Am I too old to train?

Tenshun

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm in my late 30s and have only been training for a year. My wife needed to take a new position at work and I will have to stay home with my kids for at least 2 years. When I start back training again, ill be a white belt in my 40s.. is there any chance I will be effective in my 40s and 50s against younger faster students?

Go train and find out.

Staying at home with your kids does not mean you can't train.

Find another way. Take them with you, with a portable movie player, pay a babysitter once a week just to stay in the game. See if they have day classes (if your kids are school aged).

And no, I train with plenty of people older than you.

You would not be old even in your forties, as long as you are dedicated. Anyway I don't have children (neither a wife, I'm still young :icon_chee) but is it THIS hard to find even some small, small time in a month to go and train right now in this period?

No
We have a student who started training in his 50's, he is now a Brown Belt and in his 60's, crafty mofo lol taps me ALL the time. Get in there & don't worry about you're age

never too old to train, there are plenty of gentlemen in their 40's and 50's who are just beginning. jump in, test the waters, chances are, regardless of your age, youll still like it.

Helio Gracie was like 94 man. You got a hell of a lot of time to whip ass.

That's really good to hear. I love the art so much but I also like winning. Training for only a year has caused my arthritis to stay flared daily. Bruised and strained knees,wrists,elbows, and rotators take weeks if noth months for me to recover from. I'm sure the same and more could be said for us all.
But, outside of my passion for BJJ, lies my greater passion for competition. And for a while I was beginning to worry that I will lose a bit more of my speed, explosiveness, and range of motion. Rendering my largely inept(in my self assessment pitting me against a younger me).

Will you ever be Abu Dhabi Open Weight Champ? Probably not

But are you too old to love BJJ and have fun and stay in shape? Absolutely not, it's silly to even ask!:icon_chee

And not to be a jerk, but forget the whole not wanting to lose thing. You never lose in Jiu Jitsu, you only learn, grow and adapt. In my opinion that is the one and only thing that cannot be compatible with jiu jitsu: EGO, if you can't tolerate not winning all of the time you're going to be miserable in jiu jitsu.

Good luck!

Chances are you wont even be the oldest guy in the gym.

Early 40's is definitely not too old to train.

I'm 41 and started early this year. I plan on doing it as long as I can. With age you should have some perspective. I'm in the best shape I've been in years (lost 35 lbs of fat). Of course if I were 20 years younger I would be faster, stronger, quicker, and not have the aches and pains, and certainly could kick my 40 yr ass. But so what? I have competed and plan on competing more. Probably won't see many in the senior bracket so I'll fight the young bucks. Probably will lose my share. Having a blast though and hope the old body holds up!

I have an 8 and 2 year old, my own business, demanding wife (don't get me started). You can make the time if its important to you.

Unless you are in the 70-80 range you are not too old to train.

just sign up your kids for whatever kids program they have at your school and take them with you

I train with guys that are well older than you. Like everyone else they develop games that fit there body style. Just because someone is younger and faster does not mean they will automatically be able to beat you.

I was rolling with a 65 year old man not that long ago. Old dudes always have old man strength, hahah.

It's only too late when you decide it is.

I'm in my late 30s and have only been training for a year. My wife needed to take a new position at work and I will have to stay home with my kids for at least 2 years. When I start back training again, ill be a white belt in my 40s.. is there any chance I will be effective in my 40s and 50s against younger faster students?

If you get attacked or robbed while you or your family are vacationing in europe or the us or Asia can you say I'm too old, please don't attack me.

you won't be too old to train . . . ever

but don't wait.

I took four years off and I'm kicking myself. looking back, there was time. . not much . . but there was still time

You're never too old
There's always time
You'll regret waiting

we have a 64/65 year old guy at our gym. he began training about a year and a half ago and just got his blue belt...

Back