Am I too old to train?

I remember presenting it to my wife.

"Ok, honey. I'm going to sell my golf clubs. That will pay for a few gis and all the stuff I need, videos and what not. I played golf twice a month, at least. That was over $100 a month easy, so that covers the tuition. As for time, when I played golf, I'd be gone for six hours minimum, so that's 12 hours a month, but we both know that I'd usually play 3 times a month....or 18 hours. Well, that's about 12 classes....so it'll be the same, but as you know, I never take the kids with me to golf. They have a place for the kids at this gym, so I'll take them with me."

For the most part, all that ended up being true. Of course, I go a bit more than 12 classes a month. More like 16 to 20, but I can do a lot of them while she's working anyway (so it doesn't eat away at her family time) or on nights when I want to encourage her to go swim (she loves that), since we won't be home anyway.

well played, counselor. I'd imagine there was an excellent powerpoint to accompany this presentation.

as far as the TS... no chance you're too old. Truthfully, I don't think it's ever too late as a matter of course, but some people have a lot of existing responsibilities (kids, work) that make it difficult. Still, those folks often consider it more rewarding and get MORE addicted. I'm glad I started in my mid-20's but most people feel like "I wish I started younger." If you start at 30, the chances are you won't be a Mundial champ (maybe Master/Senior), but the point is that you just love it when you do it.

Lurk here a lot, just don't post because I don't have much to say that somebody else hasn't said - same is true here. That said, as a 49 year old Blue Belt that started a little over 18 months ago I say you aren't even close to being too old.

I train 3-5 times a week and since there is very rarely anyone competing close to my age bracket I'm usually giving away 15+ years in competitions. Do I wish I was younger? Sure, but more so I could have my hair back then because I need it for BJJ.

Biggest issue is recovery on a daily basis. When I was young 2-a-day workouts were fun, now they are asking for injury. So I always train hard but try to make sure I recover well and take a day off after a couple of killer high-intensity days. When I am injured I make sure I address it and protect it (tapping is your friend when even mildly injured) so that little injuries don't turn into big injuries that keep me off the mat.

and remember the "old guy" mantra as you put that rear naked choke on some hyper-muscled 25 yr. old - "youth and skill are no match for old age and treachery." :)

Peace,
Zen Mojo

BrentwoodBJJ.com
Zen Mojo

It's all good. I didn't start training until 34 and still do very well against most anyone make rank/weight.

More importantly, went down to Gracie Barra last year and met a 57 year old black belt who started when he was 40. The dude was all I could handle. If he walked into a world-famous academy filled to the gills with black belts, and started at 40, you should have no problem.

I started late as well and also had knee issues due to years of powerlifting. Best thing I've ever done and I am in better shape than when I was in my mid-20s. Yes you get bumps, bruises, and tears, but the feeling after rolling intensely for an hour or 90 minutes is one of the best natural highs you will experience. I wouldn't be understating it to say that to me it's like a drug high. I'd also recommend some Ashtanga yoga to complement the BJJ. Will do wonders for your game and flexibility and will make you less prone to injury.

"youth and skill are no match for old age and treachery."

Very important ingredient here, I am always ruthless and cheat!

I read in one of the posts where one guy appreciates the old guys in his gym because they have no ego and are interested in his growth. True enough.

BUT, young guys hate old man strength and are cautious of a capable and in shape old man. I would recommend this to the old guys. Use their caution, beat em down and make it intimidating, getting in to their head first. "Treachery" is your friend, and pays in great dividends later.

Then you can be generous with techniques and helping their progress.

The "Tao of Montanha"

Note; What is lost, speed and strength with the passage of time, is replaced with endurance and mental toughness.:icon_chee

Funny how so many people say they take it easy on old guys. At my place the young wrastlers try to beat up on the old guys pretty hard. After I had to tell one particular meathead to never put his shin across the back of my neck again he didn't get it until I arm dragged his face across the mat. He almost started balling right there and now won't even acknowledge me. His gas tank might hold more gass than mine but my engine is a whole lot bigger.

I've been an ultimate couch potato for 25 years. Three months ago, I started to take Judo classes and a month ago I started to take BJJ as well. I train Judo-BJJ twice a week and sub wrestling once a week. People around me still thinks I'm crazy to do this at my age (mid-forties).

My body feels like it's been run over by a Mack truck but my mind has never been more clear. Right now, I'm concentrating on the basics and just learning how to survive on the mat. The younger guys at my gym really help me out--they don't cut me any slack but they always offer tips and advices. Hopefully, I can provide something to those guys as well.

I think training has really gave me a "re-birth" of sort...I feel alive. I now have a new goal:become a black belt in both Judo and BJJ. Heck, maybe I'll even compete if there's a tournament that has a "senior" catagory.

I also started running eight months ago. Since then, I ran two half-marathons. Someone in my running group told me that a person is never too old to run but will get old if he doesn't run. I think that's true for me in my Judo-BJJ journey...

I'll train as long as my body can handle it...if my body can't handle it then I'll still show up at the gym and do what I can.

I've been an ultimate couch potato for 25 years. Three months ago, I started to take Judo classes and a month ago I started to take BJJ as well. I train Judo-BJJ twice a week and sub wrestling once a week. People around me still thinks I'm crazy to do this at my age (mid-forties).

My body feels like it's been run over by a Mack truck but my mind has never been more clear. Right now, I'm concentrating on the basics and just learning how to survive on the mat. The younger guys at my gym really help me out--they don't cut me any slack but they always offer tips and advices. Hopefully, I can provide something to those guys as well.

I think training has really gave me a "re-birth" of sort...I feel alive. I now have a new goal:become a black belt in both Judo and BJJ. Heck, maybe I'll even compete if there's a tournament that has a "senior" catagory.

I also started running eight months ago. Since then, I ran two half-marathons. Someone in my running group told me that a person is never too old to run but will get old if he doesn't run. I think that's true for me in my Judo-BJJ journey...

I'll train as long as my body can handle it...if my body can't handle it then I'll still show up at the gym and do what I can.

I love this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back