Advice in "gassing out" in BJJ class.

Thanks for your input and direction in the matter. I realize I am out of shape, but I think there is more to it then just being out of shape. The workout is extreme, and I don't know if I should pace myself or continue to go full throttle. I just don't know if pacing yourself in this sport is frowned apon or not, so I guess that is another issue of mine.

Thanks for you input though, I will look into that.

It is known as the lazy art, dontcha know!

Shit, I've been doing BJJ for a few years now, and I still gas in almost every class. It does get easier to deal with over time, but it's part of the sport.

There Will Be Gassage.

Some guys in my class roll a really fast pace (not spaz, just intense), and if I want to keep up and not get my guard passed, I have to match them, which is very tiring. I'm not the most athletic person, and I've had a few injuries which prevent me from doing a lot of running to improve my conditioning, so I gas faster than most of the guys in my class.

We usually get in four 5 minute rolls per class (sometimes more, sometimes less), and by the 4th roll, I'm usually gassed the fuck out. By this time I'm usually just holding on and just trying to survive. It does do good for my skills at escaping subs and positions though, because at that time I have no strength and explosiveness left in my tank to get out of positions/subs, so I have to work pure technique.

Cardio and conditioning is probably my biggest weakness in BJJ. I often get put in bad positions by guys who have less technique, but greater strength and conditioning. It sucks, but I just have to keep working at it.

story of my life...:icon_neut

Someone asked what school I was attending. My first class was at a local school with about 3 other guys, very small. Webster's Mixed Martial Arts in Muncie, IN. I am also planning on attending a BJJ acedemy founded by Saulo Ribeiro in the Triangle Club at Lima, OH. I figure these two schools will excell my learning curve enough to the point where I can eventually try to make my way over to Team Jorge Gurgel's Academy in West Chester, OH. I would love to go there now but it is way to expensive in gas, and I want to atleast know the basics before I start to train with high caliber guys at this academy. So that is my plan that I have set for myself, hopefully I can fulfill it.

So I will relax more, learn technique, go hard but in a smart manner, and use some patience as everything will come in time. No big meals before training would probably benefit me too. haha

Again, thanks for the advice and making me feel really good about joining this community. You guys are all great!! Any more advice is always welcome, but if not, I hope to share many a more conversations with a lot of you via-internet.

Have a great week everyone!!
Zach Dean

Come on over to JG... That' where I train. You needn't be the best grappler out there to come train with us. Some of us suck too and are just starting out.

And please, let's just stick to calling it BJJ/MMA. No cage fighting. Sounds like you're in Napoleon Dynamite :icon_chee

Come on over to JG... That' where I train. You needn't be the best grappler out there to come train with us. Some of us suck too and are just starting out.

And please, let's just stick to calling it BJJ/MMA. No cage fighting. Sounds like you're in Napoleon Dynamite :icon_chee

haha.. Alright man, BJJ/MMA it is. lol

I will head up that way as soon as I can afford it, I live about an hour and 45min away from the school. I will be coming up next week to take a tour of the facility, and hopefully get a free class out of it. That school has been referred by a lot of people around my area, and it sounds like this school produces nothing but successful fighters. I definitely will be getting my ass in that school asap.

Probably see ya around. Take care!

Zach Dean

Thanks for your input and direction in the matter. I realize I am out of shape, but I think there is more to it then just being out of shape. The workout is extreme, and I don't know if I should pace myself or continue to go full throttle. I just don't know if pacing yourself in this sport is frowned apon or not, so I guess that is another issue of mine.

Thanks for you input though, I will look into that.

BJJ is about pacing yourself. one of hte hardest things to lean, IMO, is to relax and breathe while you roll. when you first start rolling you will be very tense and will gas out quickly becuase of it. you learn to realx and pace yourself over time.

Back