Advice on how to prevent getting grapple "raped"

aus101

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
In short- Do any posters have any tips on how to defend against getting submitted (by a BJJ blue belt), in a back yard grappling situation? No strikes, no penalty for refusing to engage, basically he has to catch and submit me.

Long story-
Feel free to skip the rest of the post.

Basically one of my friends threatened to have our BJJ friend "rape" me during a pub argument. The BJJ guy will often make people he knows tap to him while drinking (a weird sexual thing maybe?), but I wrestled freestyle for a couple years in junior school, basically one of the only schoolboy clubs in Australia at the time and I was p4p (and probably the open weight, despite being super light) best.
Obviously a proud wrestler isn't going to so easily concede defeat here, and I protested that if I just refused to engage it would be almost impossible for our blue belt friend to sub me. (I'm envisioning a shut out Shaub style here).

My wrestling credentials were laughed at and basically they both think I will be "raped" (their, quite troubling, words) in seconds.

Now what should I do to survive? I haven't grappled since "sixth grade" in 2002, though played rugby union and 1, 2, 3 pin bullrush and other grappling games every week throughout high school. He outweighs me by at least 15 pounds but is 6'2 compared to my 5'10, he also doesn't lift, just does BJJ. I do, religiously, and therefore should be a fair bit stronger. Whenever he's tried "moves" on me before I've been able to shrug him off quite easily, for example I claimed I could easily just stand up out of his guard one night when he was getting boastful of his amazing skills and after starting in his closed guard did just that.

So, because of that I was envisioning circling away in wrestling stance, trying to keep a strong posture and not let him grab control of my wrists, push away every time he tries clinching, stuff then disengage if he shoots for my legs etc.

Cliffs
-is it really possible to simply avoid a BJJ blue belt trying to submit you by refusing to engage? I have a strength advantage and was taught freestyle by ex soviet wrestlers for two years in junior school (training us like little Russians). My friend is a BJJ blue who mainly is a guard puller, long and lanky style (he's mentioned arm drags and trips as his go to takedowns).

In short- Do any posters have any tips on how to defend against getting submitted (by a BJJ blue belt), in a back yard grappling situation? No strikes, no penalty for refusing to engage, basically he has to catch and submit me.

Long story-
Feel free to skip the rest of the post.

Basically one of my friends threatened to have our BJJ friend "rape" me during a pub argument. The BJJ guy will often make people he knows tap to him while drinking (a weird sexual thing maybe?), but I wrestled freestyle for a couple years in junior school, basically one of the only schoolboy clubs in Australia at the time and I was p4p (and probably the open weight, despite being super light) best.
Obviously a proud wrestler isn't going to so easily concede defeat here, and I protested that if I just refused to engage it would be almost impossible for our blue belt friend to sub me. (I'm envisioning a shut out Shaub style here).

My wrestling credentials were laughed at and basically they both think I will be "raped" (their, quite troubling, words) in seconds.

Now what should I do to survive? I haven't grappled since "sixth grade" in 2002, though played rugby union and 1, 2, 3 pin bullrush and other grappling games every week throughout high school. He outweighs me by at least 15 pounds but is 6'2 compared to my 5'10, he also doesn't lift, just does BJJ. I do, religiously, and therefore should be a fair bit stronger. Whenever he's tried "moves" on me before I've been able to shrug him off quite easily, for example I claimed I could easily just stand up out of his guard one night when he was getting boastful of his amazing skills and after starting in his closed guard did just that.

So, because of that I was envisioning circling away in wrestling stance, trying to keep a strong posture and not let him grab control of my wrists, push away every time he tries clinching, stuff then disengage if he shoots for my legs etc.

Cliffs
-is it really possible to simply avoid a BJJ blue belt trying to submit you by refusing to engage? I have a strength advantage and was taught freestyle by ex soviet wrestlers for two years in junior school (training us like little Russians). My friend is a BJJ blue who mainly is a guard puller, long and lanky style (he's mentioned arm drags and trips as his go to takedowns).

doesn't the fact that you're even on this forum asking for advice on how not to get submitted prove that you lost the argument? otherwise you'd trust enough in your wrestling (as you presumably boasted in your pub debates) to not have to bother.

no gi? if you dont want to engange, then its going to be very hard for him to do squad to you... if hes lanky, his forte is probalby the close guard, dont get in it and just let time goes by, but then again... if you are not there to grapple then why are you there? are you starting on your feet? even easier.

He is way better than you on the ground at this time... but you dont have to play his game if you dont want to, if you do, is not like hes some type of jedi either so you may or may not get away...

doesn't the fact that you're even on this forum asking for advice on how not to get submitted prove that you lost the argument? otherwise you'd trust enough in your wrestling (as you presumably boasted in your pub debates) to not have to bother.

My wrestling has always meant I could handle much larger untrained guys easily enough in grappling situations, but I've never grappled against an actual BJJer other than the one or two times he tried to trip me, the guard situation etc. For all I know circling and disengaging might be as foolish and easily to counter as a front headlock is to a bjjer.
Plenty of experienced grapplers here who would know if my " theories" have any real merit as a grappling defence strategy that I could pull off.

no gi? if you dont want to engange, then its going to be very hard for him to do squad to you... if hes lanky, his forte is probalby the close guard, dont get in it and just let time goes by, but then again... if you are not there to grapple then why are you there? are you starting on your feet? even easier.

He is way better than you on the ground at this time... but you dont have to play his game if you dont want to, if you do, is not like hes some type of jedi either so you may or may not get away...

Thank you, that's what I was thinking. Yeah no gi, on the feet etc. I just have to not get subbed, most of our friends he taps barely even watch MMA and obviously give up their backs, full mount etc in seconds whenever they drunkenly roll, so I assume he thinks he can auto tap any non bjjer in seconds. The guy who was claiming he would rape me is his number one victim lol. Poor guy.

fake a double and jump up and do a standing guillotine on that sucka

Can someone please post something about Brendan Schuabe already?

Make him take you down. If he can, you lost, if he can't, you win. Since you are the self-described grade school wrestler, I'd give you a 50-50 chance.

If you do get stuck in a submission attempt you can always check his oil.

How long do you need to prevent the sexual assault to be victorious in this wager?

You were trained by soviets? Brah just pull this one off!

Zangief-piledriver.gif

He's a blue belt so the worst that could happen is that he completely tools you, regardless of what you do. Or he could be unable to do anything at all without you engaging. Idk.

If he gets you to the ground. Hug him for as long as you can and scream "RAPE!" until help arrives. Maybe bring a whistle

How long do you need to prevent the sexual assault to be victorious in this wager?

This

If there is no time limit its kinda a lose/lose for you. Your not going to submit him and he gets all the time in the world to work.

That being said if he pulls guard, focus on posturing up, and keeping your posture up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_3TyX9RCk0
[YT]w_3TyX9RCk0[/YT]

As a general rule in closed guard, dont put your hands on the ground, dont extend your arms to far forward, dont cross your arms over his centre line, and dont put one arm under his legs - either both under or none.

If you can stand up and try to keep the fight standing, if you find yourself on bottom keep your arms in close to your body, and look to explode out of positions when you have the chance, dont settle for being in bad positions, use your takedowns as sweeps to either get dominant top position or to stand up.

Edit: also if things get hairy, try and force scrambles you should have an advantage here

Back