Alex Ovechkin’s Knockout Was So Impressive the UFC Commented on It

Ovechkin is A-Level

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

19-Year-Old Russian Middleweight (187 lbs) Challenges Veteran Heavyweight (239 lbs); It Doesn't End Well

Alex Ovechkin is already considered of the greatest hockey players of all-time, but his brutal first-period knockout of Andrei Svechnikov was one of those rare highlights that transcended hockey.

Monday night, 21 minutes after Ovechkin’s do-si-do, the UFC — a multi-billion-dollar MMA enterprise — commented on Ovechkin’s fight on Twitter.

Svechnikov asked Ovechkin to fight despite giving up nearly 40 pounds to the Russian machine. Ovechkin landed three consecutive rights for, as the UFC calls it, the finish.

“You know what they say… ‘Precision beats power, and timing beats speed,'” the UFC said.

“First of all I hope he’s all right. Don’t want the guy hurt. I’m not a big fighter, he is the same. He asked me to fight.”

For the 33-year-old striker it was his first fight since 2010; it was Svechnikov’s first fight.

#respectyourelders
#pickonsomeoneyourownsize

--Russian Machine

Ovechkin told reporters after the game that Svechnikov asked him to fight, but that was not good enough for Carolina head coach Rod Brind’Amour who voiced his displeasure after the game.

“Svech means a lot to us,” Brind’Amour said to the media after the game. “Young kid, just turned 19. He has a special bond I think with our group and me, too. So when you see that, it makes you sick. I’m still sick to my stomach about it.”

Seeing Svechnikov go down the way he did was certainly unsettling. No one wants to see anyone get hurt. Brind’Amour, however, indicated he was not happy about Ovechkin taking on the young rookie.

“I just heard Ovi talk about it,” Brind’Amour said. “He said our guy challenged him so if that’s the case, that’s a little different. But if you watch the video, because I’ve got to watch it, he slashes him twice, Ovi. Whack, whack. And then Svech gives him back. I don’t know if there’s words exchanged, but one guy’s gloves comes off way first and that’s Ovi’s, it’s not our guy’s. It’s a little bit frustrating because he got hurt and it’s his first fight. He’s played 90 games, he’s never fought in his life and I’m pretty sure Ovi knew that. That stuff bothers me, but it’s done."

https://www.nbcsports.com/washingto...r-disputes-ovechkins-account-svechnikov-fight

Last edited:
Aint even close to greatest player of all time. Sheeeit.

Knocked out a rookie that just turned 19 few weeks ago.

Precision beats power? Not really the most apt quote given that Ovechkin would probably be two weight classes above Svechnikov with a clear power advantage.

Hes already greatest goal scorer of all time.
Also Svechnikov asked for that ko.

Greatest player overall no. Greatest goal scorer, he's already on the shortlist of candidates if he retired tomorrow.

I mean gretzky might be better but who else

Lemieux and Orr clearly. Probably Phil Esposito, Crosby. Arguably or probably Howe, Richard, Coffey. Maybe Bourque, Yzerman, Jagr, Messier, Bossy, Denis Potvin...

Last edited:
that KO was nasty tho.

Go to the bench for 5 minutes,
and think about what you've done....

what? the other guy is like 50 pounds lighter...

Not wanting to come across as ignorant, but why does hockey persist in entertaining a violence-based culture? In no way does that help the perspective of the sport, it comes across as amateurish and discreditable.

I'll withhold comment until the post-game drug test results come out

Not wanting to come across as ignorant, but why does hockey persist in entertaining a violence-based culture? In no way does that help the perspective of the sport, it comes across as amateurish and discreditable.
Its part of the game, not sure what else there is to say. This is UFC highlighting this event, not NHL.

It doesn’t.. they’ve been phasing fighting out of the game for the past few years if you actually paid attention. Along with hits to the head

I agree. I don't understand it at all.

Back