hordes of Chinese nationals, no thanks); Jackson (South) is the most luxurious and expensive (many billionaires live here, expect to pay out the ass for anything and everything); Cooke City (Northeast) is the most remote with the fewest amenities (it's hardly even a town) and Cody (East) founded by Buffalo Bill himself in 1895 is the best IMO, especially as part of a larger Wyoming road trip for many reasons I could get into if you want, lol. There are gun shops, gun ranges, and gun museums (plural) galore.

For fishing in particular, you want the Northeast entrance because it drops you directly into the American Serengeti of Lamar Valley. This is also where the Lamar River, Trout Lake, Slough Creek, and Soda Butte are located. The magnificent kicker here is that the Northeast entrance is also accessible from Cody on one of the most scenic drives to be found on the continent. The straight-forward east entrance that drops you off at Fishing Bridge and Yellowstone Lake is also an official scenic by-way.

I was supposed to shoot many cool weapons (MG42, MP44, M1 Garand, etc.) in Minnesota. I must admit it's the only thing I'm a bit sad about not doing. You say Wyoming has the highest amount of firearms per capita. Do they have cool places to shoot guns?

In Addition:

You're already setting yourself up for a great fucking trip. The only thing that could mar a vacation there aside from peak season crowds (and the numerous idiots amongst them) is not giving yourself enough time to take it in. It's also never too early to start researching and planning. The five park entrances and their associated gateway towns actually merit serious consideration.

^^ Gardiner (North) is the original gateway with the famed Teddy Roosevelt arch at the entrance; West Yellowstone (West) is by far the busiest and most tourist trappy (hordes of Chinese nationals, no thanks); Jackson (South) is the most luxurious and expensive (many billionaires live here, expect to pay out the ass for anything and everything); Cooke City (Northeast) is the most remote with the fewest amenities (it's hardly even a town) and Cody (East) founded by Buffalo Bill himself in 1895 is the best IMO, especially as part of a larger Wyoming road trip for many reasons I could get into if you want, lol. There are gun shops, gun ranges, and gun museums (plural) galore.

For fishing in particular, you want the Northeast entrance because it drops you directly into the American Serengeti of Lamar Valley. This is also where the Lamar River, Trout Lake, Slough Creek, and Soda Butte are located. The magnificent kicker here is that the Northeast entrance is also accessible from Cody on one of the most scenic drives to be found on the continent. The straight-forward east entrance that drops you off at Fishing Bridge and Yellowstone Lake is also an official scenic by-way.
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

We intend on taking our time. I took a look on VRBO and there are plenty of cottages available at reasonable prices. We'll ideally spend a few weeks in Wyoming/Montana before making our way to Alberta and visit family members I haven't seen in ages.

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

We intend on taking our time. I took a look on VRBO and there are plenty of cottages available at reasonable prices. We'll ideally spend a few weeks in Wyoming/Montana before making our way to Alberta and visit family members I haven't seen in ages.

You've got exactly the right idea for a very comfortable, leisurely time. The prices on those are incredibly reasonable, and they get further slashed almost immediately following the autumn equinox in September. I personally try to avoid Montana at all costs aside from a very short, unavoidable stretch that dips right back into Wyoming and I don't spend any of my money there.

Montana is kind of a piece of shit that makes it harder for the NPS to do its job and carry out the principle mandate of preserving the most sacred swath of land in the country. A whopping 3% of Yellowstone is within that state, and it behaves as if it has 50% (nevermind that it's all federally owned land anyway, lol). Montana seems intent on destroying not one but two of the greatest wildlife conservation efforts in human history. Montana can eat shit. State lines are ultimately imaginary, but implications are real life.

I kind of had to chuckle at those US News rankings posted earlier. Glacier over Yellowstone? 🤣 Based On WHAT? Get the fuck outta here son, lmao. It isn't even better than Grand Teton. But to each their own and stuff. 🙃

You've got exactly the right idea for a very comfortable, leisurely time. The prices on those are incredibly reasonable, and they get further slashed almost immediately following the autumn equinox in September. I personally try to avoid Montana at all costs aside from a very short, unavoidable stretch that dips right back into Wyoming and I don't spend any of my money there.

Montana is kind of a piece of shit that makes it harder for the NPS to do its job and carry out the principle mandate of preserving the most sacred swath of land in the country. A whopping 3% of Yellowstone is within that state, and it behaves as if it has 50% (nevermind that it's all federally owned land anyway, lol). Montana seems intent on destroying not one but two of the greatest wildlife conservation efforts in human history. Montana can eat shit. State lines are ultimately imaginary, but implications are real life.

I kind of had to chuckle at those US News rankings posted earlier. Glacier over Yellowstone? 🤣 Based On WHAT? Get the fuck outta here son, lmao. It isn't even better than Grand Teton. But to each their own and stuff. 🙃
I want to spend some time in Montana to fish, but we have so much research to do. The car ride from Québec to Wyoming will leave us with many possibilities.

rankings: It all depends on what you're looking for. One of the things I want my wife to see is a sunset in Saskatchewan. It might sound silly to many people, but I think the sun setting on a endless wheat field is magical.

I want to spend some time in Montana to fish, but we have so much research to do. The car ride from Québec to Wyoming will leave us with many possibilities.

Oh shit, I'd almost forgot you were French Canadian (my apologies). Dang, you really are gunning for the trip of a lifetime. I'm so excited for you, man. A few quirky side attraction experiences through Wyoming that I can vouch for on your way over to the world's first and greatest national park.

Highway To Heaven

This is on Interstate-80 (the most dangerous road in the United States) between the town of Evanston and the semi-famous truck stop of Little America. Trust Me. 😀

<{anton}>

Wyo Frontier Prison Museum

Located in Rawlins. Wyoming isn't cosmopolitan or multicultural (thank god). You aren't going to get massive institutions like those found in places like Paris, London, or NYC. Instead, it focuses on specialty museums that reflect the cultural and natural history of Wyoming. And they're awesome. The Renny Harlin b-movie horror flick Prison (1987) starring a 20-something Viggo Mortensen and Kane Hodder was filmed on location here. The cell block, gallows, and gas chamber are all magnificently legit creepy as fuck.

Wyoming Dinosaur Center

Located in Thermopolis (which also has the world's largest mineral hot spring). The exterior of this place has quite literally the most humble and unassuming appearance imaginable, lol. It's the definition of not judging a book (or museum) by its cover -- because inside is arguably the greatest collection of complete fossils in the United States if not the world and almost all of them were dug up locally. They didn't buy them or horde shit out of other countries. It's certainly the most interactive hands-on to be found pretty much anywhere.

Back