am I the only one who thinks Khabib/Conor won't happen?

Conor's persona is largely based on never, ever, and for good measure, ever, getting a fight cancelled once the UFC has announced that he's gonna be on a card. The kind of injuries that lead, say, Aldo, Werdum, Dos Anjos, Khabib, Pettis and others to pull out are the kind he places ice over and he's good to go. It's a core part of his appeal to the UFC crowd. Now we don't know for sure what state of mind Conor is in and in the fight world nothing is guaranteed 100 % but it's rather likely that Conor is relying on keeping his current image alive. Which means no pullouts as long as he can walk properly to the Octagon.

I've also noted before that while I generally avoid Infowars Illuminate type of crazy talk, here we have a Conor Khabib fight in Vegas. I would imagine there's highly influential bookers and promoters behind the scenes who have massive financial incentives with a Conor Khabib fight in Vegas. And i would imagine they would have ways to get around USADA drug rules, allowing for more effective recovery for possible injuries and easier weight cutting, connections that can thwart the regulations, including payoffs if needed, and other such measures. This is a once in a lifetime event that's gonna make some important people massive profits and it's hard to believe they'd just rollover for excessive regulations and let injuries ruin this.

Regardless, in this card there are three main figures: Conor, Tony and Khabib. If all three make it to the Octagon, it's something to do backflips over. What most fans are most likely praying to some sort of divine presence for (even if they are in the Dawkins/Hitchens category of non believers) is that two out of those three make it to UFC 229. If it's Conor and Khabib, the fight goes as planned. If it's Conor and Tony, then we get to see Conor against the most effective LW striker he hasn't yet faced. If it's Tony and Khabib, it would be unfortunate but at least we'd finally get to see a major lw fight that's been cancelled 5 times before. The major issue is that there is no lw fighter who can provide anything as remotely interesting as those 3 fights. The only one in the same galaxy in terms of how interesting it could be is Conor Pettis to see if maybe Pettis could pull of the biggest miracle upset ever.

All this said, there's clearly no way it's just you who has reservations about this fight being intact.

1. Conor has never pulled out of a fight
2. He tried not to do media for Diaz 2, so him not doing media now is not surprising.
3. Ferguson is far more likely to be booked on the card to cover a potential Khabib Tiramisu withdrawal, not Conor.
The reason Conor's manner of self promotion worked so well is precisely because of how well it was backed up. Which meant a flawless track record of not pulling out of fights when advertised. Even with his success in finishing established UFC fighters, his schtick would have gotten nowhere if he had a track record of pulling out a week or so before scheduled fights due to training improperly, needing to be 100 % or what not. He would have faced accusations of hiding from having to back up what he says, just as Ferguson did in his last fight and Dos Anjos did when he pulled out of the McGregor fight.

Conors never pulled out.

Khabib has many times.

Conor chose money fights when he had the leverage. He's always been honest about his "get rich quick" intentions.
Conor's haters have been really upset this month.
Running out of things to cry about as the fight gets closer. Realizing you can't use the "he's ducking" excuse anymore.

cIyWwOZ.gif

I'm questioning the UFC more than McGregor honestly. They've got a pretty shitty track record recently, so kind of hard to ignore.

Don't think it fits your trash Khabib/push up Conor agenda to talk about history... at all. Conor literally gave up his belt while perfectly healthy to not do it, after literally setting the longest consecutive period in MMA history not-defending. But um sure, Khabib missed weight vs another guy three fights ago. I guess repeating that obscures the painfully obvious truth.
This motherfucker says "literally" more than a 15 year old white girl. When did males become so God damn soft? I blame the internet.

Ya its hard to belive reality when you get deludes by hate TS.

Tony surely asked for the Pettis fight to be in the card

His entire rise was based on belts. If it wasn't for them he'd be a hardcore favorite only. There's a reason casuals made him a superstar, and a reason it didn't happen until belts were involved.

Q: When did Conor hit it big?
A: Either winning interim BELT or FW BELT

Q: When did Conor become a superstar?
A: Becoming the owner of TWO BELTS

Q: Why did Mayweather fight him?
A: Once he was the owner of two BELTS/not the "random Irish guy from the UFC."

Q: What is the most common promo image of him in UFC history?
A: Holding two BELTS

Q: Why did WME allow him to set the record the longest non-defense in the history of MMA?
A: Because they wanted him to maintain his BELT (aka marketability)

Q: How is this fight being marketed?
A: Conor coming back to get a BELT

Again... the duck was 223. And 222. And 221. And 220. And every card that WME would have LOVED to book him and he didn't. They pushed Khabib (and Tony) vs Conor over and over and he refused over and over, up to and including the night he lost his belt due to refusing to fight Khabib. And the best part is no one has a single excuse why he set that record for non-defense. Other than "he is rich" apparently ha.
Will ufc 229 sell any less because he isn't a champion?

Why didn't he fight at 221, 222, 223?

If it's because he was ducking, why is he fighting Khabib now?

This thread is based on faulty logic, the guy never ducked anybody tbh. Pretty obvious too.

Until the cage door is locked and the ref points to each corner and says "are you ready?" to both Khabib and Conor, I'm not getting my hopes up at all.

Conor champ champ McGregor always shows up.

Khabib pulls out as soon as the going gets tough.

The only fighter pulling out of this fight will be Khabib.

i dont think not wanting to do media is the same as not wanting to fight

I'm questioning the UFC more than McGregor honestly. They've got a pretty shitty track record recently, so kind of hard to ignore.

Don't think it fits your trash Khabib/push up Conor agenda to talk about history... at all. Conor literally gave up his belt while perfectly healthy to not do it, after literally setting the longest consecutive period in MMA history not-defending. But um sure, Khabib missed weight vs another guy three fights ago. I guess repeating that obscures the painfully obvious truth.
I would have gave up my title too in order to make 10 paydays in less then 30 minutes.

giphy.gif

We are literally watching the epic meltdown of Conor haters as we speak

He gave up his belt rather than defend. He literally sacrificed his most valuable marketing asset (meaning the belt), while being the most marketing-centered fighter in the sport's history.

I literally can't think of a more clear example, I don't know what to tell you. I guess I'll just ask you to explain why you think he gave up his belt at 223. It wasn't maternity leave, wasn't health issues, wasn't boxing, and wasn't making money since none of those things were happening.

Conveniently ignoring that Conor was fighting RDA for the interim WW belt the next month, trying to become the first ever 3 weight champion.

You can call Conor many things but a coward he is not
Dude fought chad mendes on 1 week notice
Fought a P4P great, undefeated boxer in his own fucking sport, in his first appearance in boxing.
Called out an untouchable juggernaut (at the time) for years on end even took his belt from him like nothing
Lost by submission to a zombie and refused to entertain any fight until he got that one back...
Fought Diaz on 10 days notice
Accepted a fight with RDA when his whole UFC history to that point had been at FW

I swear people are fucking retarded

I will be highly disappointed if this fight doesn't happen next month.

Back