Advice needed for pull day

Judoka_ said:
again its the mechanics of the pull.

clean grip high-pull is with the drive of your legs and a high pull is your arms

A high pull is a clean pull pulled high. A pull is an explosive lift that involves driving the weight with the lower body to generate momentum. A clean grip just describes the hand placement and the high just describes the height to which you pull. A high clean pull (also called a high pull, by the way) is a clean grip pull pulled high. Same thing...

chia said:
A high pull is a clean pull pulled high. A pull is an explosive lift that involves driving the weight with the lower body to generate momentum. A clean grip just describes the hand placement and the high just describes the height to which you pull. A high clean pull (also called a high pull, by the way) is a clean grip pull pulled high. Same thing...

you may want to re-think that.

a clean pull hat is pulled HIGH is not called a high pull. its called a clean pull, the name never changes.

you have toset your body up as if you were going to clean the bar its the second phase of a clean. It is different then a high-pull

Barut said:
I've never heard of anyone lifting more on good mornings than squat. You are a mutant.

Heheheh, I wish it wasn't so cause then I'd have a pretty good squat.
By the way, whats the average ratio? I know that it can obviously vary quite a bit due to several influencing factors...but just roughly based on your experience.

It is called a high clean pull, often shortened to high pull. That's what 90+% of lifters call it. I don't know where you learned your terminology.

i said clean pull and you said high clean pull

its not like its that different

You're right. That means that a high clean pull and a clean pull are the same. And a high pull is the same as a high clean pull. I already said that.

chia said:
You're right. That means that a high clean pull and a clean pull are the same. And a high pull is the same as a high clean pull. I already said that.

ussually highpulls mean they are upright rows but clean pulls that are pulled high look exactly the same just diffrent mechanics thats all

Judoka_ said:
ussually highpulls mean they are upright rows but clean pulls that are pulled high look exactly the same just diffrent mechanics thats all

I guess what I'm saying is that 90+% of lifters use the term high pull to describe a high clean pull NOT an upright row. In fact, you are the first person I've ever communicated with that refers to a row as a pull.

Yea but i dont hit up ordinary gyms, im in oly gyms and we never use the term high pull we just say Clean pull ( when its light it goes high)

im sure you can understand where i am coming from

So you should know the difference between a pull and a row.

chia said:
So you should know the difference between a pull and a row.

if you have not noticed thats what i was trying to establish

listen, before you post again.

i thought you where talking about an upright ROW not an acctual clean pull but since you and many others call clean pulls that are pulled high, HIGH pulls.

do you get it?

Universal said:
Heheheh, I wish it wasn't so cause then I'd have a pretty good squat.
By the way, whats the average ratio? I know that it can obviously vary quite a bit due to several influencing factors...but just roughly based on your experience.

Hmmm....I can back squat ~ 450 and can GM 290 for 5 reps.

Barut said:

damn you and your squat

one day i will be up there *starts to cry*

Barut said:

Christ -- I need to hit the good mornings more often. That seems heavy as hell to me, too. How far down do you go? I try to get a little past parallel w/ the floor, but I'm thinking 200 or so would be about my limit for 5 reps. I can squat and dead decent numbers, but my GM's are nowhere near you guys. Hmmm... I wonder if it has anything to do w/ the fact that I hardly ever do them. No -- couldn't be.

fat_wilhelm said:
Christ -- I need to hit the good mornings more often. That seems heavy as hell to me, too. How far down do you go? I try to get a little past parallel w/ the floor, but I'm thinking 200 or so would be about my limit for 5 reps. I can squat and dead decent numbers, but my GM's are nowhere near you guys. Hmmm... I wonder if it has anything to do w/ the fact that I hardly ever do them. No -- couldn't be.

Not a chance

Dude, thats 7 exercises. How the fuck are you going to do that?

It would take hours to do that. I do 4 on pull/push day and that takes 2 hours and I go hard.

Fuck.

Furthermore, why are you doing legs on a back day? Is that on purpose?

For a pull day try this:

Wide grip, palms away pull ups.
Bent over rows.

Alternate sets and do em both till you can't. Then go home.

Leg day:

1 Squat variant
1 Deadlift variant

Push Day:

Standing overhead press
Close grip bench
Flat bench

Oddball day:

Snatch
Clean and Jerk
High Pulls
Plyo's
Grip work
Abs

Maybe its just me but I see better results when I pick a couple lifts, ie 2 or 3, and work them to death. If I try to do 5+ lifts on one day, I can't go full out on any of them and don't see full benefits.

On a day with squats, anything other than showering is hard. If you can do squats AND 6 other exercises, you need to do more fucking squats.

Ok, I'm out. Either way, work hard and have fun dude.

It's not a romanian deadlift unless yous tart from the top position dude.

Thanx King. I understand where you're coming from but I'm doing it this way for a few specific reasons but it won't always be this way. As far as the duration of the session...yeah it'll take a bit longer than I'd like it too but it won't be that bad.
Like I always say man, different strokes for different folkes but I like your approach and do plan on training in a simmilar way in the near future.
Cheers.

CarnalSalvation said:
It's not a romanian deadlift unless yous tart from the top position dude.

Sorry man, just to make sure you mean what I think you do, please clarify ''start from the top positon.
Thanx.

fat_wilhelm said:

I tried them to see how good of an assistanse/occasional replacement lift they would be for DL's so did them with simmilar mechanics (as advised by Louie Simmons). I hope you don't mean bending down lower than parallel when you say that you try to get past parallel. Anyways, I stop a bit short of parallel but still go down very deep and with a strong arch.

Back