Am I too old to train?

Will you ever be Abu Dhabi Open Weight Champ? Probably not

But are you too old to love BJJ and have fun and stay in shape? Absolutely not, it's silly to even ask!:icon_chee

And not to be a jerk, but forget the whole not wanting to lose thing. You never lose in Jiu Jitsu, you only learn, grow and adapt. In my opinion that is the one and only thing that cannot be compatible with jiu jitsu: EGO, if you can't tolerate not winning all of the time you're going to be miserable in jiu jitsu.

Good luck!

^^^ That.

I am 42 and just started 4 months ago with just some cardio. Then I added weights because I was bored on the elliptical. Then I thought, why don't I start doing the thing I love to watch? So I signed up for classes....my entire diet has changed. I eat 8 times a day, take vitamin packs, drink the shakes, eat the oatmeal.... I have been going 4 nights a week for 5 weeks. The other 3 nights I'm lifting or doing Tabatas. I'm already down to 196 from 208 and looking less like Homer Simpson every day.

I can barely get out of bed, tie my shoes, mow the lawn, and my arms and legs look like a dalmation from the bruises. I think my knee cap isn't where it should be, and I can't even check the right lane in my car anymore. But I've never felt more alive....and wtf else are ya gonna do? BJJ > World of Warcraft.

I'm 37, and have been training for about 9 months. Sure you get sore and all of that, however, the benefits far outweigh doing nothing.

I have a back injury currently(freak accident during rolling), that is probably going to keep me from going to class for a couple of weeks, however, that's a rarity. You'll be bruised up and sore sometimes, but its no biggie.

What would you rather do? Stare at a TV while running on a treadmill or actually using your brain while you exercise? :icon_chee

We have a person in his mid 50's at our school and he kills pretty much everybody.

Too old to compete in Mundials at adult black belt level? Yes.

Too old to enjoy training, learn effective techniques, spar competitively with younger guys on your team, and compete in and win local tournaments in the master's division? Hell no!

The first guy I ever rolled with was a guy in his 60's and he ruined my shit. Don't sweat it man.

I can barely get out of bed, tie my shoes, mow the lawn, and my arms and legs look like a dalmation from the bruises. I think my knee cap isn't where it should be, and I can't even check the right lane in my car anymore. But I've never felt more alive....and wtf else are ya gonna do? BJJ > World of Warcraft.

that is awesome :icon_chee

Didn't even bother reading past the title. No you're not too old to train. End of discussion. :icon_chee

is there any chance I will be effective in my 40s and 50s against younger faster students?

You will do just fine.

It is about learning to use correct techniques with leverage.

We have a guy at our academy that just completed his first year and he's 39. He's doing great and is a wonderful student. I don't think 40+ is too late to start.

You should start - you'll have fun doing it.

:icon_chee:icon_chee:icon_chee
Its like you were typing my words. LMAO!!! Never felt more alive brother. Never.
Its so amazing that something that causes us so much pain brings us so much satisfaction and stillness.

And I think you guys are right about the ego thing. I spent so many years in different sports where winning was the only thing. I will take a different approach on my journey with BJJ. I just love it so danged much. Even when my instructor is beating the $h!T out of me, I still love every minute of it.

I know a 65 year old purple belt that is also a cancer survivor.....if he can do it you should too.

We just had a 60 year old guy join our little informal grappling club. We coddle him and try to avoid breaking his brittle bones.

If you can set up your garage with mats there's no reason not to train. And you're not to old to start Jiu-Jitsu. :icon_chee

I'm, 39, been training for 3.5 years. I work and I take care of my 2 1/2 year old son. I train twice a week, at most. There are guys at the gym who are younger, train more, and are stronger and faster. But I can hold my own with almost anyone.

So no, you are not too ol to train.

I'm, 39, been training for 3.5 years. I work and I take care of my 2 1/2 year old son. I train twice a week, at most. There are guys at the gym who are younger, train more, and are stronger and faster. But I can hold my own with almost anyone.

So no, you are not too ol to train.

I have a few 40 year olds at my gym that beat me up all the time. The average age is probably mid 20's at my gym.

I Totally love threads like this! Because I'm 51, just started training about 3 weeks ago, and whenever there's a thread like this I get to hear about all the dudes that are older, and badder than me! Total inspiration! Just ask yourself this! Are you too old to be a BJJ warrior, or too young to turn into a keyboard warrior? Simple answer to me! Yeah, injuries may be a little more often and longer to heal, but you will be getting huge benefits from training, both physical and mental! Like the Nike commercial...Just Do It!! :icon_chee

55, a carpenter my whole life. Started at 40 and have a who's who list of guys I have tapped over the years[when they were lower belts coming up, that is]. 15 years of training, and a Cesar Gracie Brown belt.

Mind you though, I had some conditioning going in. HS, College and 20 years of adult city league Basketball after that. Broke my foot at 38, BJJ was a perfect fit to continue getting a good cardio workout and stay fit.

I have cut back, but still trying to quit smoking. My point in telling ya that is, just keep training and trying to improve your life. There are no excuses for not getting on the mat. Age, weight or condition.....just train.

Technique compensates for age against the lower belts, and the higher belts will test your will to even keep going, but who cares!? it is the greatest sport or activity EVER!

Most important thing is, if you have fun and like it........just do it!

no you are most certainly not too old to train. I've met plenty of blue belts in the 50's that started in their 50's and some were downright nasty.

"you can act like a man!", (SLAP!!!) -Vito Corelone

I Totally love threads like this! Because I'm 51, just started training about 3 weeks ago, and whenever there's a thread like this I get to hear about all the dudes that are older, and badder than me! Total inspiration! Just ask yourself this! Are you too old to be a BJJ warrior, or too young to turn into a keyboard warrior? Simple answer to me! Yeah, injuries may be a little more often and longer to heal, but you will be getting huge benefits from training, both physical and mental! Like the Nike commercial...Just Do It!! :icon_chee

Where are you training man?

Back