Aging bodybuilders

Just ignore Bort. He's corny anyway.

I never said that someone who has tons of muscle and gases running was good shape. Clearly if you're going to consider yourself in good shape you also need to increase the volume of blood your heart can pump - this means running. There's no reason someone with good conditioning wouldn't be perfectly healthy at 230lbs of lean body mass.

I used to be an endurance athlete before I started lifting. I'm just as lean now as I was but 45lbs heavier. At this weight, no matter how hard I train my cardio, my times will never be as good as they were. See, that's the practical limitation of the body when it comes to cardiovascular endurance. The skeletal muscles can get many times bigger and many more times stronger, not the heart (nor your VO2max). See, this disparity in potential between the systems is the reason why people's heart cannot adapt forever with increased body mass no matter how hard they train.

So I think within limits, your cardio can reasonably keep up with your weight but beyond a certain point, there will be a gradual decline. I am experiencing reduced cardio performance at 45lbs over, so 100lbs over is certainly too much. But "too much" is again subjective because what people consider "in shape" varies. A lot people would be just fine if they can not complete a marathon but can be just fine doing daily tasks. I guess my personal definition would be to be in good enough shape not to die early :)

Holy crap, how did I miss this gem all afternoon!

I used to be an endurance athlete before I started lifting. I'm just as lean now as I was but 45lbs heavier. At this weight, no matter how hard I train my cardio, my times will never be as good as they were. See, that's the practical limitation of the body when it comes to cardiovascular endurance. The skeletal muscles can get many times bigger and many more times stronger, not the heart (nor your VO2max). See, this disparity in potential between the systems is the reason why people's heart cannot adapt forever with increased body mass no matter how hard they train.

So I think within limits, your cardio can reasonably keep up with your weight but beyond a certain point, there will be a gradual decline. I am experiencing reduced cardio performance at 45lbs over, so 100lbs over is certainly too much. But "too much" is again subjective because what people consider "in shape" varies. A lot people would be just fine if they can not complete a marathon but can be just fine doing daily tasks. I guess my personal definition would be to be in good enough shape not to die early :)

good post.
you should start a thread with this one

Im sick and tired of people who find amusement in insulting others by harsh words online and the fact that he is mod makes it any worst.
he should show a bit more style.

No I mean you and dfoster

Thanks but I think I'll wait till Big Brother passes me by :)

I realy think that that particular post is a good starter cos you explain very well why it can be "too much muscle" - people just dont belive it. Next question is how to know when are we over the hill by muscle development? IMO the worst things are pure body building and isolation exercises + supplements - all designed to build muscle mass quickly.
Cos while 100 of pounds are hardly absorbed by anyone, it is possible that putting some reasonable muscle mass can be absorbed but if it happens over the course of time. Putting 20 pounds of muscle mass in 2 months can not be good, heart has no chance to addapt even in those limits it could eventually.

I realy think that that particular post is a good starter cos you explain very well why it can be "too much muscle" - people just dont belive it. Next question is how to know when are we over the hill by muscle development? IMO the worst things are pure body building and isolation exercises + supplements - all designed to build muscle mass quickly.
Cos while 100 of pounds are hardly absorbed by anyone, it is possible that putting some reasonable muscle mass can be absorbed but if it happens over the course of time. Putting 20 pounds of muscle mass in 2 months can not be good, heart has no chance to addapt even in those limits it could eventually.

There is no way in hell you could 20 pounds in two months...so you don't have anything to worry about.

Seriously, it seems like people think it's no small feat to walk around at 280 pounds and 5 % bodyfat.

It won't happen by accident...I promise you that.

There is no way in hell you could 20 pounds in two months...so you don't have anything to worry about.

Seriously, it seems like people think it's no small feat to walk around at 280 pounds and 5 % bodyfat.

It won't happen by accident...I promise you that.

you can go to testosteronenation site right now and read article on how to put 5 pounds in just 1 day. of course it is impossible but point is if they could do it they would certainly do it.

while I dont want you to take me too seriously on the numbers I wrote (it was just an example) we can certainly agree that people inspired by BodyB tend to put on too much mass too quickly, for their own good.

My bodyfat was measured at 14 by a gym trainer with calipers....it was like 15-18 in various sections of the body...I had the same test this year and it was 5,5,8 ...I am 6'0 with 215 bw....

I am pretty sure if I didnt lift weights I would have been 150-160 lb with high bf....I am a naturally skinny guy...my dad was rail thin when he was my age...as was my uncle, grandpa, etc...

I completely agree about overall fitness ...that's why I started working on my weaknesses....it's good not only for overall health but also for improving performance...it's often much easier to improve overall performance by working weaknesses rather than strengths...conditioning, flexibility, agility, balance , etc will have as much if not more impact down the road for being healthy, staying active, and being able to function in day to day life for us as we age....

I am shocked barut has been this civil.....rip their hearts out and eat them....do it...do it now....

My bodyfat was measured at 14 by a gym trainer with calipers....it was like 15-18 in various sections of the body...I had the same test this year and it was 5,5,8 ...I am 6'0 with 215 bw....

I am pretty sure if I didnt lift weights I would have been 150-160 lb with high bf....I am a naturally skinny guy...my dad was rail thin when he was my age...as was my uncle, grandpa, etc...

I completely agree about overall fitness ...that's why I started working on my weaknesses....it's good not only for overall health but also for improving performance...it's often much easier to improve overall performance by working weaknesses rather than strengths...conditioning, flexibility, agility, balance , etc will have as much if not more impact down the road for being healthy, staying active, and being able to function in day to day life for us as we age....

I am shocked barut has been this civil.....rip their hearts out and eat them....do it...do it now....

such a touchy story...

Your heart is in serious danger man.

I thought the Mentzer brothers were coke addicts and smoked a lot of meth?

touching* story?...not supposed to be....I am not anne frank....I just fucking told you my story as a counterexample to a lot of what was said.

my observations for why people dont succeed:

1. no intensity....they train like a bunch of pussies.....either the loads are way too low or volume/frequency is way too low...99% of people out there

2. no patience....people want results overnight....that shit aint happening unless you're one of the lucky 0.0000000001 and even then it's hard...

3. no direction/clue of what to do...pick something and stick with it.....if you bust your ass with one fucking thing you're more likely to get it than doing a million different routines and thinking that will get you everything...

4. no balance in training....however you decide to distribute the volume/intensity/frequency as well as the actual exercises...

5. eat like shit, dont eat enough shit, or actually eat shit......in any case....if you're a hardgainer it's because you eat like an anorexic 12 year old......if you're getting fat.....then stop eating fastfood and think about every fucking thing that enters your mouth...because I can bet half of it is pure shit...

6. Dont allow enough rest.....the harder you train the more rest you need....learn this fucking concept if you want to avoid injuries and make progress...

7. rely on supplements instead of hard work.....muscletech loves these type of idiots.....which is 99% of people out there....

8. become overly one dimensional....even if your tilt is bodybuilding ....make sure you're training other athletic qualities.... go beyond your sport/hobby/discipline to become successful long term...

9. no desire to educate onself....about the past/advancements/etc...

Barut I aint got a heart so you're good to go....

Sonny I wouldnt be surprised...uppers like coke/meth i heard were common...

my spam folder had 666 spam mails today....is it a sign of the end? i think so...

Can I add:

10. Consistency

How many guys do you see at the gym who are there every day for 2 weeks and then disappear for a month or two.

sonny...that's so funny....i meant to put that as #2 bullet point and forgot...well done sir...and I completely agree...I think intensity+consistancy were the two single greatest factors for me....

Back