American Cars Have Won Me Over.

Ferrari killer:
ford-gt_100676778.jpg

You're right about luxury cars, the US doesn't really make any worth mentioning.
is there a reason the us never went into luxury cars? cost of production?? demand in the market?? ive never looked into that before. but it would be interesting to find out why.

hah, thats so funny i never considered the amgs to be muscle cars, but a quick search of the c63amg does consider it a muscle car! thats gnarly then, is the bentley continental GT a muscle car too?? a $500k (AUD) muscle car?!!? you got me with that.

i just think the car qualities (performance and status/image/luxury(ness)) dont actually compete with what you get compared to the euro cars, i think. is my main real point.

I know it’s Clarkson and that era Corvette was insane around corners but look at the price difference. Still get leather, still get a decent center console and Chevy doesn’t bill you to pick the car up.

is there a reason the us never went into luxury cars? cost of production?? demand in the market?? ive never looked into that before. but it would be interesting to find out why.
There is like Towncars and the Cadillacs if old but I think the truly rich that want luxury and to be driven around all by Rolls or Bentley for the status of them. Plus, the ones rich enough to buy luxury cars treat them more like a status symbol as they don’t drive themselves.

Cadillac says hello

So do all the major modern American trucks and SUV’s..

Accountants took over Detroit in the 70's and they nickel and dimed everything. America never regained the luxury marketplace once the Germans ruled the segment. The quality of American interiors have improved by leaps and bounds in the last decade, but it's still well below the likes of Mercedes, Audi or Lexus.

But check out the new Lincolns-
4868ca317f707931e6348bd6e8481e34.jpg

2019%20Lincoln%20Navigator%20(6).jpg

This is at least on par with Volvo and Jaguar. We've come a long way.
Cadillac says hello

So do all the major modern American trucks and SUV’s..
Cadillac's interiors are still garbage which is inexcusable for the price point.
2017-Cadillac-XT5-Interior-009-1024x683.jpg

2019_Cadillac_Escalade_2.jpg

A sea of hard plastics and ugly buttons. The brand is in dire need of an overhaul if it wants to stay competitive.

There is like Towncars and the Cadillacs if old but I think the truly rich that want luxury and to be driven around all by Rolls or Bentley for the status of them. Plus, the ones rich enough to buy luxury cars treat them more like a status symbol as they don’t drive themselves.
I live near the wealthiest zip code in the US (Alpine, NJ) and the most popular cars among the truly wealthy are the Mercedes S Class and the Toyota Land Cruiser. Old money wouldnt be caught dead in a Rolls or Bentley.

I do see a shitload of Ferraris on the weekends, but they're driven by the sons.

10 years ago if you asked me whether I preferred classics over newer muscle cars, I would 100% say I like the newer ones. Better tech, faster, better on fuel, etc....

Now that I'm older, I would take what I consider classics over the newer cars anyday..

I hate all the ridiculous tech in newer cars. I don't like the computer screens in the dash.. Hate the push button start..

I had a 2013 Genesis Coup that was fully loaded and it was pretty ridiculous.. I can only imagine the tons of stupid unnecessary shit in the newest of the new cars..

I'm 37 years old and although I'm a Ford guy now, I'm looking hard at buying a late 90s/early 2000s Camaro Z28 or SS.. I want one with the LS1 engine and a 6 speed manual.. I hope it has roll up windows too.. I currently have a Mustang GT and Crown Vic Police Interceptor...

The Camaro however was my favorite car in middle school and high school...

All I want in my car is a decent stereo, heat, and air conditioning... That is it..

This is a car in my area I've been looking at..

01414_jOSanBVOBMC_600x450.jpg

And whoever said they were also looking at these cars.. Canaro SS/z28 and the Trans Am..

In my area the late 90s early 2000s Trans Ams are double the price of the Camaro while basically being the same car with a cooler body style... Those fucking Trans Ams are over 20K out here..

The Camaro in the pic I posted is 7K with 70K miles on it.... The SS models are over 10K to 15K...

As long as it has the LS1 engine I'll be happy with it.. No way in hell am I going to drop 20k on a Trans Am with 100k miles on it...

Maybe they are cheaper in your neck of the woods.. Out here, they are double the price...

I would however drop 20K on a 2000 Trans Am WS6 before I drop 20K on a 2015+ Camaro SS or whatever..

Anything over 2010 is not even on my radar and will never be..

You guys can enjoy your computer screens and back up cameras and all that stupid shit...

98-2010 are the only years of cars I'll buy...

My Mustang GT is almost too much with the computerized bullshit... I turn my car on and I got to listen to the stupid computer talk for 30 seconds.. Every single fucking time... And all I want to hear is my radio...

I can't get in the zone with that shit...

Most of this silly rant is not even worth addressing as it's been debunked countless times so I'll leave you with this simple map.
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fenergyinnovation%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F03%2FUS-EV-mpg.jpg

This is the mpg equivalent of an EV based on the power source of the grid they charge from.

And yes, the production of a new car is obscenely wasteful regardless of whether it's an EV or combustion engine. Honestly, we're all better off using mass transit (powered by electric motors of course). Teslas wont save the world but it's a good first step towards it.

1*Dn_bbUsEl9cYPzFzUUsEwg.png

Stupendously wrong. This stereotype hasnt been true for at least a decade. The Mustang and Camaro both outperform European rivals on the track.

lightning-lap-historical-times-1570796891.png

See that Camaro at #13? That's a 70k car and it beat the 260k McLaren 650S.

The AMG sedans ARE muscle cars. They're considered as such by buyers and follow the same formula- a big comfortable car stuffed with a loud V8.

And Dodge uses the old Mercedes E series platform for the Charger and Challenger. They're basically cousins.

And no, there is no American equivalent of a Bentley or S Class Benz but the M3 was destroyed by the Camaro and ATS-V.

And when the C8 comes out, it's game over. I won't even mention the Ford GT because it's 500k.

Thanks for the carpal tunnel. People are scrolling here, man!

I don't live in the USA.
Where i live, even in the cities you will struggle to find where to recharge.
And when i'm driving somewhere, i usually don't have much time to stop to recharge.
Batteries and charging stations will get better in the future, to make them more efficient and widespread, i'm sure.

On the "eco" aspect: If you drive a Tesla (which has an enviroment killing battery), you're not helping the planet too much. Cars, their fuel non-withstanding, pollute during their production and use (gases, heat, noise, friction, etc).
And then again, how many people who drive Teslas also don't eat meat, don't use mobiles or electronics with polluting batteries, don't use plastic bags or disposable containers/products? It's a syllogism. The whole industry and modern-day slavery around the minerals and components to produce batteries should dissuade any "moral" person from ever using a car which runs on batteries.

The whole concept of pinning responsability of the endemic problematics of capitalism (and its solutions) on the individual is a fallacy. These kind of issues are endemic to the capitalist productive system. Being so, they can only be solved and attended by forces that alter and modify such system, and individuals don't matter.
A lot of people don't like accepting that whatever that they do, it does not matter as a whole, and prefer to be victims and aspire to be "heroes" who will solve the world's problems through their individual actions. Never happened, never will.
Electric cars will be more widespread when oil/gasoline become an issue. Straws will stop being used once it's decreed by law that they are forbidden or the companies that make them go broke because the companies who produce cosmetics go broke (most straw users are women who don't want to ruin their lipstick). Individuals didn't play a part. It's a system.

Congratulations! You have been awarded the hot garbage post of the thread!!!

Bask in the glorious fact that someone thinks your post has reached the epitome of utter shit!

Im a noob when it comes to cars. But at the same time i also represent the general consumer and American cars have left my jaw on the floor the past few years. I still love my euro and japanese cars but honestly American cars have won me over at this point and spurred a new love for all things automotive.

I agree American vehicle's asthetics are overall superior.

But I'm the type that doesn't want a car that needs constant four figure repairs, trade a car in at 50K miles, pay sky-high insurance or registration bills, speeding tickets.... 10 miles per gallon...

...Etc... etc... etc... etc....

So, I prefer the Japanese 6-cylinder brands - Acura, Honda, Toyota, or Lexus.

They're reliable, decent performance, can drive for 300+K miles if well taken care of, decent gas milage, easily repaired, the insurance & registration aren't too expensive, and their luxury models are... well... the perfect amount of luxury without becoming obnoxious.

Yeah, American cars have really made a comeback. I love the newer Mustangs. They look awesome. Just awesome. That said, I have two Japanese cars.

I gained a greater appreciation for the Camaro and Corvette after watching some documentaries and Nat Geo Megafactories.

I used to love cars when i was younger as the game Grand Turismo 3 really spurred an interest in me and it also helped that Fast and The Furious came out around the same time. At the time and for most of my life it was all about Japanese and European cars. There was a huge bias being European myself and i would always make fun of American cars. It was mostly ignorance but it just didn't seem like American cars had anything to offer to the consumers that the Japanese and European automakers didn't already offer in spades.

But damn has the future really been kind to American performance cars. Not only do they look absolutely stunning but they are no longer push overs on the track. They are absolutely competitive by every conceivable metric and they are AFFORDABLE!

Shelby 350GTR
8ce8eb5f9522973be663a6c1ef5cfc25.jpg

Camaro z1LE
1494985301207.jpg

Charger Hellcat
2019-dodge-charger-srt(2).ashx

Dodge Demon
challengerdemon-1557775422.jpg

Ford GT
2020-forg-gt-mmp-1-1568650124.jpeg

Ford Mustang Ecoboost (4 Cylinder) for those who want to play the role but save a a bit on gas and insurance while still being a terrific performance platform
AAwfCHO.img

or even the Camaro equivalent 1LT
3397dea2772dd090de20f175020d622f.jpg

Luxury? No worries. Check this Lincoln Town Car.
lincolncontinental-coachdoors_hr_13.jpg

2017-Lincoln-Continental-cabin-760x507.jpg

And of course the c8 Corvette for 60K!
screen-shot-2019-10-03-at-9-21-22-am-1570109240.png

one criticism the Vette always had was cheapness with the interior. Well Chevy listened and decided to make up for it.
2020-Chevrolet-Corvette-Stingray-025.jpg

Im a noob when it comes to cars. But at the same time i also represent the general consumer and American cars have left my jaw on the floor the past few years. I still love my euro and japanese cars but honestly American cars have won me over at this point and spurred a new love for all things automotive.

Anyone with common sense knows Japanese cars are the best . American cars are not reliable at all. aII
I would say American built trucks are more reliable though.

Cadillac's interiors are still garbage which is inexcusable for the price point.
2017-Cadillac-XT5-Interior-009-1024x683.jpg

2019_Cadillac_Escalade_2.jpg

A sea of hard plastics and ugly buttons. The brand is in dire need of an overhaul if it wants to stay competitive.

Irrelevant. He asked why America ‘never got in the luxury car market..’ and I pointed out a brand that was known for many years for it.

I pointed out the trucks and SUV’s because that’s where all the luxury now goes in American vehicles, and they’re currently out performing traditional luxury cars in that department.

Irrelevant. He asked why America ‘never got in the luxury car market..’ and I pointed out a brand that was known for many years for it.

I pointed out the trucks and SUV’s because that’s where all the luxury now goes in American vehicles, and they’re currently out performing traditional luxury cars in that department.
Yes, the "luxury truck" segment is almost outselling traditional luxury cars in America, I even made a thread about it discussing it at length:

They're supplanting luxury car sales at the 60k+ segment, but they are by no means true luxury cars. The only one that succeeds in replicating the standards of European luxury are the new Lincoln SUV's. Cadillac was synonymous with premium quality before the 80's (hence the oft used "Cadillac of" to denote best in category). Now it's just a level you trade up to at the Hertz rental.

All of these distinctions are irrelevant anyway. The entire industry is heading into a tumultuous restructuring and none of the brand stereotypes we currently hold will remain 10 years from now.

Back