America's gun problem, explained

On the other hand, I'm surprised psychological exams are not required to own guns. In my opinion, they will help. Also better education on gun ownership and use. .

The problem with this, is that a psychologist will let their own personal opinion get in the way. One psychologist might let someone with a history of severe alcohol abuse and depression get one because they are pro-2A, the one a few blocks down will say no to a guy who wants one to go plinking with because he translates that as 'has tendencies towards violent fantasies' or some such.

As for the second sentence, if you want better firearm education you have to convince people to actually go. When it comes to firearms, there are two distinct groups in the US. Either you like/respect them, or you think they are the work of the devil and should be confiscated and blanket banned. One group doesn't need much education, the other will just not bother.

I was in another thread recently, that said 10,000 people die a year in the world from fresh water snails.

10,000 people die in the US from suicide by gun, and 10,000 from homicide by gun.

Guns are twice the concern for me as fresh water snails.

Don't look up the statistics on death via medical malpractice then.

What Barry and the Lib army won't admit is that our gun violence numbers are driven by the gun violence problem in inner city communities. It's racist to point that out though.

America doesn't have a gun problem, we have a morality problem. America has always had guns since our ancestors arrived on ships across the Atlantic. So blaming it on guns is not a good enough excuse.

I always particularly hate the cross nation comparisons. We've always had more guns and more gun violence than Europe. We also had more freedom and they seem to support our gun culture when they need someone to police the free world or defend it from psychos.

Also, that chart about gun ownership vs. gun deaths is pointless. NY and Illinois and other states with violent big cities are considered safer than places like Wyoming?

Anyhoo, another thread where people will use emotion based arguments to support taking away other people's rights. You don't stop suicide by taking away guns. You don't stop criminal violence by taking away legal firearms. You don't change people that way.

How about those people focus on the actual problems instead of how the problems ultimately manifest.

I find it hard to believe that those that propose psychological testing for firearms have ever actually underwent psychological testing

Waste of time that can be easily manipulated and too prone to personal opinions

What Barry and the Lib army won't admit is that our gun violence numbers are driven by the gun violence problem in inner city communities. It's racist to point that out though.
MOaJegg.png

Racist!

I always particularly hate the cross nation comparisons. We've always had more guns and more gun violence than Europe. We also had more freedom and they seem to support our gun culture when they need someone to police the free world or defend it from psychos.

Also, that chart about gun ownership vs. gun deaths is pointless. NY and Illinois and other states with violent big cities are considered safer than places like Wyoming?

Anyhoo, another thread where people will use emotion based arguments to support taking away other people's rights. You don't stop suicide by taking away guns. You don't stop criminal violence by taking away legal firearms. You don't change people that way.

How about those people focus on the actual problems instead of how the problems ultimately manifest.
Exactly. It's like saying Nebraska is better than California because the poverty and unemployment rates are lower.

The problem with this, is that a psychologist will let their own personal opinion get in the way. One psychologist might let someone with a history of severe alcohol abuse and depression get one because they are pro-2A, the one a few blocks down will say no to a guy who wants one to go plinking with because he translates that as 'has tendencies towards violent fantasies' or some such.

Fair enough. What, then, in your opinion can be done to solve the problem of people with mental problems getting their hands on guns?

In Canada you have to undergo a training course for the safe handling of a gun, watch videos on what happens, read the stats, understand the laws and storage of guns and types, amount of shells it can hold or magazine capacity etc, answer the tests etc. You fail, no gun. You'd be surprised how many hunters i've seen fail this.

Fair enough. What, then, in your opinion can be done to solve the problem of people with mental problems getting their hands on guns?
Sadly, there really isn't an easy answer. I dislike parroting the common answer of 'expand mental health services' because that would only help those that seek it. Granted, it would help those that do use it, but many wouldn't use it anyways. But it's hard to argue that it wouldn't be a bad start.

A big problem, imo, is the media glorifying and concentrating on shootings. People that are already on edge see this, and think this could be their way to shine and be known. So convincing media to knock that shit off may help as well.

But one thing I like is something my employer does. Whenever an employee is terminated, they are referred to an employment agency in the process so that instead of the despair of suddenly being without a job they at least have a path pointed out to them to get back on their feet.

But as I said, there is no single, simple answer. This country has many issues that need to be resolved, and taking the easy way out will simply ignore the underlying causes. Cure the symptom and ignore the disease, if you will.

Every gun should be registerd like a car every few years.

Tough laws don't prevent gun manufacturers from letting guns go unaccounted for. Treat it like a car, insurance, the whole 9

Every gun should be registerd like a car every few years.
Lots of cars sit in people's yards without registration - for years on end. And as long as the car isn't operated on public roads, well, I'm sure you already realize this - registration is not required. And then there's the act of junking a vehicle without a registration; piece of cake really.

I think what you may really want is a registry of people who own guns.
Tough laws don't prevent gun manufacturers from letting guns go unaccounted for.
No, that's the job of the Department of State, BATF&E, FBI, CIA, DEA, etc.

Lots of cars sit in people's yards without registration - for years on end. And as long as the car isn't operated on public roads, well, I'm sure you already realize this - registration is not required. And then there's the act of junking a vehicle without a registration; piece of cake really.No, that's the job of the Department of State, BATF&E, FBI, CIA, DEA, etc.
I suppose a larger difference is guns can be concealed, hidden, and tossed much more easily and cars aren't generally used in intentional homicides.

cars aren't generally used in intentional homicides.
True. They're also next to useless when it comes to grouse hunting. Also protecting one and one's own family from inter-personal violence.

That doesn't really change my point.

Also, lancelot there would likely have wounded a lot more people, but that doesn't mean he'd have killed more.

Yes it pretty much does.

Do you prefer psychos armed with guns or unarmed psychos?

A wise man once said: "It's my constitutional right, bitch!". I agree.

Back