Alcoholics - Will I go through serious withdrawal if I quit?

TheNinja

Steel Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I'm going on vacation and won't be drinking for 10 days. Other the past 3-4 months I've probably drank 4-12 drinks a day, every day. In the past I binge drank usually only on weekends and maybe once during the week...like black out binge drinking.
Now, like I said, I'm going to go on a family vacation and am very worried I'll suffer severe withdrawal symptons, DTs, or seizures.

Does my past and current drinking history seems like something that is going to cause me major problems in the next 10 days?

edit update 12/28 @ 9am
Yesterday wasn't too bad. I'm actually getting a cold, which certainly doesn't help matters. I had probably 1.5 units around 4:30pm. It was a little rough until around 10pm. Usually from 4-10 is my highest blood alcohol content as I usually pound 6 shots around 4:30 then take a few more throughout the night. My body didn't know what to do without it...heh. I was cranky, anxious, cold sweaty, and nauseous (couldn't really eat much food), but didn't feel anything serious or life threatening.
Today I'll have like 3/4 unit of vodka and call it good. I feel OK this morning, not great but some is lack of sleep (got to bed too late) and this chest cold coming on. It kind of feels like I have a small hangover. I'm WAY better than yesterday morning though. I was having serious panic/anxiety/shakes/confusion yesterday.
Would you assume the worst is over as long as I stay away from the sauce? I can say the worst part now is the craving, which is more mental than physical I think.

Last edited:
You better be ready to sweat. 4-12 aint bad though. Might get grumpy.

Just drink on vacation Problem solved

I don't drink during the day usually. I usually start around 4:30 and basically binge drink until 9:30ish, when I switch to water to try and avoid hangover.

So I'm going on vacation and won't be drinking for 10 days. Other the past 3-4 months I've probably drank 4-12 drinks a day, every day. In the past I binge drank usually only on weekends and maybe once during the week...like black out binge drinking.
Now, like I said, I'm going to go on a family vacation and am very worried I'll suffer severe withdrawal symptons, DTs, or seizures.

Does my past and current drinking history seems like something that is going to cause me major problems in the next 10 days?

So you cant drink on vacation. Why?

Why do you drink so much and why don't you try to stop?

Giving up drinking is the easiest thing to do TS. Quitting smoking and not fapping are harder.

The problem is not the 10 day vacation . . .

You'll most likely be fine.

Why no drinking on vacation?

Sounds like a shitty vacation

So you cant drink on vacation. Why?

Why do you drink so much and why don't you try to stop?

I drink so much b/c of various reasons....it didn't start with this much believe me. It's a slipperly slope. I try to stop but it's a love/hate thing. I love to drink but hate it too. I would like to stop though.

You'll most likely be fine.

Why no drinking on vacation?

Sounds like a shitty vacation

I can't drink b/c I'll be staying with my parents and my in-laws. We might share a bottle of wine 1 night at each place. But 1 drink per every 5 days is a far cry from my past 3-4 month consumption.

Id look at this as a good start to slowing down your drinking or quitting all together.

I drink so much b/c of various reasons....it didn't start with this much believe me. It's a slipperly slope. I try to stop but it's a love/hate thing. I love to drink but hate it too. I would like to stop though.

I can't drink b/c I'll be staying with my parents and my in-laws. We might share a bottle of wine 1 night at each place. But 1 drink per every 5 days is a far cry from my past 3-4 month consumption.

Are they against you drinking?

Are you married? Does she like the sauce as much as you

A guy I know recently had a seizure because of alcohol and benzodiazepine withdrawal. I don't know how much he drank every night but I would guess that he drank a similar amount as you. Assuming you're not taking the benzo you'll probably do fine, but I am not a doctor so take this all as a grain of salt.

Yeah, when you describe your drinking as "binge", it's time to slow it down. No adult should binge drink ever. You're a grown up.

youll be fine i went from drinking a lot to not at all just on a whim and never felt a single thing... other than much better most mornings... You dont really drink enough for your body to need it.

Why do you not want to drink a lil in front of your parents ? Do you feel you can't control yourself, or is it an image issue that they don't agree with ?

If you're ok with drinking 4 drinks, you'd probably be ok with 2. Why not just have 2 drinks during the day, like a glass of wine during dinner and a beer later in the evening. I'm sure that won't look sketchy

It's not hard to slip a few drinks in on the sly . . . Not getting wasted, hit buzzed is easy. Unless you're driving lots, then it shouldn't be difficult at all.

Yes. You will have cold sweats and feel like shit for your entire vacation.. I suggest continuing to drink or sneak drinks in from time to time.

Back