Agree or Disagree: Reyes is more of a threat to Jones than Cormier was.

Agreed for one reason alone; DC's biggest strength (wrestling) was nullfied by Jones, forcing him into the standup. While DC's standup is respectable, it's nothing to rant about. Reyes wants the fight standing anyway, and he's a better all round striker than DC. His physical stature is more of a threat to Jon in the standup as well.

Based on styles, Reyes is arguably the bigger threat even though DC is a more complete and generally better fighter.

Lol, no. Reyes is a can compared to Daniel. You only say this because Cormier fights are seen history.

Lol this is ridiculous he has no chance and this will be Jons easiest fight

People are all over the place with this. Right here right now yes reyes is definitely a dangerous fight than DC. DC is on the verge of retirement from age and mileage.

Point and time are the biggest factor. Yes DC has insane accomplishments in mma but when he fought jones he fought a younger more athletic man. A man the was in peak form. Hard to say really if DC was ever really in peak form in mma. By the time he was making waves he was heading towards middle age. The size and athleticism of jon played huge parts in both fights. DC fought and beat huge men but much slower older guys.

In the case of Reyes although not much younger than jon he has significantly less wear and tear. Jon is 10+ years of fighting and a lot of 5 rd fights. He won't be the more athletic of the two tonight nor will he hold a big size advantage. Reyes is definitely the least skilled of the 3 but he's going in hungry and possibly at the top of his game.

I learned a long time ago to stop waiting on jon to lose and I don't expect dom to win but I think he definitely makes a scrap out of it

Just saying DC is the better fight between the two. Hence DC being the bigger threat to Jones..

You'll see after tonight..

Agreed. That doesn't change the fact that I think DC is/was the bigger threat to Jon..

I think a lot of Jon haters are just hoping Reyes can pull it off. It happens every time Jon fights..
I'm not picking against Jones nor am I a hater. You are here on this site a lot and you've never seen me shit on Jon. I just personally never saw Cormier as a real threat against Jon. As great as Cormier is I never could look past his age and physical disadvantages against Jones. Not to mention the fact that he was a wrestler and no one had come close to being competitive with Jon using offensive wrestling.

Reyes on the other hand doesn't have much of the physical disadvantages and he is younger. Also just like Gus, Reyes biggest strength are in areas that Jon isn't the strongest imo. And that's his hands.

Just imagine what Jones would do to Oezdemir.

I'm not picking against Jones nor am I a hater. You are here on this site a lot and you've never seen me shit on Jon. I just personally never saw Cormier as a real threat against Jon. As great as Cormier is I never could look past his age and physical disadvantages against Jones. Not to mention the fact that he was a wrestler and no one had come close to being competitive with Jon using offensive wrestling.

Reyes on the other hand doesn't have much of the physical disadvantages and he is younger. Also just like Gus, Reyes biggest strength are in areas that Jon isn't the strongest imo. And that's his hands.
I see what you're saying but I think you're basing a lot of this on hindsight. You've already seen Jon/DC whereas the Reyes fight is still unknown..

I personally think Jon finishes Reyes and makes it look pretty easy. Time will tell...

[disclaimer] I've been wrong many times before, but I feel pretty confident in this one..

I only have seen one fight from him. The Volkan fight and he was awful in that fight. Lost the first 2 rounds IMO. Was backing up and not landing. I think Jones better come forward and grapple. Otherwise this is going to be a snooze fest. From what I saw Reyes is not going to attack. He wants Jones to come to him.

I don't know if he's more of a threat, but I think he's going to win. Jones looks like he's on a clear decline now. So while DC may have been a bigger threat, I think Jones isn't as good as he was back then

Yes cause Cormier could go five rounds. Jones outworked him but if Reyes puts even half the pressure that DC did, he'll gas out in a round. Hell even when DC almost got the takedown in the fifth round, my friends were saying that DC would win the round given how amazing he was at wresting. DC could somewhat match Jones in everything, the striking, wrestling and the clinch (his transitions were beautiful in the first fight) Reyes has a puncher chance and I can say with almost certainty, he cannot hang with Jones on the ground and the clinch like DC could.

I only have seen one fight from him. The Volkan fight and he was awful in that fight. Lost the first 2 rounds IMO. Was backing up and not landing. I think Jones better come forward and grapple. Otherwise this is going to be a snooze fest. From what I saw Reyes is not going to attack. He wants Jones to come to him.
Exactly, Reyes will look to counter and Jones ain't playing that game. He'll have fun picking Reyes apart with kicks and then take him down to beat the fuck out of him if he gets wild.

Would you pick Reyes to beat DC if they ever fought?...I wouldn't..

I'm gonna have to ponder on this question for a bit...
tenor.gif

No. They just have different skillsets, don't get it twisted.

Reyes is a weaker grappler than Cormier and Jones will showcase it if he fights intelligently, which he generally does.

Reyes is a tall, crisp striker. Takes and hits you from awkward good angles, throws good combinations, and has power and length. Also the man is young, in his physical prime. Reyes is just relatively unknown and doesn't have big names on his record.

Cormier is a short wrestler with decent power and striking. Nothing scary. Close to 10 years the senior of Jones. We learned very early in Jon's career that wrestlers were no match for him. What hyped their fights was the bad blood and their respective resumes.

Guess it all depends on how his defensive wrestling holds up.

Revisionist history at its finest. I don't like the guy, but DC is a scary fighter who's demolished everyone in front of him not names Jones or Stipe (and even got the latter once). You say the DC/Jones fights were interesting because they were hyped, but the same is absolutely true here with Reyes. Once Jones dominates Reyes, everyone will be saying after the fight how he was never that good, how it was too early for him to have been pushed into a championship fight, and all that. Everyone seems like they have the tools to give Jones a hard time until the fight actually happens.

In MMA Style makes fights. Match ups in MMA isn't as straight forward as some liner equation.

For example take Petits-RDA & Chiesa. RDA crushed Petits couldn't do anything against Chiesa while Petits obliterated Chiesa.

You can see the same stylistic aspect in match ups in other sports too,

For example take Football, Where Gegenpress beats Tiki-taka but useless against park the bus. While Tiki taka is the perfect style for breaking up a bus parking defense.,

5 years ago & different weight classes

wow.

lol@Video games

no but I may change my mind tonight

Totally disagree. Reyes is so raw and unproven and hasn't beat anyone in top 5 LHW. Nowhere near Cormiers level

Styles make fights, and reach is a big factor in Jon Jones's style. I feel Reyes is a worse matchup for Jones than DC. But on the flip side I think Reyes would struggle with DC.

Reyes is a tall, crisp striker. Takes and hits you from awkward good angles, throws good combinations, and has power and length. Also the man is young, in his physical prime. Reyes is just relatively unknown and doesn't have big names on his record.

Cormier is a short wrestler with decent power and striking. Nothing scary. Close to 10 years the senior of Jones. We learned very early in Jon's career that wrestlers were no match for him. What hyped their fights was the bad blood and their respective resumes.

Guess it all depends on how his defensive wrestling holds up.
Agree, Reyes by TKO. I put money down!

Back