After watching JDS lose, I think fighting from his back was Silvas strategy vs Sonnen

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Wellloved, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Wellloved

Wellloved White Belt

During the first 2 minutes of the fight when JDS kept defending the take downs and jumping right back to his feet. I though Cain was done and it was just a matter of time until he got KO'ed.

I didn`t know that fighting take downs like that would drain a fighter that bad. I was suprised. Now I beleive that if JDS would have gone the Silva way and chosen to relax, take it easy, tred to fight off his back and try to capotilize with his jujitsu when he saw an oppening or capitalize everytime they found them selves on their feet again he would have won.

Look at Silva vs Sonnen, especially the first fight. A.Silva was the freshes of the 2 going into the 5th and he looked more confident then Sonnen did. Now I have a feeling Anderson could have fought off more of Sonnens take down attemps but he preffered not to because he would have exerted too much energy.

Anybody with me?

2. tenniswhiz

tenniswhiz Steel Belt

There is a big difference between receiving GnP from Cain Velasquez and receiving GnP from Chael Sonnen.

3. Rawex

Rawex -

[​IMG]

4. wilKO

wilKO Green, White & Gold belt

Nope. Not at all. If that's the case why did Anderson fight the takedowns like mad in the 2nd fight?

5. Valencia1721

Valencia1721 White Belt

Agreed, Chael doesn't hit the intent nor the force to finish, Cain does.

6. Brunodf

Brunodf Yellow Belt

Here we go

7. Wellloved

Wellloved White Belt

Well a spent JDS was able to take his GnP for 5 rounds I`m thinking he would have been able to defend himself way more intelligently from his back if he still stamina left.

8. SuperKenMasters

SuperKenMasters White Belt

R1! looks like a murder scene

9. kaufman03

kaufman03 Purple Belt

this looks like a murder scene

10. Mooner

Mooner Banned Banned

Anderson never had the ability to scramble up to the feet like JDS.. That's one of his weakness. Decent takedown defense, but terrible scrambling abilities.

11. TEXASMOJO

TEXASMOJO Brown Belt

Huge difference.

12. Elysianwing

Elysianwing Mr. Mojo Risin' Belt

If Anderson legitimately had fucked ribs in the first fight, there is no chance in hell he had the core strength in him to stop a takedown or get out from underneath Chael, imo. I doubt it was his choice to work from his back to save energy, specifically, rather he had the choice of racking his body with pain trying to fight back to his feet...or defend himself from the bottom and look for his opening.

13. GSP Apologist

GSP Apologist Banned Banned

Impressive GnP on a blind man

14. Wellloved

Wellloved White Belt

I though about that fight But, I think Big Foot just doens`t know how to defend from his back. JDS was spent and faired better of his back in 5 rounds. Congo didn`t fair that bad on his back agaisnt Cain either.

Actually Congo is perfect example of what i`m saying every time he was on his feet he came close to Ko'ing Cain. that`s cause he wasnt gassed from resesting take down spams like JDS did.

15. tenniswhiz

tenniswhiz Steel Belt

That's a good point, and it's also a physical thing. A taller, leaner, rangier build makes certain things more difficult once in bottom position on the ground.
    Hard to escape from the ground, and hard to escape back to guard from side control/mount. The longer legs and less core strength actually make these things more difficult.

It remains to be seen, but I feel pretty strongly that if a big strong wrestler like Cain Velasquez got Jon Jones down and into side control, the fight would be all but over for Jones.

16. GiantSilva

GiantSilva Green Belt

i'm not convinced but still an interesting point.

17. Bleedforme**

Bleedforme** Orange Belt

Spider had broken rib. So funny you retards don't realize this.

18. jimbob27

jimbob27 Ken Shamrock Belt

Yeah, I think you make some good points. Anderson was clearly much more comfortable off his back than Dos Santos.

Like Werdum said, a lot of guys get put on their back and all they want to do is get back up. That certainly wasn't the case in Anderson vs Chael. Anderson looked calm and composed off his back. Maybe he didn't want to be there, which is why he resisted the takedowns, but once he was there he was calm and collected and able to prevent Chael's attacks doing any real damage. The first lesson they teach you in BJJ is not to panic when you're in a bad position, and that's a difficult thing to do when the guy on top is throwing haymakers.

Dos Santos was just powering his way back to his feet with a 250lb man using all his weight and strength to try and stop him. He wasn't using efficient bjj escapes or reversals, he was using his strength to stand back up which was hugely draining on him. Hell, even the best technique in the world sometimes doesn't work, as can be seen in the second Hughes vs BJ fight, where hughes drains BJ's stamina dry with takedown attempts.

19. maddwarf

maddwarf Green Belt

BWAHAHAHA!!!! LOL oh my god just wow!

20. tenniswhiz

tenniswhiz Steel Belt

And some guys get put in a standing position and all they want to do is flop to their back.