Aldo is still the FW GOAT.

Yair was not in his prime back then and Zombie was a late replacement, thats the only reason he got a shot, and Volk finished both.
Doesn't really explain how he's better than Aldo. Aldo beat a prime version of KZ and beat twice the guy who dominated Yair. You know, Frankie Edgar. That guy. The lightweight champion who arguably never lost his belt and moved down in weight.

how was this ever a question?

Because you're on Sherdog where people can't remember anything that happened more than a week ago.

Heck, people were even saying Volk should have been #1 P4P because he LOST at a higher weight class.

Volk is the featherweight goat obviously. He’s beaten better competition, only one loss in the division, better skill set, beat him head to head. Old heads can say what they want

Inferior opponents?

Aldo beat prime Mendes x2, prime Frankie x2, prime Faber, prime Mike Brown.

The only suspect challenger in hindsight was Hominick.
Amazing how out of the people you could have named you included faber and Mike brown lol

faber who did his best work at bantamweight and brown who has 3 notable wins, faber, Leonard garcia, and then a decision over faber with two broken hands

Why is he casual. Everyone loves the old guard but its nostalgia. Mma is developing and improving all the time.

Definitely not at the rate most think. Quite a few divisions have clearly regressed too like LHW, MW and even WW for quite some time. He'll I'd even argue at the top level Flyweight has since the days of Cejudo, Mighty Mouse and Horiguchi even. Moreno and Pantoja aren't better. BW and FW have definitely improved but were in their infancy stages. Aldo was quite simply undeniable this isn't nostalgia, he was faster, hit insanely hard and also kicked insanely hard, impenetrable takedown defense and really developed boxing etc. Who has Topuria fought on prime Mendes or Prime Edgars level? Just Volk who's 35 and coming off a pretty violent knockout loss. Also there's a very measurable history of Topuria struggling with kicks and boy Aldo could kick. Dunno, I don't favor Topuria in this one.

Anyways I'm open to being proven wrong, if he faces Holloway or Evloev next it could tell us a lot more. I do think Topuria is one of the most gifted athletes in the UFC right now, Aldo is one of the most gifted athletes in MMA ever though.

That was one fight dude. Aldo is the FW GOAT and it has nothing to do with leg kicks. He could have stuck to punching and still beat Faber.
No he used to throw more than a couple kicks here and there. Dude either had a permanent injury or fell in love with his boxing.

No he used to throw more than a couple kicks here and there. Dude either had a permanent injury or fell in love with his boxing.
Din Thomas called it. Topuria nailed Volk with his chin up high. Aldo was the only mma fighter I saw who pivots effectively against an opponent when they charge. I think it was the same time he abandoned a heavy leg kick gameplan.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Win or lose Max has proven to be to most durable out of them all.. imho

he is da GOAT FW

Fighting so fluid. Still recall WEC Aldo. Guy was phenomenal and Max tooled him twice. Most accomplished for sure. His run was most accomplished, Alex might still be more impressive. Beating a prime Max three times is a true WTF.

Inferior opponents?

Aldo beat prime Mendes x2, prime Frankie x2, prime Faber, prime Mike Brown.

The only suspect challenger in hindsight was Hominick.
prime korean zombie before military service as well.

I dont get the people who say Volk's competition was better than Aldo's. His best title defense was Holloway, other than that Yair, Ortega, and a past his prime why did he get that ts Korean Zombie don't make Volk better than Aldo.

That's obvious, Volk resumé is weak just like this FW division.
The cicle how is "Tupuria will be the GOAT if he beats another olf mf in Max'?

Back