Aging bodybuilders

dfoster

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anybody with first hand knowledge of what kind of health a former bodybuilder has in his 50's and 60's? I know Arnold had his heart operations but I guess it was mostly due to steroids.
I'm looking for some info on the effects of carrying around too much muscles for one's frame. I always thought it's a little too much if you were 160lbs in high school but now walk around at 260lbs. Lean or not, your heart, lungs and joints were not designed for that weight. Granted the older generations were not as big but they're now in their 60's so we can get some rough ideas. I know Arnold was not the first generation because he had "idols" - any info on how those guys are living?

I honestly don't know much about it, I don't follow bodybuilding really, but I'm assuming it would be hard to sift through facts with the prevalence of steroids in that sport. Also, this really isn't a body building site, so you might not get what you're looking for.

As long as you are somewhat lean and your medicals (blood lipids) etc. are ok, I would not sweat it. You'll probably lose weight in your 40s, 50s, 60s anyway if you are lean now. I know a couple of former high level powerlifters (super heavy weight) that are over 50 and used to be and still are clean and they are doing fine.

As long as you are somewhat lean and your medicals (blood lipids) etc. are ok, I would not sweat it. You'll probably lose weight in your 40s, 50s, 60s anyway if you are lean now. I know a couple of former high level powerlifters (super heavy weight) that are over 50 and used to be and still are clean and they are doing fine.

Do they have problems with their joints not associated with age? ie can they walk, jog without problems?

Do they have problems with their joints not associated with age? ie can they walk, jog without problems?

The ones I know still lift:

16.jpg

I would say that their fashion sense is what took a beating by aging, not their joints.

wow, he still looks huge AND lean for his age. That's good to know.

Why would strengthening your muscles and joints make it harder to walk or jog?

Why would strengthening your muscles and joints make it harder to walk or jog?

I'm talking about cases where you walk around 100 lbs heavier than guys your original size.

lol, did catch the line about their fashion sense. Must have been quite a scene in there with the speedo :icon_chee

I'm talking about cases where you walk around 100 lbs heavier than guys your original size.

So having 100 extra pounds of muscle and tendons to support your joints is supposed to cause problems?

So having 100 extra pounds of muscle and tendons to support your joints is supposed to cause problems?

Well, your joints have to support the muscles too, along with your heart having to pump more at rest and in daily tasks like walking up the stairs, ect..

Looking at the people I know that are over 65, I would say that for most of them a major issue is lack of muscle mass, not too much muscle mass.

Well, your joints have to support the muscles too, along with your heart having to pump more at rest and in daily tasks like walking up the stairs, ect..

I guarantee you that having 100 extra pounds of muscle would be a net positive in that regard.

As far as heart problems, as long as you can improve the volume of your heart beat you should be fine.

I know Arnold had his heart operations but I guess it was mostly due to steroids.

No, Arnold was born with a genetically abnormal aortic valve, and his father had to have the same surgery at the same age.

As for some old bodybuilders, check out Dave Draper at age 66:

300px-Dave_Draper_Body_Building.jpg

No, Arnold was born with a genetically abnormal aortic valve, and his father had to have the same surgery at the same age.

As for some old bodybuilders, check out Dave Draper at age 66:

300px-Dave_Draper_Body_Building.jpg

Didn't know that about Arnold's father. I know the Mentzer brothers' fatal heart condition was also said to be genetic, and the bunch of wrestlers who died of heart related matters... that was the reason for my doubts but it could be genetic in Arnold's case...

Dave Draper looks really good. I remember seeing his pictures along side Arnold back in the day. He's actually more cut than before.

It would be really hard to do a solid study on this as there are so many factors. I will say that the bodybuilders of the late 50's to early 70's era, ( ie, the ones who are not 60") and who are doing the best in terms of health/longevitiy had some things in common.

1. They pursued Physical Culture with bodybuilding being an important part of it, as opposed
to purusing just the "look" of bodybuilder

2. They continued to set goals, but they changed their goals to what would allow them
to train for the long term

3. They pursued athletic endeavors other than iron/workout stuff

4. They took their competitve energies and turned them into successful business ventures
etc.

5. They ate less and ate good food

6. They continued to train legs and back just about as hard as before

Older Bodybuilders who have "aged well"

Reg Park
John Grimek ( maybe the best example of all)
Bill Pearl
Larry Scott
Frank Zane
Clarence Ross
Tommy Kono
Boyer Coe

You are not going to put on 100 lbs of muscle without roids or gaining a significant amount of fat. I don't think worrying about putting on too much muscle for your health is a concern for most people.

You are not going to put on 100 lbs of muscle without roids or gaining a significant amount of fat. I don't think worrying about putting on too much muscle for your health is a concern for most people.

It depends on where you start and what your age is. 100lbs over a ten-fifteen year period is certainly doable if you start as a teen

Back