All Time GOAT poll

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Tachy, Feb 23, 2019.

?

Who is the current GOAT

1. GSP

35.2%
  2. Fedor

26.1%
  3. Silva

8.9%
  4. Jones

22.5%
  5. Johnson

1.5%
  6. Other

4.6%
  7. Aldo

1.1%
  1. Intellidamus Title Belt

There’s some definite hate on here for GSP also.

Dbreiden83080 and Yukito like this.
  2. Bad Karate Purple Belt

Not nearly as much. GSPs haters for the most part acknowledge he is great. Jons haters act like his reign never happened.

King in the North and noc like this.
  3. Intellidamus Title Belt

I think Jones haters question whether his success would be the same without the obvious PED usage.
    GSP haters only acknowledge he’s just good enough to make their arguments seem sincere. In the meantime, they act as if his clean record is more damning than the guys that actually popped for PEDs.

Yukito and bdstwin like this.
  4. lostdog000 Gold Belt

5. Intellidamus Title Belt

6. lostdog000 Gold Belt

the seller is saying she will take best offer.
    part of me wants to buy the stuff, but i just dont need it

7. Migdagen Green Belt

I have GSP and Jones at the very top, but Fedor and Anderson should be very close. These 4 are at the very top of the mountain. Arguments are be made left and right every week to try to position one above the others, but honestly, it is so debatable and depends on what you value the most. For me D.Jonhson is too small to be considered GOAT, but he definitly have a place in P4P discussions.

BTW, I am surprised that Anderson is not doing better in the poll.

Also, why is Also still in these poll. It is like still arguing that BJ penn is the goat. We know now that him or Aldo ain't. There are no argument left for them. Can a GOAT have such shitty cardio that they would always loose a 5th round vs decent competition?

8. Dbreiden83080 Andle My Riddum

35% common sense shined through..

Bouboumaster likes this.
  9. Steaminalex Orange Belt

Lol. This thread was pretty much solved on the first page. Stats speak for themselves. GSP is one of the few guys that made this a sport instead of a circus. Biggest talent is Jones, Ultimate badass is Fedor.

Bouboumaster likes this.
  10. Zebra Cheeks 2Cheeks Staff Member Senior Moderator

Where’s the option for Khazmat? <{outtahere}>

Typrune Goatley likes this.
  11. Rear Nakey Green Belt

Beyond ridiculous to include a guy that’s 10-6 in the UFC.

12. ShreddinMMA Gold Belt

Huh.

Solid post. I agree 100%.

13. chosaMF White Belt

GSP by a very wiiide margin:))

14. SheepOrGoat White Belt

Nate Diaz

15. Franklin U. Gold Belt

Jones Mousaai Anderson Aldo -
    The first tier of " g.o.a.t. ".

Conor would make such a list - lol- just not where he puts himself. Poirier fight spoke VOLUMES where he is at. The problem is when the tough get going , McGregor- well- the tough GET GOING ¿ ¿ ¿

16. SiMntjMMA Green Belt

GSP goat in and outside the octagon

Yukito likes this.
  17. Bigdogsherdog Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

McGregor for his brand awareness

nobody knows who GSP is

18. AndersonSilva23 Orange Belt

1. Jones
    2. GSP
    3. Silva
    4. Fedor

5. Khabib
    6. Johnson
    7. Aldo
    8. Cormier

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020 at 9:01 AM
  19. B.J. Holloway Yellow Card Yellow Card

I am more interested in the GOAT lineage. What I mean by this is who was the consensus GOAT at any given point and how did it evolve over time?

I am a relatively new fan - I began following the sport heavily in late 2018 - but I have memories of the UFC from my middle school years.

I remember when Silva lost, when rumors of some walking mountain named Brock Lesnar who was allegedly invincible became the champion only to lose to some guy named Cain Velasquez (now I know both but I remember the hype) I can honestly tell all of you that when BJ Penn lost to Edgar the island of Oahu LITERALLY went into mourning mode. He was a state hero and our diplomat the same way that Fedor is Russia's diplomat. I also remember Silva losing twice and people refusing to believe he was done.

I regarded the Ronda hype as unbearable and couldn't fathom why women were in the UFC but it was really the national rally around Floyd moments when he fought Pacquiao and McGregor that got me into MMA full time. I remember Conor news spamming my feed all throughout 2015 and 2016

So before the dicks on here show up to trebuchet shit in my direction for watching from 2018 onwards I have two responses.

One my evil stepmom said I was too young to watch the ufc when I wanted to watch it back in 2011-13 and I wasn't old enough to shake her influence off until 2018.

For two i am almost certain that a very large and significant part of the fanbase gets assimilated through a elite hype agenda.

For my generation it was Conor. For the one before mine it was Chuck. Around the 2000s idk who it was and in the 90s? It was Royce.

So on to the question of the GOAT lineage. This is for knowledgeable fans of MMA history and ESPECIALLY for the old dogs still hanging around that actually remember this time. Who were the consensus GOATs in order and how has the conversation evolved?

Here is what my research has lead me to

1993-2006 - I think the Consensus GOAT was Royce Gracie.

2006-?? - Matt Hughes - He is left out of these conversations way too often in my opinion and i think it's sad that a lot of new fans don't even know who he is despite being the only welterweight in the UFC who can hold a candle to GSP's record. He was at one point a juggernaut.

I don't know when... But eventually the conversation switched over to Anderson Silva.

????- 2015 - GSP - Like it or not, the consensus GOAT will simply never be anyone below the weight of 170 pds. It's got to be someone above that weight. From what I gather there have been 4 major contenders these past 4 years and they were St. Pierre, Silva, Jones and Fedor. Between 2015 and 16, Fedor had gone on a 3 fight losing streak all by finish, Jon Jones went from being a Sunday school boy to being a full blown psycho who wanted to murder DC and then he popped for steroids and ran over a pregnant woman only to flee the scene not once but twice since he wanted his crack pipe.

After the elimination of his competition St. Pierre was promoted from being the Canadian Decisionator who ran away from GSP to being the last Man standing in the conversation.

When he came back to destroy Mike Bisping it only solidified his record.

Now.... I think we may be approaching a Gracie-Hughes moment. I do believe that GSP can and will beat Khabib but his age and wear and tear MIGHT... be too much.

If Khabib beats GSP I think he will be the new consensus GOAT.

I also think that if Tony beats Dustin he will get a title shot and I truly do believe that Khabib will fight him despite the whole 30-0 thing. He mentions in his memoir thousands of times how bad he wants to fight Tony.

I also think that once he passes through Tony that if Conor gets some legitimate wins he will get a rematch because Khabib may want the money for his projects.

He will retire at this point is my prediction as of now. I also think Khazmat will become the Welterweight champion within 2 or 3 years and that Khabib will return to fight him.

A little known bit of trivia is that Khabib has said he can make 145. If he beats a WW Khazmat and gets a LW record of 5 defenses and Volk is still around... Who has said he wants Khabib then Khabib may fight him.

It's a stretch to make predictions this far out because for all we know Khazmat could crash and burn the way Alexander Hernandez, Johnny Walker, Chase Hooper and now Edmen Shahbazyan have done.

Tony could either lose to Dustin or another fluke could happen. Prompting him to retire and Conor t become the champ. If this happens, Conor will probably beat Khabib's defense record and if he does then Khabib could be prompted to return and show the world he is the best.

So my question to the old dogs I simple. How did we get from Hughes to Silva? Wasn't Fedor considered the GOAT at one point around the late 00s?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020 at 6:58 AM
    Joe_Armstrong likes this.
  20. I WILL CUT YOU Calamity from the Heavens Platinum Member

It's Fedor for me, but GSP is also the correct answer.

Jones and Silva are amazing, but to me a GOAT can't piss hot in a "clean" org multiple times.

War Fedor
    War GSP

Bouboumaster likes this.