Alex Ovechkin’s Knockout Was So Impressive the UFC Commented on It

Ovechkin is A-Level

• Total voters
Not wanting to come across as ignorant, but why does hockey persist in entertaining a violence-based culture? In no way does that help the perspective of the sport, it comes across as amateurish and discreditable.
gay

It doesn’t.. they’ve been phasing fighting out of the game for the past few years if you actually paid attention. Along with hits to the head

I don’t follow hockey, so excuse my ignorance. It’s good to see them taking that approach.

19-Year-Old Russian Challenges Veteran Heavyweight; It Doesn't End Well

Alex Ovechkin is already considered of the greatest hockey players of all-time, but his brutal first-period knockout of Andrei Svechnikov was one of those rare highlights that transcended hockey.

Monday night, 21 minutes after Ovechkin’s do-si-do, the UFC — a multi-billion-dollar MMA enterprise — commented on Ovechkin’s fight on Twitter.

Svechnikov asked Ovechkin to fight despite giving up nearly 40 pounds to the Russian machine. Ovechkin landed three consecutive rights for, as the UFC calls it, the finish.

“You know what they say… ‘Precision beats power, and timing beats speed,'” the UFC said.

The quote is from the UFC’s former double champion, Conor McGregor.

--Russian Machine

Hockey is for pussies,

Rugby is where shit goes down with super heavies.

Fe1l8rC.gif

11e422aaf1f581823632af97457f1a85.gif

Tuilagi-punch.gif

davidferriol.gif

rugbypunch.gif

3bjo.gif

Last edited:
Hockey is for pussies,

Rugby is where shit goes down with super heavies.

Fe1l8rC.gif

11e422aaf1f581823632af97457f1a85.gif

IdleZanyBlackfish-small.gif
The second clip is a guy hitting a defenseless player and the third is a sucker punch. Not real tough guy stuff imo. Hockey at least cuts down on a lot of the cheap shots. When guys fight, they square off.

Lemieux and Orr clearly. Probably Phil Esposito, Crosby. Arguably or probably Howe, Richard, Coffey. Maybe Bourque, Yzerman, Jagr, Messier, Bossy, Denis Potvin...
Or like the entire generation of elite athletes that came before him. Pavel Bure, Sergei Fedorov, Teemu Salami...

Heavyweight lmao.

Yeah, Ovi is big, but he is not even a good fighter nor does he fight often. He's been in like 7 fights in his career.

Nice KO though.

I see a lot of people talking about Schenikov's age and size, but he's the one who challenged Ovi to a fight. It was a dumb move on his part.

People underestimate a guy like Ovi because he never fights, but he's still a 6'3" 240lb super athlete so he's going to be dangerous.

Actually this reminded me of Kovalchuk/Schenn back in 2012. Kovalchuk is another Russian goal scorer who never drops the gloves (but is 6'3" 220/230lbs), so 20 year old Brayden Schenn decides to try him and get's ragdolled and TKO'd quick.

Moral of the story is you gotta choose your battles wisely

Or like the entire generation of elite athletes that came before him. Pavel Bure, Sergei Fedorov, Teemu Salami...

Yeah, it's a shame Bure's knees fell apart so early. He and Mike Bossy would have put up some great career numbers if their bodies hadn't disintegrated.

I mean gretzky might be better but who else

Is this a joke?

There are like 25 players you could call better. Sidney Crosby has more career points than Ovechkin and has played like 150 fewer games. Not to mention Crosby is a great two way forward while Ovechkin floats in the circle waiting for one times.

Ovechkin may be the greatest goal scorer ever, but he is far behind guys like Howe, Lemieux, Crosby, Yzerman, Messier, Hull, etc. etc.

Price you pay for pissing the bigger guy off.

For my money Ovi is the greatest goal scorer of all time, and I've been a Blues fan for 30 years and watched Brett Hull score. A lot.

Pretty funny that hockey tries to pretend they don't want players fighting then promote a clip of a KO punch

Ovechkin may be the greatest goal scorer ever, but he is far behind guys like Howe, Lemieux, Crosby, Yzerman, Messier, Hull, etc. etc.

I wouldn't say "far" behind. Ovi is a legend, future HOFer and definitely deserves to be mentioned with all those guys.

Not wanting to come across as ignorant, but why does hockey persist in entertaining a violence-based culture? In no way does that help the perspective of the sport, it comes across as amateurish and discreditable.

The violence in hockey has dropped down substantially in the past 5 years. There is less fighting and hitting than ever before. If you watched hockey but in the late 80's to mid 90's you would have seen violence at its peak. Now hockey is a complete joke when it comes to violence.

It looked like the UFC tweet meant to say “one” of the greatest ever which would be accurate.

Last edited:
Back