Alcoholics - Will I go through serious withdrawal if I quit?

I don't think you drink heavily enough, but if you are an alcoholic and you go cold turkey you can have a stroke or seizure and die.

It's the main drug that has strong enough withdrawl symptoms to kill you (not heroin and all that other whiney stuff).

Alcoholics have to ween off slowly. I am not making this up.

All you read was the op

I don't think you drink heavily enough, but if you are an alcoholic and you go cold turkey you can have a stroke or seizure and die.

It's the main drug that has strong enough withdrawl symptoms to kill you (not heroin and all that other whiney stuff).

Alcoholics have to ween off slowly. I am not making this up.
Not true at all. Both Barbiturates and Benzos also if abused and stopped cold turkey can kill you just as Alcohol withdrawal can. The seizures from Benzos are horrific. Was at friends house when he ended up having one and damn was it scary. Had to be taken to the ER by ambulance. Lucky he is still alive and yeah he still uses Benzos even though he nearly died.

I myself never was a fan of them or Barbiturates and never had much of an alcohol problem. However I was for a long time a major opiate fiend and Heroin user. I ruined the majority of 20's fucking up my life. Anyone who does drugs I highly suggest you steer clear of IV use. The first time I ever did Intravenous drugs was when someone injected me with Heroin and the rush was out of this world. That right there began the downfall.

I can say now though two years without Heroin and I'm happy as fuck. I do however partake in the use of Psychedelics (DMT, LSD. Shrooms, Mescaline and so forth) on occasion. Never had a problem with them

He does that in multiple threads. Plus I just think he's an overall shitty poster. I hate those wasteful "omg which fictional character would win in a fight?!?!?" threads. They should be in the wasteland, not Mayberry.

I've never noticed him being a dick but I'm not a fan of the fantasy matchup threads either.

I could have him mistaken for someone else, but I feel like he was the same guy trolling the other thread about alcoholics. If he isn't, then an apology is likely in order. I'll try to remember to find out when the search function is back.

The best thing for heroin users is a little bit more than they can handle.

All you read was the op

Kind of, the op caught my eye and I read the first page, then saw there were at least 11 more.
Thought it worth saying anyway that abrupt stoppage of alcohol in an alcoholic is very dangerous.

Not true at all. Both Barbiturates and Benzos also if abused and stopped cold turkey can kill you just as Alcohol withdrawal can. The seizures from Benzos are horrific. Was at friends house when he ended up having one and damn was it scary. Had to be taken to the ER by ambulance. Lucky he is still alive and yeah he still uses Benzos even though he nearly died.

I myself never was a fan of them or Barbiturates and never had much of an alcohol problem. However I was for a long time a major opiate fiend and Heroin user. I ruined the majority of 20's fucking up my life. Anyone who does drugs I highly suggest you steer clear of IV use. The first time I ever did Intravenous drugs was when someone injected me with Heroin and the rush was out of this world. That right there began the downfall.

I can say now though two years without Heroin and I'm happy as fuck. I do however partake in the use of Psychedelics (DMT, LSD. Shrooms, Mescaline and so forth) on occasion. Never had a problem with them

This man knows what he's talking about. Benzos and alcohol are the only two drugs where the withdrawals can actually straight up kill you. Benzo withdrawals, in my opinion, are worse than alcohol withdrawals. I had to go through them, cold turkey, and I should have died on multiple occasions(seriously). I wouldn't wish that shit on my worst enemy.

You get 1000x more paranoid than you could ever imagine(I was looking out the window at EVERY car that passed by), you can't stop shaking, sweating, diarrhea, seizures, loss of appetite, random muscle twitches, can't sleep, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Ask anyone who has done heroin/meth/coke/benzos/alcohol which drug is the hardest to get off of and stay off of, and I guarantee every single one of them will tell you benzos. I've been clean for years, and I'm still not the same person that I used to be; I probably never will be. Fucking pharmaceuticals, man.

I could have him mistaken for someone else, but I feel like he was the same guy trolling the other thread about alcoholics. If he isn't, then an apology is likely in order. I'll try to remember to find out when the search function is back.

He is the same guy.

If you're interested in this topic, the previous pages are worth viewing. Charles Brown posted some superb links, and there's some helpful comments and informative posts in this thread.

Regarding benzos, barbituates, and alcohol:

1st, pathopysiology - All these drugs act on the GABA receptor. GABA as a neurotransmitter functions as the brakes, slowing things down, in your central nervous system (CNS). That's why all these drugs are CNS depressants. And why, coming off of them, the withdrawal syndrome is secondary to an overly excited CNS -seizures, etc.

2nd, pharmacodynamics (or how a drug works, what it does at a given receptor site) - Benzos, barbituates, and alcohol all act at different subunits of the GABA receptor. Benzos basically make it easier for your own GABA neurotransmitters to attach to GABA receptors (process is called allosteric modulation). Meanwhile, barbituates make the GABA recpeptor more sensitive for a longer duration. It's kinda like frequency vs amplitude. Anyways, this is the reason why combining these drugs is so potentially fatal - there are synergistic effects from combining different GABA actions. You can't truly OD and die from benzos alone, but combine w/ alcohol...

3rd, pharmacokinetics (or how a drug is processed in, then out of your body) - Main thing here is half-life, or how long it takes your body to excrete out 1/2 of the total amount of drug you absorbed. For example, with benzos, Xanax (alprazolam) has a short-ish half life of about 12 hrs. Valium (diazepam), Klonopin (clonazepam), and Librium (chlordiazepoxide) all have much longer half-lives. Valium's is like 100 hrs. So, Xanax withdrawal is way worse than that w/ Klonopin, b/c it leaves your system so much more quickly. This is also why we use Librium to detox off alcohol, so you don't get like intermediate withdrawal symptoms in-between dosing. And to detox off benzos, we just convert your total mg Xanax use into clonazepam or diazepam equivalents. The long half-life lets the drug kinda taper itself, so it's much more tolerable coming off.
That being said - benzo addiction is the most difficult to treat. Opiate withdrawals feel the worst. But in terms of trying to keep an addict clean, benzos are the worst.

Last edited:
And for the TS - he may still be on vacation and away from a computer, or has relapsed and is ashamed. Or some combination.

If it's the later, TS, don't get too down on yourself. Falling down, relapse, dissapointments, etc are all a part of the recovery process. If it was easy, this would all be a moot topic. The cliche "one day at a time" is the operative phrase here. And it's crucial to find a healthy support network and a trusted sponsor, so you're not struggling with sobriety alone.

Sherdog can be a place, hopefully, of encouragement for you. This shouldn't be and isn't really a troll-worthy thread.

Hang in there, Ninja

This man knows what he's talking about. Benzos and alcohol are the only two drugs where the withdrawals can actually straight up kill you. Benzo withdrawals, in my opinion, are worse than alcohol withdrawals. I had to go through them, cold turkey, and I should have died on multiple occasions(seriously). I wouldn't wish that shit on my worst enemy.

You get 1000x more paranoid than you could ever imagine(I was looking out the window at EVERY car that passed by), you can't stop shaking, sweating, diarrhea, seizures, loss of appetite, random muscle twitches, can't sleep, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Ask anyone who has done heroin/meth/coke/benzos/alcohol which drug is the hardest to get off of and stay off of, and I guarantee every single one of them will tell you benzos. I've been clean for years, and I'm still not the same person that I used to be; I probably never will be. Fucking pharmaceuticals, man.
The Pharm industry though that Benzos would be a safer less addictive alternative to Barbs and man were they wrong lol

The Pharm industry though that Benzos would be a safer less addictive alternative to Barbs and man were they wrong lol

Well, benzos ARE safer than barbituates. Especially in terms of risk from an OD. That is why barbituates are almost never used clinically anymore (except for some Rx's for migraines that have a barbituate along w/ a couple other meds together). But, like you said, there's no difference at all w/ addiction potential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back