Alcoholics - Will I go through serious withdrawal if I quit?

That's good news. Are the people have get DTs and seizure typically those people that are consistently drunk like 24/7 then try to quit? I can go a day, I just get cravings for it. I don't have any physical issues. I haven't gone longer than a day for at least 4 months though.

I used to drink like that. Probably a good 12-pack a day of some shitty beer. I got wasted the night before leaving for boot-camp and I didn't have any issues going cold turkey. Of course they kind of keep you occupied in boot camp so you don't have much time to think about drinking.

As far as worrying about withdrawls I think that's more likely to happen with people that are downing a 5th of bourbon every day. 4-12 drinks a day isn't coming anywhere close to that. Not to say you shouldn't think about slowing your roll a little bit but it doesn't sound like you're a dysfunctional alcoholic.

Just try to make sure you have some kind of distractions to keep your mind off of it. Bring a book to read or something like that so your brain doesn't have much down time to think "I need a drink."

Your biggest problem will likely be getting a good nights sleep the first couple of nights. But, once you don't drink for a few days the clarity will seem like a high in and of itself.

Ninja,
I'm replying from work, from my work computer (which I never log into Sherdog from), b/c I'm worried about you bro. Where's work? The VA hospital. I work on the acute psych ward (yes I'm a doc), and I've detoxed literally thousands of cases in my career. And, yes, I've seen plenty of patients die from alcholosism (not pretty). DTs can be serious, and even fatal, so lemme try to get some facts to you so you can hopefully make a healthy decision about this vacation time.

Ok, you've got a lot going on obviously. But, 1st things 1st...
I'm assuming you mean regular beers and not 40 oz, or higher gravity styles. One 12 oz regular beer is 1 unit of alcohol. Lots of functinal alcoholics get by daily on what you intake or more w/out risk of DTs from going cold turkey. However, that depends on your age, history, other meds, and overall health status. You say you have health issues - well, that could make things worse, esp if it's your liver. What concerns me (and made me immediately log in to respond) is that you have the morning shakes. That's not a good sign, Ninja. That's the 1st sign. Full DTs begin around 48-72 hrs after stopping alcohol. After tremors, you'll probably have sweats and nausea. None of this will kill you, but just be uncomfortable. Ok, here's where you need to be careful, and I'd talk to your wife about this to help look after you. If you feel like your heart rate is going real fast - go to the hospital immediately. If you start seeing shit that's not real - that's alcoholic hallucinosis - go to the hospital immediately. If you start acting strange and out of it (your family/wife would hopefully be aware of this) - that's an acute mental status change - go to the ER immediately.
One last thing: google "CAGE questionaire" That's basically the quickie diagnostic screen the doc would do to see if you meet criteria for alcohol dependence. Be honest w/ yourself - that's the first step. Good luck, man.

Where's Terror Zone? He could probably tell you considering his whole thread on quitting alcohol.

Ninja,
I'm replying from work, from my work computer (which I never log into Sherdog from), b/c I'm worried about you bro. Where's work? The VA hospital. I work on the acute psych ward (yes I'm a doc), and I've detoxed literally thousands of cases in my career. And, yes, I've seen plenty of patients die from alcholosism (not pretty). DTs can be serious, and even fatal, so lemme try to get some facts to you so you can hopefully make a healthy decision about this vacation time.

Ok, you've got a lot going on obviously. But, 1st things 1st...
I'm assuming you mean regular beers and not 40 oz, or higher gravity styles. One 12 oz regular beer is 1 unit of alcohol. Lots of functinal alcoholics get by daily on what you intake or more w/out risk of DTs from going cold turkey. However, that depends on your age, history, other meds, and overall health status. You say you have health issues - well, that could make things worse, esp if it's your liver. What concerns me (and made me immediately log in to respond) is that you have the morning shakes. That's not a good sign, Ninja. That's the 1st sign. Full DTs begin around 48-72 hrs after stopping alcohol. After tremors, you'll probably have sweats and nausea. None of this will kill you, but just be uncomfortable. Ok, here's where you need to be careful, and I'd talk to your wife about this to help look after you. If you feel like your heart rate is going real fast - go to the hospital immediately. If you start seeing shit that's not real - that's alcoholic hallucinosis - go to the hospital immediately. If you start acting strange and out of it (your family/wife would hopefully be aware of this) - that's an acute mental status change - go to the ER immediately.
One last thing: google "CAGE questionaire" That's basically the quickie diagnostic screen the doc would do to see if you meet criteria for alcohol dependence. Be honest w/ yourself - that's the first step. Good luck, man.

Thanks. I really appreciate the response. As far as "drinks". I drink vodka almost exclusively. I'm probably closer to 6-8 drinks a day between 4pm and 10pm.....some days I do a little less, some days go overboard into the 12 range. I'm 35 year old and not overweight, but not currently in shape cardio-wise. I don't take any other meds.

I'll keep an eye out for these major signs. About the shakes. It's not every morning or anything. It's usually after a 10-12 drink night, not a 6-8 drink night. I feel some symptoms now but partially b/c I'm getting paranoid/anxious about it and partly b/c I'm hungover.

Well, what do you consider a drink? Is a drink 2 shots of Vodka and mix??

So I'm going on vacation and won't be drinking for 10 days. Other the past 3-4 months I've probably drank 4-12 drinks a day, every day. In the past I binge drank usually only on weekends and maybe once during the week...like black out binge drinking.
Now, like I said, I'm going to go on a family vacation and am very worried I'll suffer severe withdrawal symptons, DTs, or seizures.

Does my past and current drinking history seems like something that is going to cause me major problems in the next 10 days?

Yeah... in all honesty, it's going to suck. Another poster said 4-12 aint too bad but I can say that I personally get the shakes on Monday morning after a Friday, Saturday, Sunday drink-a-thon.

You'll probably be bored as shit more than anything else.

My advice is to hit the gym every day possible and sweat a lot.

Well, what do you consider a drink? Is a drink 2 shots of Vodka and mix??

I'd probably say 1 shot is a "drink" or a "unit". Sadly, a lot of it isn't even a "drink". I just drink vodka right from the bottle. It can be a little harsh if it hits your throat wrong, but it's not as bad as people say or think.

Wtf is up with your family? And your wife? Checking the receipts the second you get home from the store?

No wonder you drink man....

Dude at this point I think you need to go a bit deeper about your life and drinking.

You've piqued some interest

I'd probably say 1 shot is a "drink" or a "unit". Sadly, a lot of it isn't even a "drink". I just drink vodka right from the bottle. It can be a little harsh if it hits your throat wrong, but it's not as bad as people say or think.

I suggest not going cold turkey then. Try and get through your vacation while sneaking drinks etc and starting to ween yourself off... After your vacation you should seriously consider cutting back.

Wtf is up with your family? And your wife? Checking the receipts the second you get home from the store?

No wonder you drink man....

lol - ya seriously. I just got a call where I got bitched at for 3 minutes then was given a "to do" list of 5 things that have to be done asap apparently. Makes me want to drink :) But I'm serious about cutting back on frequency and amount. My first step is just to make sure I don't die or have major withdrawal issues for the next 10 days while on vacation.

I think the fact that I'll be in a different environment, different time zone, around different people, etc. will make it easier actually. It'll get me out of my normal routine. I'm not even too worried about cravings as I can mentally deal with them if I have too, I'm just worried about physical/medical issues.

i have the exact opposite problem. i dont drink and my whole family does. they think im wierd and that something is wrong with me.

But no you will not have withdrals. Like others have said you might be a little irritable maybe some small headaches.You would need to drink heavily for a few years to have withdrals i believe.

lol - ya seriously. I just got a call where I got bitched at for 3 minutes then was given a "to do" list of 5 things that have to be done asap apparently. Makes me want to drink :) But I'm serious about cutting back on frequency and amount. My first step is just to make sure I don't die or have major withdrawal issues for the next 10 days while on vacation.

I think the fact that I'll be in a different environment, different time zone, around different people, etc. will make it easier actually. It'll get me out of my normal routine. I'm not even too worried about cravings as I can mentally deal with them if I have too, I'm just worried about physical/medical issues.

Oh....

So she is the reason you drink so much

I don't drink during the day usually. I usually start around 4:30 and basically binge drink until 9:30ish, when I switch to water to try and avoid hangover.

What is the reason for this? What past problems are causing you to do this to your body and health?

OP, you'll be fine. I really don't know why everyone thinks life threatening withdrawals are the norm after several month benders. At my worst, I went more than 3 months where I drank at least a bottle every day, 20-30 beers or several bottles of bum wine depending on what I felt like drinking. That was my minimum, a lot of times I ended up drinking more. I quit that cold turkey without anything more than a terrible feeling of anxiety, trouble sleeping and having the shakes for a bit.

You won't have fun though, during this time I went to dinner with my sober cousin and his friends once and I wanted to make a good impression because he was going to put in a good word for me for a job. At one point, I had to walk to the bathroom to start crying because I couldn't get a drink until after the meal was over and we had gone our seperate ways. In retrospect, I would've looked better had I just shown up with a few drinks in me.

If you're really worried, get a Xanax scrip to ease the 'on edge' feeling you're going to have and help you sleep. Toss it after the vacation though as you don't want to trade one problem for another (little known fact, alcohol and benzo withdrawals are the only two that can actually kill you). If you just want to get through the vacation, I used to regularly hit the store and then fill an empty water bottle with vodka before doing things with my family. They never had a clue and they all come from alcoholic families so they would've known if I hadn't been discrete about it.

Where's Terror Zone? He could probably tell you considering his whole thread on quitting alcohol.

My quitting alcohol thread that culminated in me getting a DUI. :redface:

I have been sober and training every day for more than 2 weeks now though, sucks it took a DUI to make that happen.

Last edited:
What is the reason for this? What past problems are causing you to do this to your body and health?

What are you escaping from that causes you to drink daily?

Those are the questions I have to answer and figure out I guess. I started drinking in college b/c it was fun. Me and my buddies have a ton of awesome stories, usually around booze....typically stupid college stuff. Then I drank in social situations b/c it loosened me up, made me more social, more confident, etc. Now it's more to escape stress, depression, boredom, complaining family members, etc. I still find it fun and I feel more confident when I have 3-4 drinks, but too often it turns into 8+ and times of blackouts. It's time to cut back and get under control again.

Back