After watching JDS lose, I think fighting from his back was Silvas strategy vs Sonnen

Huge Anderson fan here offering my take on the near loss to Sonnen, since I haven't seen a single reasonable take on that fight from a Spider fan, which is regrettable.

Anderson did not want to be dominated the way he was. Laying there getting dominated was not part of the plan. He did his best to resist the take downs and was trying to hurt Chael whenever he could, standing. Silva is fucking incredible, but he's not perfect. He had a pretty poor performance, that night.

Submitting Chael was part of the plan, but there are many other positions that you can submit somebody from. Anderson probably wanted to handle Chael much in the same way he handled Hendo.

That said. Anderson did an amazing job avoiding real damage and made the best of bad night. He's an amazing champion.

This.

Ok, you can only write so much on a thread title. I think some ppl are not getting what I was trying to say.

Off course Silva always would prefer to keep any fight standing that's always plan A. But Anderson style is always to stay calm and preserve energy I'm sure plan B was; If resisting the take down or fighting to get back up is too taxing, just fight from your back and wait for an opportunity to attack with jujitsu or an opportunity to get back up easily.

Off course Anderson has weaknesses and he knows it that's actually why he used that strategy he can't effortlessly scramble back up like Chuck use I to for example.

I am NOT saying his plan was to pull guard or anything like that. I'm also admitting that that strategy could back fire one day, but against a relentless wrestler it will always be his best bet. That's one of this reasons I believe Waidelman has a good chance at beating A.Silva. Big composed wrestler with effective GnP and apparently great BJJ.

He successfully used that strategy twice in the past against 2 other opponents, D Handerson & Lutter. with Lutter it was even more blatant there were occasion where he could have tried to get up but he opted not to.

As far as people saying this wouldn't work for JDS against Cain because he would get mauled here are my arguments against:

Congo who can't properly defend himself on the ground when he's not in a dominant position faired better in 3 rounds on the ground with Cain and that's only because he wasn't gassed.

I'm CERTAIN that a fresh JDS would do better on his back while full on stamina and if he were just focusing on not taking damage and not allowing Cain to transition to a better position or waiting for an easly chance to get back up.

As you can see on the video while standing; Kongo who isn't has good of a boxer as JDS, kept his hands up and boxed with Cain as long as he could and almost put him to sleep. that was about 30 seconds of stand up!!

when JDS rematches Cain, I'm banking on the fact that he uses that strategy and KO's Cain!

I'll be taking bets when the time comes. [email protected] FYI I like Cain but I still believe JDS is better. it's 1-1 right now

Look at Silva vs Sonnen, especially the first fight. A.Silva was the freshes of the 2 going into the 5th and he looked more confident then Sonnen did. Now I have a feeling Anderson could have fought off more of Sonnens take down attemps but he preffered not to because he would have exerted too much energy.

Anybody with me?
No. Did you forgot that if Chael was a bit better in his submission game Anderson would have lost that fight by UD? You don't get taken down for 5 rounds due to strategy.

Back