Opinion America's National Park DM&R backlog balloons to over $22 billion, US Congress Proposes More Cuts

Solution:

Sell the National Parks to venture capitalists, mining companies, real estate developers, silicon valley billionaires and foreign capital. Because everyone knows the government is shit / inefficient at running anything. Private commercial entities are the best at managing and protecting resources.

How about stop sending Ukrainians billions of dollars and weaponry so that they can get sent into the meatgrinder?

How about stop sending Ukrainians billions of dollars and weaponry so that they can get sent into the meatgrinder?

The Department of Interior and the National Park Service has been underfunded for decades. It has nothing to do with current political events.

The Department of Interior and the National Park Service has been underfunded for decades. It has nothing to do with current political events.

The United States have been engaged in war and establishing military bases around the entire world for decades. It has everything to with current politic events.

We need an anti war president like Trump again. The war in Ukraine ends overnight.

Any thoughts on america sending billions of dollars to Ukraine to fight an unwinnable war?

The United States have been engaged in war and establishing military bases around the entire world for decades. It has everything to with current politic events.

We need an anti war president like Trump again. The war in Ukraine ends overnight.

Any thoughts on america sending billions of dollars to Ukraine to fight an unwinnable war?

If you want to talk about how much the US overspends on it's military, I agree. However, there is no direct connection to US military or foreign spending and how much the Department of Interior and the National Park Service get funded. They always deserve more, and they never get it. No matter who is in charge.

Donald Trump was one of the worst things to happen to US public lands since Reagan and James Watt. I'd wager he's never been to a National Park his entire life, and he sure as hell doesn't give a fuck about any of them.

If you want to talk about how much the US overspends on it's military, I agree. However, there is no direct connection to US military or foreign spending and how much the Department of Interior and the National Park Service get funded. They always deserve more, and they never get it. No matter who is in charge.

Donald Trump was one of the worst things to happen to US public lands since Reagan and James Watt. I'd wager he's never been to a National Park his entire life, and he sure as hell doesn't give a fuck about any of them.

Any examples of how Trump was the worst things to happen to US public lands?

Clinton and Obama established the monuments and oversized them by 1000%. Trump is not the first president to reduce them. Of course Biden reversed it.

The only reason the Trump admin rolled it back was so they could lease out the mineral rights to their buddies. The Secretary of Interior admitted to it in documents..

The only reason the Trump admin rolled it back was so they could lease out the mineral rights to their buddies. The Secretary of Interior admitted to it in documents..

And re establish previous hunting grounds. There's nothing wrong with countries utilizing their own resources.

I want to ask you. Is there something wrong with mining for minerals and hunting that are both in abundance in Utah? The salt mines in Utah employ many people as well as drive the economy there. Democrats took that potential away. 1 million acres was way too vast. 202,000 aces is gigantic itself.

The people want less government intrusion and less bureaucracy in their lives,which is something liberals cannot fully grasp for some reason.

And re establish previous hunting grounds. There's nothing wrong with countries utilizing their own resources.

I want to ask you. Is there something wrong with mining for minerals and hunting that are both in abundance in Utah? The salt mines in Utah employ many people as well as drive the economy there. Democrats took that potential away. 1 million acres was way too vast. 202,000 aces is gigantic itself.

The people want less government intrusion and less bureaucracy in their lives,which is something liberals cannot fully grasp for some reason.

Hunting I'm fine with, I'm a hunter myself. You can use steel shot, you'll be fine.

They're called national parks, not rape and pillage resource land. National Parks are supposed to preserve things. Strip mining minerals, littering the parks with oil rigs, and draining them of natural resources like water isn't preserving anything.

Are you being serious?

I actually spent an hour a few weeks ago listening to a logging, forest professional and a bureaucrat charged with over seeing budgets for the national forests appear before Congress. Both the Democratic and Republican lawmakers were baffled at the end on how badly we manage our lands. It turns out the private land is healthier, profitable, and with far less chance of explosive fires, because the forests are maintained, where the bureaucrats don't allow that on the public forest land. If we just fix the big $ sink into our national forests by actually managing them, it may go a long way in not creating this deficit for national parks?

Hunting I'm fine with, I'm a hunter myself. You can use steel shot, you'll be fine.

They're called national parks, not rape and pillage resource land. National Parks are supposed to preserve things. Strip mining minerals, littering the parks with oil rigs, and draining them of natural resources like water isn't preserving anything.

Are you being serious?

You act like these sites have been established since 1920 or something.

Clinton and Obama designated them, and made them way too big, taking vital land and resources from the people. All Trump did was attempt to downsize them, not remove them.

Are you aware of the enormousness of 1 million acres? Completely unnecessary.

Second this. A lot of people don't realize that any veteran can get a lifetime pass (as long as you weren't dishonorably discharged) that gets you into any federal public land that charges an entrance fee, for free. So that's national parks, forest service, BLM.

These just came out in the last couple years.
Vets in Canada get access to parks and can fish without a license.

You act like these sites have been established since 1920 or something.

A lot of the ones that were (or whereabouts) are real fucking special, cream of the crop. There have certainly been some worthy national parks and monuments established after the 1930s, but on the whole, they aren't anywhere close to being on the same level. The crown jewels of the lower 48 were locked up very early on.

1872: Yellowstone (Wyoming)
1890: Sequoia (California)
1890: Yosemite (California)
1899: Mount Rainier (Washington)
1902: Crater Lake (Oregon)
1910: Glacier (Montana)
1915: Rocky Mountain (Colorado)
1916: Lassen Volcanic (California)
1919: Grand Canyon (Arizona)
1919: Zion (Utah)
1919: Acadia (Maine)
1924: Bryce Canyon (Utah)
1929: Grand Teton (Wyoming)
1934: Smoky Mountains (Tennessee & North Carolina)
1935: Shenandoah (Virginia)

🔥🔥🔥

I actually spent an hour a few weeks ago listening to a logging, forest professional and a bureaucrat charged with over seeing budgets for the national forests appear before Congress. Both the Democratic and Republican lawmakers were baffled at the end on how badly we manage our lands. It turns out the private land is healthier, profitable, and with far less chance of explosive fires, because the forests are maintained, where the bureaucrats don't allow that on the public forest land. If we just fix the big $ sink into our national forests by actually managing them, it may go a long way in not creating this deficit for national parks?

Decades of all out fire suppression on most public land created the tinder boxes that have lead to many of these devastating wildfires today. That can be remedied to an extent with thinning and and prescribed burns, both of which already happen in national forests, and many national parks. So you're wrong in saying they aren't maintained.

The problem is those techniques would need to be practiced on an exponentially larger scale and in some extremely rugged terrain to reach many of the areas with the highest potential for bad fires in public land out west. The Forest Service would need a huge boost in funding to hire the thousands of new front line employees to have any hope of accomplishing this. And that never happens.

But either way, it would have zero effect on the maintenance backlog in the National Park Service. They have completely separate budgets, as the Forest Service is part of the department of agriculture and the National Park Service is part of the department of interior.

Last edited:
Make cuts to all that bullshit HR/DEI 6 figure salaries and use it towards parks

We can give Ukraine a few billion any day but can’t for the parks ? Bullshit again

Back