American Cars Have Won Me Over.

EL CORINTHIAN

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I used to love cars when i was younger as the game Grand Turismo 3 really spurred an interest in me and it also helped that Fast and The Furious came out around the same time. At the time and for most of my life it was all about Japanese and European cars. There was a huge bias being European myself and i would always make fun of American cars. It was mostly ignorance but it just didn't seem like American cars had anything to offer to the consumers that the Japanese and European automakers didn't already offer in spades.

But damn has the future really been kind to American performance cars. Not only do they look absolutely stunning but they are no longer push overs on the track. They are absolutely competitive by every conceivable metric and they are AFFORDABLE!

Shelby 350GTR
8ce8eb5f9522973be663a6c1ef5cfc25.jpg

Camaro z1LE
1494985301207.jpg

Charger Hellcat
2019-dodge-charger-srt(2).ashx

Dodge Demon
challengerdemon-1557775422.jpg

Ford GT
2020-forg-gt-mmp-1-1568650124.jpeg

Ford Mustang Ecoboost (4 Cylinder) for those who want to play the role but save a a bit on gas and insurance while still being a terrific performance platform
AAwfCHO.img

or even the Camaro equivalent 1LT
3397dea2772dd090de20f175020d622f.jpg

Luxury? No worries. Check this Lincoln Town Car.
lincolncontinental-coachdoors_hr_13.jpg

2017-Lincoln-Continental-cabin-760x507.jpg

And of course the c8 Corvette for 60K!
screen-shot-2019-10-03-at-9-21-22-am-1570109240.png

one criticism the Vette always had was cheapness with the interior. Well Chevy listened and decided to make up for it.
2020-Chevrolet-Corvette-Stingray-025.jpg

Im a noob when it comes to cars. But at the same time i also represent the general consumer and American cars have left my jaw on the floor the past few years. I still love my euro and japanese cars but honestly American cars have won me over at this point and spurred a new love for all things automotive.

I get some looks when I say I still drive our Lincoln towncar but those who have never owned one don’t understand.

It’s comfort and smoothness over power and pretense.

You can tell a lot about a person by the car they drive.

Having said all that we’re grabbing a Tesla in January and I’m just hoping it will be trouble free for a decade at least.

Also that the Dodge Demon does look wicked.

Last edited:
Daily driver is a f150 Ecoboost, weekend toy is a 600 hp big block 67 Chevelle. Murica!

I get some looks when I say I still drive our Lincoln towncar but those who have never owned one don’t understand.

It’s comfort and smoothness over power and pretense.

You can tell a lot about a person by the car they drive.

Having said all that we’re grabbing a Tesla I’m January and I’m just hoping it will be trouble free for a decade at least.

Having said all that the Dodge Demon does look wicked.

I'm waiting for the tesla truck to be unveiled (tomorrow?). Realistically I will need to wait 18 months to finish paying off a home loan before I can afford to get one.

I recently drove a Challenger (2018 SRT 392, 525 HP) for about 400km, borrowed from a friend of mine.
I was unimpressed.
It can go fast? Yes.
Is it comfortable? Yes.
But it's noisy, heavy, sluggish and not agile. I think the noisy part is on purpose, but after driving European cars for years, the noise level makes you feel like you are on a chariot pulled by a camel.
And the 525 HP feels like less than 300.
It's a good car, but not great. It is high speed cruising car or a dragster. Not something to use everyday and not something I'd drive fast outside of desert highways with no curves, for it feels like it has the handling of a Battleship. For the same amount of money, it is where American cars struggle,because there's just so many options that do not cater to so specific tastes.

I'm waiting for the tesla truck to be unveiled (tomorrow?). Realistically I will need to wait 18 months to finish paying off a home loan before I can afford to get one.
I’m not really that up to date with the news, it’s my wife who seems sold on the Tesla, we’ll be buying it outright so at that price I personally looked at a Navigator, Benz and a few BMW’s, but at the end of the day I care about comfort and safety more than anything, keeping the towncar for my daughter when she’s old enough as a joke lol

Yep, and American trucks are the best too.
your post and the use of ''too'' would suggest that you think the cars are the best ? which is clearly horseshit, although I do like the look of one or two of them.

I’m not really that up to date with the news, it’s my wife who seems sold on the Tesla, we’ll be buying it outright so at that price I personally looked at a Navigator, Benz and a few BMW’s, but at the end of the day I care about comfort and safety more than anything, keeping the towncar for my daughter when she’s old enough as a joke lol

I have never financed a car, but I also have never bought a car that is newer than 10 years old. I bought a house a few years ago and do a good bit of project work on it, I tow my 28' trailer and boat 25+ times a year, and do a good bit of mobile welding ( I can barely fit my generator, welder etc. in my Saab hatchback).

I just looked up the Tesla truck info and it looks like maybe a 2020 or 2021 production date which should line up nicely with my finances.

German and japanese over any american car always.

your post and the use of ''too'' would suggest that you think the cars are the best ? which is clearly horseshit, although I do like the look of one or two of them.

Sure, "best" is very subjective but I think the current American autos are very good.

I'm still wondering how Kia and Hyundai went from near Daewoo shit-tier level to like quite respectable in what, 5 years time?

I'm still wondering how Kia and Hyundai went from near Daewoo shit-tier level to like quite respectable in what, 5 years time?
They're still shit-tier... at least Kia.

Roommate's girlfriend has a Kia that started falling apart within 6 months of driving it off the lot. Steering controls developed this thing where they shake and make a grinding noise every time you hit a bump with it.

One thing that Americans have always done well is build muscle/ponycars and trucks.

Everything else was trash through the latter part of the 70s, then the 80s and most of the 90s.

But over the past 20 years they have stepped up their game in quality and reliability. Now they typically rank just as high if not higher than a lot of Japanese cars according to JD Power on an annual basis. Unfortunately, people are still stuck in the past and don't seem to realize this.

American sports cars and trucks have always been really good. That's why GM and Ford are going to concentrate on those cars in the future and stop making the others

One thing that Americans have always done well is build muscle/ponycars and trucks.

This right here. I don't drive American trucks or sedans but I'll always drive American muscle/sportscars.

They're still shit-tier... at least Kia.

Roommate's girlfriend has a Kia that started falling apart within 6 months of driving it off the lot. Steering controls developed this thing where they shake and make a grinding noise every time you hit a bump with it.
Lemon

That's why GM and Ford are going to concentrate on those cars in the future and stop making the others

GM is having serious issues with 2015+ Trucks that came with the 8sp automatic. It's pretty much a nightmare.

Back