Am I too old to train?

What an inspiration this thread is. Thank you to everyone who chipped in!

Thank you all for the words of wisdom. I feel ready to take it on full throttle. I even had an awesome training session today at my school. I think I will try and train until my bones can heal no longer. 25 years of basketball destroyed my knee cartilage, and my lower back. After a year of Jiu Jitsu, my back has never felt better(all the bridging).

Man im pumped right now. THANK YOU ALL:icon_chee

just sign up your kids for whatever kids program they have at your school and take them with you

Great idea! I don't know how old your children are but if they're old enough, I HIGHLY suggest this. I'm in my 30's with two kids. This year, my children started training. They have class just before me, once a week. It is good excercise for them a great bonding experience! Turn training into a family affair!!

...and having my precious daughter ask me to roll with her after dinner fills me with a particular kind of joy!!

I'm in my late 30s and have only been training for a year. My wife needed to take a new position at work and I will have to stay home with my kids for at least 2 years. When I start back training again, ill be a white belt in my 40s.. is there any chance I will be effective in my 40s and 50s against younger faster students?

Well, I'm a white belt in my 50's so I'll chime in.
Last night in class when rolling time came (we had an odd number of students) I commented that nobody wanted to roll with the "old man" because they were scared they'ed hurt him & one of the younger guys (20's) said that it was probably more because they were worried I'd kick their ass.
Anyone with comparable training time / size I'm on equal footing with & my age is irrelevant. The only limitations I have stem from past injuries (which are healing pretty good) & not age related.
And... I'm not the oldest white belt in the school either- we have 2 guys in their 60's just starting.

Go & train, no worries about age (besides, it's fun to tap kids younger than your children). :icon_chee

you should be eating superhealthy and if not training, at least workout 3-5 times a week, run every morning

make sure you use supplements too, specifically glucosamine chondrotin for your joints
i take a multivitamin, fish oil, flaxseed oil, glucosamine and i eat lots of fruits and vegetables all day, oh and drink alot of water all day too because you will lose alot of water training (and i mean dont poison yourself with water, that's really really bad) i believe i will be rolling till the day i die at 125

they'll have to give me my 10th degree by then ;)

Last edited:
...& one of the younger guys (20's) said that it was probably more because they were worried I'd kick their ass.

this, i fear the old man strength, some older guys ive noticed have incredible base and grips

ive rolled with 60 yr olds that have way more energy and movement than some 20 yr olds

I'm 43.

This summer I have been training 4-5 times per week with moderate intensity . I mountain bike, swim, hike, and do other exercises as well. I roll with world champion black belts and famous MMA fighters on occasion.

I was worried that 40 something would be old, but far from it. I have been an athlete my entire life. I don't see any reason to stop until my heart stops beating...

We have a guy in his late 50's in our school who is a Rickson Gracie brownbelt. Trust me, he taps everyone all over the mat. He probably didn't train until he was in his late 40's.

The thing that really holds people back in BJJ as they get older is some pride. It's hard for some older guys to get annihilated by high school punks. But I really like to roll with the older guys who are good because they are so willing to work with you and teach. They really are the most valuable guys in the school because they don't care so much about kicking your butt as they do having you learn...

Work at it, get good, and your unique perspective makes you an extremely valuable asset to your school..

A brilliant inspiring thread. I'm 46 and want to start BJJ soon. I trained in JKD for a while 15 years ago. So now i've just got to break the news to the wife:icon_lol:

A brilliant inspiring thread. I'm 46 and want to start BJJ soon. I trained in JKD for a while 15 years ago. So now i've just got to break the news to the wife:icon_lol:

Yeah that's a fun challenge. I'm 25 trying to convince the wife. Difficult to justify spending that money with other responsibilities. I'm just working some extra hours and saving up. Awesome so many are training at older ages.

Yeah that's a fun challenge. I'm 25 trying to convince the wife. Difficult to justify spending that money with other responsibilities. I'm just working some extra hours and saving up. Awesome so many are training at older ages.

Give up something in trade. Preferably, something that she already hates or, at least, doesn't care for.

I gave up golf, and thus, have money to spare, which I give to her for the kids and her hobby.

Yeah that's a fun challenge. I'm 25 trying to convince the parole officer . Difficult to justify spending my own money with other responsibilities. I'm just working some extra hours and saving up. Awesome so many are training at older ages.

fyp

I gave up golf, and thus, have money to spare, which I give to her for the kids and her hobby.

LOL, I gave up Golf too. Doing jiu-jitsu, now golf seems like an old man sport. Even sold my Ping driver too.

LOL, I gave up Golf too. Doing jiu-jitsu, now golf seems like an old man sport. Even sold my Ping driver too.

I remember presenting it to my wife.

"Ok, honey. I'm going to sell my golf clubs. That will pay for a few gis and all the stuff I need, videos and what not. I played golf twice a month, at least. That was over $100 a month easy, so that covers the tuition. As for time, when I played golf, I'd be gone for six hours minimum, so that's 12 hours a month, but we both know that I'd usually play 3 times a month....or 18 hours. Well, that's about 12 classes....so it'll be the same, but as you know, I never take the kids with me to golf. They have a place for the kids at this gym, so I'll take them with me."

For the most part, all that ended up being true. Of course, I go a bit more than 12 classes a month. More like 16 to 20, but I can do a lot of them while she's working anyway (so it doesn't eat away at her family time) or on nights when I want to encourage her to go swim (she loves that), since we won't be home anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back