After watching JDS lose, I think fighting from his back was Silvas strategy vs Sonnen

There is a big difference between receiving GnP from Cain Velasquez and receiving GnP from Chael Sonnen.

Also, there is a big difference in Andersons BJJ game and JDS

Lol, nobody with the striking of Anderson is ever going to employ that strategy unless they have the BJJ of Werdum, Jacare, Maia or Roger. Even Jose Aldo, who supposedly has very high level BJJ, doesn't want to be taken down. The reason Werdum pulls guard or doesn't mind being on his back is because that's his strength. Not a lot of guys can avoid being submitted by him. Anyone who think Anderson wants to fight off of his back against anybody in the MW division is delusional.

cain-bigfoot-bloodbath.jpg

Gotta include this to the most powerful images of 2012

As mentioned although we didn't see it on Sat GnP from a Hw is gonna do more damage than GnP from a Mw

All I'm going to say about that is...Silva knew what he was doing...:cool:

iQDI80rHoW8OG.gif

Lol, nobody with the striking of Anderson is ever going to employ that strategy unless they have the BJJ of Werdum, Jacare, Maia or Roger. Even Jose Aldo, who supposedly has very high level BJJ, doesn't want to be taken down. The reason Werdum pulls guard or doesn't mind being on his back is because that's his strength. Not a lot of guys can avoid being submitted by him. Anyone who think Anderson wants to fight off of his back against anybody in the MW division is delusional.

Im not saying he wanted to fight of his back. Off course not. Im saying he knows how to pick his battles and realised fighting Sonnens take down attemps all day wasn't was energy wise. Survive this round to fight another round type of thing.

Chaels style is much more smothering with much less damage being inflicted, you relax on your back with Cain that'd be all she wrote

Chaels style is much more smothering with much less damage being inflicted, you relax on your back with Cain that'd be all she wrote

Hmm... not to sure about that.

Im going to find the Cain vs Congo fight and watch it again. Like I said earlier If I remember right Congo spent most of the fight on his back & if I my memory serves me right he was battered but not that bad & everytime they go to there feet he came close to putting Cain to sleep.

I'm sure JDS has a better guard then Congo and hits harder then Congo.

I don't think that's quite what the TS was saying.

More like Anderson was able to successfully implement a plan B, where as Dos Santos wasn't, because he was still trying plan A the whole fight despite it clearly not working. That's why Anderson has been champion for so long. Even when he had a bad night he still has a plan B which ends up with him going home with the belt.

Hmm... not to sure about that.

Im going to find the Cain vs Congo fight and watch it again. Like I said earlier If I remember right Congo spent most of the fight on his back & if I my memory serves me right he was battered but not that bad & everytime they go to there feet he came close to putting Cain to sleep.

I'm sure JDS has a better guard then Congo and hits harder then Congo.

Possibly but Cain may have improved a little since that fight.

Good thread.

During the first 2 minutes of the fight when JDS kept defending the take downs and jumping right back to his feet. I though Cain was done and it was just a matter of time until he got KO'ed.

I didn`t know that fighting take downs like that would drain a fighter that bad. I was suprised. Now I beleive that if JDS would have gone the Silva way and chosen to relax, take it easy, tred to fight off his back and try to capotilize with his jujitsu when he saw an oppening or capitalize everytime they found them selves on their feet again he would have won.

Look at Silva vs Sonnen, especially the first fight. A.Silva was the freshes of the 2 going into the 5th and he looked more confident then Sonnen did. Now I have a feeling Anderson could have fought off more of Sonnens take down attemps but he preffered not to because he would have exerted too much energy.

Anybody with me?

Agree. I made this comment before, I'm not sure how big of a role Anderson plays in JDS' camp but he could be a huge help vs Cain.

If you've ever wrestled, each time you try and get up your carrying the weight of your opponent in an anaerobic burst. In JDS' case he is trying to get up with 240lb on top of him; Fatiguing is no indicator of his gas tank, because your using a system with physiologically can only be sustained for 2 minutes before you get lactic.

The fact is, JDS will be taken down vs Cain -- Sure Cain's GnP is excellent but with the right BJJ you can tie them up and minimise the damage. For JDS he has to weigh up the pro's and con's.

A.) Drop your hands to stuff the takedowns eliminating your entire offence and being badly outstruck or

B) Accept that your going to be taken down, keep your hands up and hunt for the knockout with the confidence that when you hit the mat you can relax, work your BJJ, conserve energy and wait until you get back on your feet again where you will be back at an advantage.

Nope. Not at all. If that's the case why did Anderson fight the takedowns like mad in the 2nd fight?

I think he meant "not trying to get back up".

And despite the fact that I laugh at Anderson Silva fantards because of "he wanted to finish him on the ground so he LET himself get taken down durr hurr" it has always been an AS tactic to stall on the ground and force a standup rather than pop back up.

Back