Americans...and the metric system...smh!

We get a little hung up on other people doing things a better way.

Thing that does my swede in, surely it's easier for freezing point to be 0C rather than some complicated 32F?

Logical, no?
Well yes and no, 0c is only the freezing point of water, distilled water @ sea level, so the actual freezing point of water where you are is off a few degrees anyway.
And zero c. Isn’t even that cold anyway. Temperatures get “below zero” way. To easy in c

It doesn’t. Feel as cold if you say it’s 25f outside when you go to work, as to say it’s -5c

At work the doctor will ask for a wire giving the diameter in inches but the length in metric WTF
America should have switched a long time ago.

iu

Really depends what you're doing. You can't fit a 13mm Allen key into a 1/2" set screw. If you use a 12mm, you'll likely strip them.

For open ended wrenche applications, you can probably get away with it. Anything socket or Allen, you'll want the proper size.

you said wrenches, and it does sometimes get more complicated with Allen’s etc.

13 is SLIGHTLY larger than 1/2”, so you can use a 1/2” Allen in a 13mm set screw no issue, and depending on the quality of manufacturing sometimes you can get a 13mm in a. 1/2 set screw

same with sockets. Depends a lot on the manufacturing tolerances of both the fastener manufacture and the tool etc.

Not all are created equal.

but for most applications and instances you can use the list I set universally but not always

if you are a pro , you have more than one set offf each anyways cause sometimes you need two of the same.

and you also need. Short. Sockets,mid,deep etc etc.

This was a shock culture for me. Moved to the US at around 10-11 years old so I was just starting out middle school. Had gone to school in France and Australia. Went to the math class and I was like "wtf is all this English unit nonsense!!!???" It was overly complicated from the metric system and I was completely confused as to why anyone would want to teach math with it when there's a much easier and simpler way of doing it AND THE WHOLE WORD IS USING IT!. Then I started watching American football and once I understood the game the lightbulb lit up and I was like "AAAAHHH!!! That's why we can't get rid of the English system!.. BRILLIANT!"..

I still firmly believe that children in the US are notoriously bad at math because of this English system though. It overcomplicates things for children...

without german intelligence, america wouldn't have come anywhere close to the moon. and this is coming from an american. have to give credit where credit is due.

Without Americans the Germans would have been wiped off the planet. The Russians were kinda pissed after that last one.

I like the way Americans get all the grief for the imperial system when we started using it and still use it as well.

Metric system is objectively better though, due to the fact that it actually makes a degree of sense.

I'm a machinist and all my tools measure in inches so the only time I find the metric system annoying is when I have to translate a blueprint from metric to inches. Takes like 10 minutes depending on all the details but still annoying. Wish we could all be on the same page actually.

Machinist too brah!
Most everything is standard but sometimes our customer is in Canada or Europe then everything for job is metric.
Regularly have metric when it comes to certain components of most jobs though. All the robots, pneumatic cylinders, and servo motors we use are made in Japan, so mounting hardware, fittings, and shafts/keyways are metric.

Yeah it doesn’t take long to convert over but also even easier for engineers to make a couple clicks on solid works when drawing up print lol

Machinist too brah!
Most everything is standard but sometimes our customer is in Canada or Europe then everything for job is metric.
Regularly have metric when it comes to certain components of most jobs though. All the robots, pneumatic cylinders, and servo motors we use are made in Japan, so mounting hardware, fittings, and shafts/keyways are metric.

Yeah it doesn’t take long to convert over but also even easier for engineers to make a couple clicks on solid works when drawing up print lol
I feel your pain bro we have nothing but Mazaks (Japanese) and old ones at that.

You actually don’t need two full sets.
You can buy one set and some others that don’t translate.
5/16=8mm
7/16=11mm
1/2=13mm
9/16=15mm
3/4=18mm
Well they are never exact and you risk stripping the nut or bolt. Especially with Allen wrenches. Don't get me started on those damn metric half sizes either......

Well they are never exact and you risk stripping the nut or bolt. Especially with Allen wrenches. Don't get me started on those damn metric half sizes either......
I have lost track of the amount of nuts I have completely rounded off. Shit is annoying.

without german intelligence, america wouldn't have come anywhere close to the moon. and this is coming from an american. have to give credit where credit is due.

I agree and give full credit to Von BRaun and German scientists

Some say if they had won the war we'd already have moon bases and colonized mars. Plus we'd all have clean energy

Back