Advice in "gassing out" in BJJ class.

HangmansJoke

White Belt
Reaction score
I just had my first BJJ class yesterday. It was probably one of the hardest workouts that I have ever been through in my entire life. We rolled around for about two hours. I come from a wrestling background and I have been through a lot of grueling workouts with that, but it compares nothing to this. I had to go puke my guts up after about a half hour of rolling with a much heavier partner. I felt extremely discouraged because I have never puked off of a workout before. It has been about 4-5yrs since I have been physically active in a sport, and I do smoke which never helps. I am out of shape, but I don't believe I am incredibly out of shape. I am 6'0, 150-155lbs, and athletic. The grueling workout I can handle, and the uncomfortable training that is to be experienced is ok with me because I have went through that mental aspect of it with wrestling. I kinda know what to expect with it, but that was beyond anything I have ever felt. I don't want to hold class up because I have to step outside to puke my guts up everytime I go to roll around with my classmates, it is a little embarassing to me on this basis alone.

So the point of my story is this:

Obviously I assume that the first couple times you start out with BJJ, it is really rough. I am wondering if I can get some tips on preventing myself from getting to the point of getting physically sick. Tips I can use to help get my cardio up faster, and ease into it sooner. On average, how long would you say it takes to become mat ready in BJJ (Physical aspect, not technical)? Even some of your starting experiences in relation to this issue would help ease my mind a little.

Don't get me wrong, I fully intend on going to every class I can, even if I have to puke my guts up everytime because I want this in a bad way. I have always had a passion with MMA and becoming a cage fighter one day, and I am to determined not to. I am just hoping for some friendly advice on the issue.

Thanks to any that have input, and I appreciate it greatly.

Zach Dean

Thanks for your input and direction in the matter. I realize I am out of shape, but I think there is more to it then just being out of shape. The workout is extreme, and I don't know if I should pace myself or continue to go full throttle. I just don't know if pacing yourself in this sport is frowned apon or not, so I guess that is another issue of mine.

Thanks for you input though, I will look into that.

Obviously I assume that the first couple times you start out with BJJ, it is really rough. I am wondering if I can get some tips on preventing myself from getting to the point of getting physically sick. Tips I can use to help get my cardio up faster, and ease into it sooner. On average, how long would you say it takes to become mat ready in BJJ (Physical aspect, not technical)? Even some of your starting experiences in relation to this issue would help ease my mind a little.

No need to worry.

You are not the only one who went through this. Starting BJJ is like a shell shock to the body and mind in my opinion.
Everyone had to go through their period of adjustment, the body will adapt.

Keep going, don't pace yourself! A hard warm-up helps mentally and physically. If you always do a hard warm-up at class and give it 100%, you will breeze through it after a few weeks.

We had people close to passing out from the warm-ups alone, they were so out of shape. After a few weeks of sticking with it, they were fine.

When it comes to rolling and you start to feel sick, just take a break for a few minutes, then go again, instead of IMMEDIATELy going to the point of exhaustion. Leave it all out their, but not on the first roll necessarily.

Make sure you eat the right food and not too soon before class, to help with the puking bit.

most of us had a similar problem when started training BJJ.Your conditioning will get much better in few months or at least you will get use to it.But the most important thing is that after some time you will use more of your technique and less of your strength so it will get much easier.
just don't give up.

There are a number of things that you can do in between classes to increase your cardio. I smoke so I know how much fun training can be. Rowing machine (not only good for the cardio but will start to acclimatise you to the muscle endurance you will need) Cycling very good in general and any stair climbing machine. Again will help with the muscle endurance. As mentioned before do not go all out all the time. No one does. Breath as always is very important. Make sure you are breathing at a constant rate as much as possible. Near hyperventilating will induce nausea more quickly.

yes its hard when you start, regardless if you are 'fit' in other ways. just keep at it but most importantly-

STOP FUCKING SMOKING.

that is all.

Like everyone else said, it will take a little bit before your conditioning is good enough to keep going without feeling ill.

You can however help yourself in the short term by not eating too close to training time, and if you feel like you need to down a litre of water after 15 minutes of rolling, don't. That water will just swish around your stomach and make you feel even more sick.

Dont spazz out and exhaust yourself in the first 30secs of rolling.

You might also want to put some weight on, 150lbs at 6'0 is hellva light.

most people who come from a wrestling background will gass out early in BJJ because of the agressive strength based style, you have to learn to relax in BJJ, it will take time, but once you can relax, you will last much longer. I can roll for an hour and still have energy to go, it comes down to knowing when you can relax, basically you should be using 0 strength and then when you execute a sweep or something you use explosiveness and then back down to 0 again, instead of putting like 100% in for the full 5/6 minutes., hope that makes sense.

most people who come from a wrestling background will gass out early in BJJ because of the agressive strength based style, you have to learn to relax in BJJ, it will take time, but once you can relax, you will last much longer. I can roll for an hour and still have energy to go, it comes down to knowing when you can relax, basically you should be using 0 strength and then when you execute a sweep or something you use explosiveness and then back down to 0 again, instead of putting like 100% in for the full 5/6 minutes., hope that makes sense.

I totally aggree, it depends on how you spar. Im guessing that with the wrestling background you spar explossively and very aggressively. You should remember that you can spar aggressively without spazzing out.

You can controll your opponent and their movements with minimal energy if you are using technique rather than going mental to try and kill your sparring partner.

Worry more about technique and the philosophy of jiu jitsu, then concentrate on your conditioning. I would make increasing your flexibility as a higher prority than getting better cardio or getting physically stronger.

"I have been through a lot of grueling workouts with that, but it compares nothing to this. I had to go puke my guts up after about a half hour of rolling with a much heavier partner. I felt extremely discouraged because I have never puked off of a workout before."

This is a common thing to hear from people who have just started jiu jitsu. It is a work-out like no other. Like many things your body is not used to, you simply need to get your body used to it, and the only way to do this is to put in the time

I do smoke which never helps. I am out of shape, but I don't believe I am incredibly out of shape.

Seriously if you want to progress in jiu jitsu, quit smoking...now! Get on it today, get on a treatment plan, get some gum, do something, but stop this right now, and you will notice a big change

I don't want to hold class up because I have to step outside to puke my guts up everytime I go to roll around with my classmates, it is a little embarassing to me on this basis alone.

Push yourself as hard as you can...and people will appreicate that. People at the club will know that you are new, and seeing as some of them initially experienced the same thing as you they will understand. If you are actually holding up the class, becuase you feel that you have to sit out to puke every 30-60 seconds, than sit out until it has subsided, and than jump back into class.

Other things to consider...as many others have pointed out, hit the gym, and focus on your cardio! That is a quick solution to the problem as well

Additionally, an often overlooked subject...diet
Clean up your diet, and if you are puking at/in class, do not eat anything heavy right before class. If you are going to have an actual meal, make sure that it is 2-3 hours before training (in this case ensure that you eat right after you train because you will be HUNGRY!)
And if that does not work, have a small snack an hour before (some fruit, or a smoothy)

hope that helps man!

Good training to you!

Well other than the ridiculously obvious advice, stop smoking, there are a couple of little things you can do that might help.

I am fairly new to BJJ myself but one thing that really helped me was to focus entirely on technique. Make sure that when you do something, it is an actual technique that you have been taught. What I mean by this, is don't use energy pushing or pulling at something that isn't even a technique of any kind, but rather just something you are doing out of desperation. You will probably get tapped a lot doing this, but you will be able to pay much closer attention to what is happening to you and learn from it.

There is a blue belt at my school that I have rolled with a million times. When we would first roll together he would tap me over ten times in a five minute roll. I finally realized that he wasn't even really doing anything to catch me. He was mostly just sitting there, waiting for me to do something stupid out of desperation and then he would catch me. He is still a good deal better than me, but at least now its a more productive roll for both of us.

tbone

uhm what academy are you attending? And what type of work out? Just rolling or like physical conditioning also?

Initially people 'stress' too much and just throw themselves around 'spazzing'. Relax and take things slower, you'll learn better that way. Think about your moves and what you want to do, rather than relying on strength and speed. Don't care so much about getting tapped either, it'll be happen ALOT .. forever. Get used to it so tap, roll again and learn from the mistakes; the more you tap the more you learn.

Just keep doing your best and stay consistent and you will get in shape in time. Doing BJJ for the first time is a rather eye opening experience in terms of conditioning though.

The key is to relax. Try to breath as much as possible. Remember when you are beginning not to use to much strength and speed to produce results. This will get you gassed very quickly and will not allow you to roll for very long.

The main reason I started training was to get back in shape. I had a buddy when I was in the Marine Corps who had started teaching me a little, so I knew it was an ass-kicking workout.

I have not actually puked yet, but there were a few times durring my first few classes that I had to take a few minutes to prevent myself from doing so.

At this point I'm still not in great shape, but I haven't felt sick while rolling for awhile. Besides just adjusting to BJJ, I think working on my cardio on the days that I'm not training has helped a lot.

And like some others have said, learn to relax.

BJJ is a pretty specific type of conditioning. I see guys that are "out of shape" roll thru the whole class without busting a sweat. Just keep at it and pace your self. The first classes are tough as you rely on alot more strength and power than techniques. Once you start getting good technique it will go alot smoother. Just keep going to class you wont be able to stop yourself from gaining conditioning if you keep rolling.

Back