Am I the only one who thinks cain isn't really all that good?

Isn't that good? That might be a stretch. I've never been overly impressed by Cain. He's definitely good, but I think he's really overrated. He has speed and wrestling on his side. If Kongo would've been able to stuff his takedowns, he likely would've been knocked out. JDS stuffed the one takedown he attempted and that turned out to be his downfall. I don't think Cain is #2 in the world, but he's probably top 5 since I can't think of 5 guys that would beat him.

Bottom line is, Cain's standup isn't that good compared to plenty of other guys. He'll swarm guys and catch them by surprise because of his speed, but he won't be winning any striking matches with anyone that has real technical skill. His chin also seems to be a little shaky. When I think of Cain, I usually think of the Kongo fight...right hand from Kongo, Cain does stanky leg, takes Kongo down, repeat 3 times.

Cain most likely gets knocked out again on the 29th. It might last a little longer because I see him trying to hold onto Junior when he doesn't get a td right away or isn't able to hold him down. I say 3rd round at the latest.

How was Lesnar a terrible fight? He wasn't champion for nothing, and Cain dominated him. Not to mention dominating Big Foot, Big Nog, Rothwell, and coming back from taking Kongo's best shots to dominate him too. Even if he loses to JDS again he's still a top 2-3 HW and I'd take him to beat Overeem.

um, lesnar was champion for nothing, he beat old man couture who even fights at LHW, for the belt, and was retired by a LHW after getting his teeth literally kicked out in the process, winning belts from old men who fight in a division below you with a terrible record isn't special.

he was exposed by cain and then again by overeem, he had nothing for either of them, fujita put up a better fight than lesnar. he is a terrible fighter.
big foot win was his most impressive fight so far to me.
I can't believe you even brought up Rothwell, that's dumb as all.
big nog is past prime, and getting wrecked by mir now a days.
I hope your smart enough to not bet an large amount of money on cain vs. reem.

1.gif

This is terrible MMAth.
Using the Kongo fight is a terrible example (even though he won)- he has changed as a fighter, his striking is light years from what it was in the Kongo fight.

And when did he show that? When he looked uncomfortable exchanging strikes with Rothwell? When even Lesnar's abysmal striking was able to land on him? Or when Dos Santos knocked him out? Cmon now, you can't claim his striking is "light years" ahead until we've seen it in action.

I've seen all his fights and I don't think he's the #1 or #2 honestly, I think JDS is on an entire new level and he's probably only friends with Comier cause he doesn't want a piece of that action but I think JDS is #1 and Comier #2 and #3 would have to be Reem and #4 Werdum and #5 Cain

I'm not trying to bash cain, he doesn't even have a dozen fights yet. But as of now I don't understand why alot of people think he is the number 1 HW...other than a lack of depth in the division.

his most impressive win was obviously when he won the belt, problem with that is he won it against lesnar, who is a terrible fighter, so cain basically got the belt and number 1 HW status for free. another impressive win was I don't know, big nog maybe? pat barry could probably ko big nog. besides that all that comes to mind when I think of cain is him getting dropped repeatedly and taken down by kongo, then getting ko'd in under 90 seconds by JDS in his first defense.

also mir has beat big nog twice, and beat lesnar also, and held the HW belt, and lasted longer against JDS than cain, that stomps cain's entire career and mir isn't even top 5. It just boggles my mind when I think of why people talk about cain so highly, I never thought he was an amazing fighter.

Anyone care to tell me why he is?

Actually, looking back there is some truth to this... That Cain really hasn't been as amazing as some say... but I think thats an experience issue. He seems to get better and better
and his beatdown of Bigfoot was masterful. He has a young career.

Unrelated but its a horrible time for him to rematch JDS. Why we are seeing this again so soon boggles my mind. Cain is far and away the #2 HW but he just fought for the title. Would be much better if they built up the tension more and Cain got more experience. I think he's probably getting beat up for 5 rounds.

And when did he show that? When he looked uncomfortable exchanging strikes with Rothwell? When even Lesnar's abysmal striking was able to land on him? Or when Dos Santos knocked him out? Cmon now, you can't claim his striking is "light years" ahead until we've seen it in action.

Lesnar's striking in the Cain fight? Not even close, terrible example. He got clipped briefly, you're making it sound like it was this back and forth exchange lol. Hardly.

Cain dominated Rothwell. Cain dominated Lesnar. Cain dominated Nogueira. Cain dominated Bigfoot, all with strikes. So yeah, I'd say its vastly improved, no?

I keep seeing people say he is good or whatever, but apparently nobody has any reasons he is good? his standup isn't good at all, but his wrestling and cardio are pretty great, but if he loses again to JDS it just proves he isn't top 3.

How does it prove he's not top 3? He'll have two losses on his record, both to the same guy (number one). It doesn't mean Cain isn't better than everyone else in the division.

Look, it's clear you're a hater. You bashed Brock - who was a little better than the free pass you make him out to be (and I notice that you didn't mention that Brock destroyed Mir at UFC 100 in their second fight). And you clearly don't like Cain. Which is fine. But he's won every fight he's had, except for his tilt with JDS. And Cain might lose the rematch. Doesn't mean Cain isn't a great fighter. It means JDS is better.

Actually, looking back there is some truth to this... That Cain really hasn't been as amazing as some say... but I think thats an experience issue. He seems to get better and better
and his beatdown of Bigfoot was masterful. He has a young career.

Unrelated but its a horrible time for him to rematch JDS. Why we are seeing this again so soon boggles my mind. Cain is far and away the #2 HW but he just fought for the title. Would be much better if they built up the tension more and Cain got more experience. I think he's probably getting beat up for 5 rounds.

i still can't say #2 with Overeem out there yet...:icon_conf
didn't Reem smash Brock too?

his standup isn't good at all

Well, that's just a terrible assessment. Cain's striking is excellent when compared with most people his size. His kickboxing is better than Junior's and that's not even debatable, that's a fact. Cain will do in this fight what he should have done in the first one and that is simply not stand in front of JDS and those explosive hands of his and drag that boy straight to hell! Gonna be a long day for Junior..

Well, that's just a terrible assessment. Cain's striking is excellent when compared with most people his size. His kickboxing is better than Junior's and that's not even debatable, that's a fact. Cain will do in this fight what he should have done in the first one and that is simply not stand in front of JDS and those explosive hands of his and drag that boy straight to hell! Gonna be a long day for Junior..

This.

i still can't say #2 with Overeem out there yet...:icon_conf
didn't Reem smash Brock too?

Who has Overeem beaten at HW? He's barely had any fights at HW and was outstruck by Werdum. Theres still like 5-6 guys who I think give him a massive test.

he has a terrible chin man, 15 minutes against kongo, might get him another loss.

I wonder how many sherdoggers would survive 5 seconds against Kongo...
and let's remember that Cain actually won that fight without losing a round.

i do think he is good. but i also think he is slightly overrated on the boards here.

I love how Lesnar has been reduced to nothing in Shertard eyes.

The man beat Herring, Couture, Mir and Carwin, and still isn't a good win for Cain? Gtfo.

Getting knocked out by a JDS uppercut just says that you are human. Roy Nelson just has a super human chin (or shock absorbing fat)

Back